Douglas MacAthur - American Caesar

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
I saw this documentary when I was a kid. It's a fascinating look at an enigmatic and extraordinary Military Mind.

Check it Mofos!

baff6c84b4b98d7d25ec4dde4e104072.jpg

Huge ego, got outfought by a smaller Japanese force in the initial Philippines campaign, went crazy later with intention to go full-on nuclear against China.

Huge ego, got outfought by a smaller Japanese force in the initial Philippines campaign, went crazy later with intention to go full-on nuclear against China.
It was a time when generals try to finish wars.

If there ever is going to be a biopic. Let Bruce Willis have it.

general-douglas-macarthur-bruce-willis.jpg

I saw this documentary when I was a kid. It's a fascinating look at an enigmatic and extraordinary Military Mind.

Check it Mofos!

baff6c84b4b98d7d25ec4dde4e104072.jpg

I've been to his memorial where he walked ashore (for a photo-op) when fulfilling his promise to return. I lived on Leyte for years....lots of WWII history there. He seemed to get along with the Filipinos there much better than I did!

It's a fascinating look at an enigmatic and extraordinary Military Mind.
General Douglas MacArthur:
. Mama's boy at West Point. His mother moved just outside of West Point to be with her son.
. A 'prima donna' like Patton.
. Fled from the Philippines instead of staying with his soldiers and fighting. Pretty much a coward.
. Disobeyed orders from his Commander-in-Chief. Insubordination.
. Spoke badly of Eisenhower.
. Unfaithful to his wife.
. Brilliant strategist.

Last edited:
. Mama's boy at West Point. His mother moved just outside of West Point to be with her son.
. Fled from the Philippines instead of staying with his soldiers and fighting. Pretty much a coward.
. Brilliant strategists.

Surely he was excellent at the majority of his job, or he would have been replaced. And what married American wouldn't succumb to temptations of the flesh while saving the world?

. Brilliant strategists.

. Mama's boy at West Point. His mother moved just outside of West Point to be with her son. - Yes.

. A 'prima donna' like Patton. - Yes.

. Fled from the Philippines instead of staying with his soldiers and fighting. Pretty much a coward. - Ordered to leave.

. Disobeyed orders from his Commander-in-Chief. Insubordination. - Yes. Not Always for the worse.

. Spoke badly of Eisenhower. - This Matters? Eisenhower spoke poorly of him, Patton spoke poorly of both, & they of him. Such is the personality of these types.

. Unfaithful to his wife. IMO Irrelevant. He was a General and Warrior, not a Saint, much lesser do the same.

. Brilliant strategists - Yes In retrospect quite so.

As the Documentary states, if you want to hate MacArthur, or Love MacArthur, there's plenty fuel for either view, but if you want to understand there's a lot to the story.

Documentarywise: It's quite telling and worth the time to watch.

. Fled from the Philippines instead of staying with his soldiers and fighting. Pretty much a coward. - Ordered to leave.
Yeah, an order he chose to follow. That was the one order he should have disobeyed. You never leave your men behind to be captured or killed by the enemy. They either all stay together or leave together.

He could have easily said the order was never received. Garbled during communications. If I was under his command I would have lost complete respect for the man for leaving with his 'tail' between his legs. What was Roosevelt going to do? Fire him? That is what Truman did.

Yeah, an order he chose to follow. That was the one order he should have disobeyed. You never leave your men behind to be captured or killed by the enemy. They either all stay together or leave together.

He could have easily said the order was never received. Garbled during communications. If I was under his command I would have lost complete respect for the man for leaving with his 'tail' between his legs. What was Roosevelt going to do? Fire him? That is what Truman did.
Not taking sides here, as I know MacArthur is a bit over-rated. But if you could say anything positive about him, your condemnation would be taken more seriously.

Him leaving philippinians paved the way to his island hopping campaign from australia back to the philippinians and liberating the islands inbetween from the japanese.

Other great leaders:

Alexander the Great

Napoleon
359px-Jacques-Louis_David_-_The_Emperor_Napoleon_in_His_Study_at_the_Tuileries_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

George Washington

Robert E. Lee
324px-Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

Erwin Rommel

Patton

Back