Double Standards Here

an extra punch to the chin is not nearly as damaging as having your knee permanently damaged. Harris is KNOWN for TRYING TO PERMANENTLY INJURE PEOPLE. He has said that himself many times!

People keep saying this, and they have no clue what they're talking about. Taking a full power shot from a professional fighter when you're unconscious could give you permanent brain damage. A person could die from that. Sure, it didn't happened in the instances mentioned, but that's not the point. Palhares was fired based on what COULD have happened to his opponents.

What is it with making the comparison with Hendo?

He purposely superman punched an unconscious fighter to "shut him up". Forget rules for a second. What the OP is saying is that many people were ecstatic after that Bisping KO, and they have used it to mock Bisping for years. For some of these same people to turn around and be disgusted by Palhares is rank hypocrisy. Surely you must see that.

Rules aside, either pressing the attack on a helpless opponent is something that excites fans, or something that repulses fans. To pretend its ok in cases where we all hate the fighter getting hurt, makes us just as bad as Palhares.

I understand the point that SOME people are in both camps of "Hendo's KO of Bisping is teh lulz" and "Paul Harris is a monster BAN HAMMER!" but a lot of people also think both of them are disrespectful and deserved to be punished equally. Perhaps the UFC is setting precedence for fighters in this new age of network deals and media spotlight to fighters who are "dirty". Just because they didn't suspend or fire people in the past for terrible offences doesn't mean that they can't ever start. Hopefully acts similar Hendo / Bisping and Rampage / Wand that might occur in the future under the UFC banner will see a similar result as Palhares as I find any disrespect to another fighters health to be simply put disgusting.

Hendo wasn't being stopped by the ref.

Hendo admitted he KNEW Bisping was out. You see him look at Bisping, load up, and destroy Bisping's face. The same is true of Rampage, who is also being pulled away by the referee.

I cannot believe people stick up for this s#it but bitch about a dumb guy who was clearly focused in on a submission and releases the very instance he notes the referee is there.

Interestingly enough, those who claim that Hendo was a hero are denying the facts about trauma and comparing it to a submission. Stupid and senseless. Apparently, unnecessary strikes are nothing compared to a heel hook. Have you any idea of how idiotic/hypocritical that statement is? Good grief its embarassing! Besides, its not like damage is subjective to just one aspect of the fighting. Think about it.

There is one point though: stop when the ref says so, not when a fighter screams, cries, given the benefit of the tap. All that aside, you fools aren't capable of such cognition it seems.

Hendo admitted he KNEW Bisping was out. You see him look at Bisping, load up, and destroy Bisping's face. The same is true of Rampage, who is also being pulled away by the referee.

I cannot believe people stick up for this s#it but bitch about a dumb guy who was clearly focused in on a submission and releases the very instance he notes the referee is there.

The main difference is the fact that this is not the first time he has done it. And Torquing a heel hook for an extra couple of seconds can mean knee surgery. I don't defend Hendo's actions (I find them hilarious because it was Bisping), if there had been santions against him, so be it. But the ref had not attampted to intervene yet. So although Hendo's actions are hard to defend, there was no breach of the rules.

He purposely superman punched an unconscious fighter to "shut him up". Forget rules for a second. What the OP is saying is that many people were ecstatic after that Bisping KO, and they have used it to mock Bisping for years. For some of these same people to turn around and be disgusted by Palhares is rank hypocrisy. Surely you must see that.

Rules aside, either pressing the attack on a helpless opponent is something that excites fans, or something that repulses fans. To pretend its ok in cases where we all hate the fighter getting hurt, makes us just as bad as Palhares.

Hendo stopped to fight when the ref stepped in.Palhares continued to crank a potential career ending submission after the ref stepped in.

ou really can't see the difference?

they think dropping h bomb isn't dangerous for someone laying unconcious with 0 defense ,yes bisping is fighting still but so was goodrige after taking so many beatings, we don't know how much Bisping brain was damaged after takin 2 knockout blows in a row.

Another poster quoted the most perfect response to this thread/title

No, Dan did God's work that day.

The same people that appreciate gifs of Hendo hammerfisting Bisping into oblivion after he was out cold or when Rampage getting a few heavy licks on Silva at the tail end of their trilogy or when B.J. held on to Pulver a tad bit longer are probably the same people that are happy that Harris got banned permanently.

A natural order of thing would be suspension, a substantial fine and maybe some rehabilitation/reevaluation from a resident psych doc.

Permanent ban is unprecedented in any sport AFAIK (well unless you are wanted for murder or other major crimes of course). You would have to been proven to have tried to kill or maim someone for it to be justified. And if that is the case for Harris then let's hope he's not just a scapegoat - and maybe become an example of improper sportsmanship - because he's not very high on the pecking order. (See first paragraph)

If you take a look at the gif that showed the side of the submission front and center he did let up a little when the ref jumped, just not completely. And he should be punished but not banned.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when a fighter goes out cold it is very equivalent to a fighter tapping out to a submission for the obvious reason that I shouldn't have to explain.

I will get in a few good licks in before the ref gets in and not get penalized for it

Fighters use that loophole all the time and should be held accountable as well. I mean if they can't tell if the guy is incapacitated or not when the whole world knows it from a flat screen then that's B.S.

Henderson was not being stopped by the ref and BJ is not a repete offender with the history that Palhares has.

In 2007 in Brazil Palhares choked Heilo Dipp unconscious with a rear-naked choke, he then had to be pulled off by the ref.
In his very NEXT FIGHT just 5 months later Palhares did it again with a heel-hook finish of Flavio Luiz Moura.

Now fast foward to the UFC and now this is the second time he has pulled this s*** in the UFC.
He's a repete offender and has no business fighting in the best organization in the world he's a liabiliaty to not only the UFC but to the health and well being of the fighters he fights.
Some of those heal hooks and leg locks are the most dangerous and potential career ending submissions you can pull off if you continue to keep holding that for too long the heel hook just dosent mess up your ankle and foot up it destroys and rips apart tendons in your knee also.

There is no use for a guy like Palhares to be fighting in the best organization with his past repeat offences.

Henderson was not being stopped by the ref and BJ is not a repete offender with the history that Palhares has.

In 2007 in Brazil Palhares choked Heilo Dipp unconscious with a rear-naked choke, he then had to be pulled off by the ref.
In his very NEXT FIGHT just 5 months later Palhares did it again with a heel-hook finish of Flavio Luiz Moura.

Now fast foward to the UFC and now this is the second time he has pulled this s*** in the UFC.
He's a repete offender and has no business fighting in the best organization in the world he's a liabiliaty to not only the UFC but to the health and well being of the fighters he fights.
Some of those heal hooks and leg locks are the most dangerous and potential career ending submissions you can pull off if you continue to keep holding that for too long the heel hook just dosent mess up your ankle and foot up it destroys and rips apart tendons in your knee also.

There is no use for a guy like Palhares to be fighting in the best organization with his past repeat offences.

This is a very good/insightful post,

Palhares is a danger, in a dangerous sport, Ill give him that, but damn dude cmon, let the fkng leg lock GO when your opponent TAPS

Hendo stopped to fight when the ref stepped in.Palhares continued to crank a potential career ending submission after the ref stepped in.

ou really can't see the difference?

I see the difference. Hendo through a potentially life ending punch after Bisping was clearly out cold. The potential consequences of one are far worse than the other.

a potentially life ending punch

Oh come on.

By the way,this means you think fighters that don't release immediatly after the other fighter tap or the other fighter is done should be cut?

Dan admits it was a dick move. Leaving all the 'career-ending' and what's 'technically legal' straw men aside, because it's just being used here in the name of subjectivity, I don't see how people defend Henderson yet criticize Palhares.

But this all feeds into a greater theme here. The UFC is cutting good fighters at an alarming rate. Yushin Okami or Palahres aren't going to tank the promotion, but it will be interesting to see how this continues to play out in the future.

And shame on you, TS, saying soccer kicks and stomps don't take skill. If it doesn't take skill, then there wouldn't be standouts who use or used the tactic, and there are.

Rampage hitting wand after the stoppage was bullshit. I wonder how mad rampage would have been if Wand had soccer kicked him after KTFOing him through the ropes.

with palhares's case, he does it ALL the time. true hendo's punch was late but he got there before the ref and landed a punch. rampage's punch was LATE and he should've been penalized. pride was CRAZY and known for VERY LATE stoppages. a good example would be fujita vs wandy.

this has been brought up one too many times so I will just leave this here:

Everyone who compares Hendo's case to Palhares is stupid and should get leglocked by Palhares

i do agree that they should've given palhares one last chance and i bet anything he would've changed his ways but im not going to contest his cut due to leg/foot locks being career enders.

I don't even think a suspension was in order in this case, he let go literally a second after the ref stepped in.

Completely agree. Palhares is being made an example of because of his past, being blindly judged when in this particular case no negative response was warranted. Laughably bad decision and clear double standard is what is going on here.

Back