double weave/thick bjj gis

BJJ Coffee Drinker

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
So what is a good gi that is practically built like a tank like some of the judo double weaves? I have a Mizuno Eurocomp and I really really like the gi and the durability of the double weave material. But, the cut is a little baggier than what I am used to. So, is there a gi out right now that is basically judo double weave like material and thickness but in a more tapered, tighter, bjj cut?

It seems this type of gi is more difficult to find nowadays with the huge trend towards light weight and rip stop gis. The closest I could think of was possibly an Atama double weave but that is discontinued with only A5's left on their site.

I am not looking for gold weaves as most tend to stretch over time and especially when wet. I am looking for double weave material where the material is tight and compact and does not stretch

Wow, I didn't know Atama discontinued their double weaves. That's a bummer. I was hoping that would be a gift to myself one day in the future for making ranks. I heard their double's quality was second to none.

I think that with that being the case, Isami is going to be your next best option, especially if you like Mizuno.

The dragaos are super hard to grip, because not only is the fabric thick and stiff but there's embroider everywhere.

Howards competition single comes in slim sizes and is fairly thick

this one got some good reviews a few years ago. the romulo gi from adidas
adidas_JJ800.html

HCK's comp. single is 740 gr. and Dragao Armlock is 990 gr.. Neither are double weaves but they are plenty heavy.

My Romulo gi top was awesome, but the pants were mc Hammer. Baggy to the point they hindered rolling

Howard Combat Kimonos all day. I have a Eurocomp as well and use it as my comp gi for bjj. I don't mind the cut, even the baggy sleeves, because the weave is rough and stiffer than the light gis; it's easy to break grips.

I've had every model of HCK except for the newest ripstop gi and can confirm that they are indeed a bjj cut. The comp double is the most fitted of the heavy gi models. I fit very comfortably into a size 4 (A2) single and comp single, but the comp double feels borderline illegal for competitions. Every model has that thick ass collar, which I love; BTW it's thicker and stiffer than my Eurocomp's collar.

I don't know why the Isami is considered a double weave. It's lighter than many single weaves I've owned. But it's definitely one of the most comfortable and high quality gis I've ever tried.

The Dragao Arm lock felt very sturdy but not very heavy. Collar was average thickness but super stiff, like cardboard.

By far the heaviest I've ever owned was the HCK absolute. It made warmups unbearable! Yeah it's heavy and hard to grip, etc... but it didn't breathe at all. The fit was great, but I only used it for competitions. Training and doing circuits and intervals in that thing was utter hell. The Gorilla Gear Judo gi is pretty close to a BJJ cut because it is a European cut, but the sleeves are still baggy and the skirt long; also VERY heavy but with the brushed cotton interior it breathed even LESS than the HCK absolute. I sold both because they were tearing up my washer, and I knew they had good resale value.

As mentioned, the trend seems to be toward lighter gis. I think I'm going that way as well, as it is much easier on my washing machine, and heavy gis sometimes take more than a day to dry. Also, during comps, my gi accumulates a lot of sweat and gets ridiculously heavy! I tried the Fushida Comp at a recent tourney and felt pretty comfortable near the end of the matches, even after I had 4 matches, because it was still pretty light.

I'm an admitted gi addict, so PM me if you have any more questions. I'm glad to help!!

Back