1. The Sherdog Forums are currently experiencing technical difficulties, and we are working on it. We apologize for the inconvenience.

DQed for being boring

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by genki sugoi, May 30, 2014.

1. genki sugoi

genki sugoi Blue Belt

Did anyone else just see those 2 brown belts get DQed for lack of action. TBH I don't blame the ref. This is my first time streaming an event, is this common?

2. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

im sure they got 2 warnings before being DQ'd?

3. genki sugoi

genki sugoi Blue Belt

Yeah they did, didn't know that happened though. They were pretty much just sitting in spider guard for the whole match.

4. ThatBJJGuy

ThatBJJGuy Brown Belt

was it a double guard pull?

the rules changed where your only allowed 20 seconds there

5. genki sugoi

genki sugoi Blue Belt

Yeah, they did that too which looked weird to me.

6. Scrody

Scrody Gold Belt Platinum Member

Sounds boring

7. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I wish it happened more often. Stalling is the biggest problem in competitive BJJ.

Most of the complaints about modern BJJ can be distilled down to variants of stalling. Nobody has a problem with the guys sincerely going after it. It's the intentionally trying to win by advantage crew that is spreading the poison.

8. SuperAzn812

SuperAzn812 Green Belt

This.

9. FatherSauce

FatherSauce Blue Belt

Get rid of advantages? One of the local feds here does essentially IBJJF scoring minus advantages and I like it.

10. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

I like what Ryan Hall said, something along the lines of "BJJ is the only sport that gives advantages, you dont get half a point in basketball for shooting and hitting the rim"

11. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Not true, even in grappling - a score of Yuko in Judo is essentially an advantage.

12. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

I dont know alot about Judo tbh, Ryan may not have even said that exactly I was paraphrasing from memory.

How do most Judoka feel about Yuko? Is it as prone to abuse as advantages in BJJ?

13. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Well, the scores in Judo are Ippon, Wazari and Yuko (formerly also Koka). Ippon instantly wins a match and comes from a big throw onto the back, a submission, a pin held for 25 seconds or two scores of Wazari ("Wazari Awasete Ippon" - two wazari equals Ippon). Wazari comes from a throw not quite deserving Ippon or a pin held for 15 seconds. Yuko is from a throw not deserving a wazari, so we're really talking throwing someone onto their shoulder with minimal force and/or control. You can get an unlimited number of Yuko scores but a single Wazari will trump those scores.

"Playing for Yuko" or "Koka Judo" is very much frowned upon and is a big problem. Most Judoka still want the Ippon, but a lot seem content to win by a low score especially in major international competitions (Teddy Riner often just gets a score then stiff-arms and does just enough to not get a Shido, for example). It has resulted in score inflation - throws that 10 years ago would only just scrape a Yuko are being given Wazari.

14. genki sugoi

genki sugoi Blue Belt

Yeah, tbh this event kind of turned me off from competing, at least in an IBJJF competition. I was about to invite some coworkers over to watch since we work from home on Fridays, but really glad I didn't. There were some good matches, but a lot of them were so boring. I'd rather get submitted and at least have fun than just sit there scissoring and grip fighting. I prefer the submission only format myself I guess. Also IBJJF should get there stuff together and have the names of who's fighting on the screen when it's streaming along with the scores. I had no idea what was going on during half the matches.

15. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I disagree. With the first part, BJJ isn't really a spectator sport anyway. Sure there are boring matches but there are plenty of exciting ones too. That is BJJ and that is a lot of sports. Not every sport is exciting.

Without advantages, we would need a sudden death system in place then. I prefer advantages but I'd like to see some matches without to compare.

For the second point, IBJJF is doing an incredible job with these streams. You have every mat streaming in great quality (12 mats!), you can switch between and even watch multiple mats at once. With their timing system, you can see the order of the fights, who is fighting, and who is on deck. That is great.

In a perfect world, sure - I'd love to see their names, time left, score, etc all on the screen. At least for the Sunday matches. But for ~$40 you get hundreds of hours of matches without any technical issues. I'm very happy with what you get.

16. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

At the last Olympics there was a gold medal match between (forgive me for my unfamiliarity with the combatants) I think a Nordic judoka and a former Soviet block judoka (again, I'm probably way off on the nationalities). The former Soviet guy scored 1 point in the first thirty seconds of the match for something I couldn't figure out, then completely stalled the rest of the match to win 1-0. The Nordic guy was far more aggressive, seemingly more skilled, and had a bunch of near-throws where the soviet block guy would just give himself up and turtle each time to avoid giving up points. I pity any man who can call himself the victor after a match like that.

17. KarateFist

KarateFist Purple Belt

this is because you are a loser

18. beepee

beepee Orange Belt

Koka judo is basically playing for advatages and was pretty much the main reason leg grabs got banned in competitive judo. Everyone hates that style of rule spamming no matter what the sport!!

19. beepee

beepee Orange Belt

A complete ball breaker of a match no doubt but unfortunately once the stakes get high enough this shit will happen. Sportkiller style judo for the win!!!

20. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Nah, man! It was because 'Murrican wrasslers were dominating and the Japanese got scared!!!1 :icon_lol: