Double standard(Sonnen/Silva)

FIGHT FAN

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We have heard plenty of criticisms being thrown Chael Sonnen's way; he cant defend the triangle; he needs to work his bjj etc.. etc... Yes i agree with all of that. Chael needs to stop being so proud(or ignorant) and stop repeating the same mistakes. Now to the flip side; Anderson Silva got taken down---on multiple occasions-- with total ease, and bullied around for almost the duration of the fight, yet nobody on this forum, is up in arms; calling for Anderson to take some wrestling lessons. Why is that? Why the double standard?

Last edited:
Silva wasn't even trying to defend the takedown in the first three rounds

Because Silva gets taken down but hasn't lost due to wrestling
but Sonnen loses due to bad sub defence frequently

We have heard plenty of criticisms being thrown Chael Sonnen's way; he cant defend the triangle; he needs to work his bjj etc.. etc... Yes i agree with all of that. Chael needs to stop being so proud(or ignorant) and stop repeating the same mistakes. Know to the flip side; Anderson Silva got taken down---on multiple occasions-- with total ease, and bullied around for almost the duration of the fight, yet nobody on this forum, is up in arms; calling for Anderson to take some wrestling lessons. Why is that? Why the double standard?

Anderson said he wanted to submit Chael for the Nog brothers. Anderson does learn wrestling that doesn't mean he can out stop Chael from taking him down. Nate is considered a great wrestler better then Anderson and he could do anything to stop it.

Obviously his gameplan was to submit Sonnen from guard

Ya im sure; that was the plan all along. He submitted him, because that was his only option. If he had it his way; the fight would resemble, his last contest with Maia.

Anderson said he wanted to submit Chael for the Nog brothers. Anderson does learn wrestling that doesn't mean he can out stop Chael from taking him down. Nate is considered a great wrestler better then Anderson and he could do anything to stop it.

Exactly, why bother using up your gas tank trying to defend takedowns when you want to be in guard anyway? It was a pretty smart gameplan considering Sonnen had been submitted 7 times before, obviously that's his biggest weakness

. Why is that? Why the double standard?

Because he is the winner.

IF Anderson lost, then wrestling fans will be starting threads about how weak was his tkd defense!

But yeah, I agree Anderson Silva should improve his tkd defense.

By the way if Anderson Silva's takedown defense is so terrible then why would he have bothered to write a book about it?

a112502849154a85d57342801.jpg

Exactly, why bother using up your gas tank trying to defend takedowns when you want to be in guard anyway? It was a pretty smart gameplan considering Sonnen had been submitted 7 times before, obviously that's his biggest weakness

Why bother defending take downs, if you have a significant advantage in every conceivable aspect of striking. It's a much much better idea, to get dumped, punched in the face, palm slapped in the eardrum, ridden like a donkey, and to lose points on every judges scorecard. Heck of a game plan.

Because Anderson is on a 13 fight win streak, with 9 of those wins being title being title defenses.

Chael has been subbed 7 times in the last 7 years.

Anderson is a dominate champ despite his lack of takedown defense. Chael's inability to defend subs chronically causes him to lose fights.

point taken, but, wrestling is his cryptonite. Everybody knows this, and they will take advantage of it(i am looking at you GSP). So why not spend some time, improving, this one significant weakness?

Ya im sure; that was the plan all along. He submitted him, because that was his only option. If he had it his way; the fight would resemble, his last contest with Maia.

Now you are getting ridiculous.

so you can read a fighter mind!

maybe you need to go back to the heavies and cry your sorrows there instead of in the F12.

point taken, but, wrestling is his cryptonite. Everybody knows this, and they will take advantage of it(i am looking at you GSP). So why not spend some time, improving, this one significant weakness?

Oh heah, so he did not to go on a ground vs Maia because he is immune to submissions as well!

Now you are getting ridiculous.

so you can read a fighter mind!

maybe you need to go back to the heavies and cry your sorrows there instead of in the F12.

It's not as ridiculous a claim, as the one the other poster made. The notion that Silva wanted to get dumped and dominated for 5 rounds, in the hopes of nailing a submission; is a completely ridiculous claim. As a fighter, you want to stack the cards in your favor as much as you can. I am sorry, but getting taken down and mounted by a well conditioned wrestler---even though you are a much better striker---and losing all 4 rounds on the scorecard is not the plan, that Silva's camp drew up---no matter how much you want to believe it.

It's not as ridiculous a claim, as the one the other poster made. The notion that Silva wanted to get dumped and dominated for 5 rounds, in the hopes of nailing a submission; is a completely ridiculous claim. As a fighter, you want to stack the cards in your favor as much as you can. I am sorry, but getting taken down and mounted by a well conditioned wrestler---even though you are a much better striker---and losing all 4 rounds on the scorecard is not the plan, that Silva's camp drew up---no matter how much you want to believe it.

where did I say that stuff? you got me mixed up with someone else!

where did I say that stuff? you got me mixed up with someone else!

Not you; the other poster.

The fact is; Silva could be so much better, if he took his wrestling seriously. The guy would be unstoppable. Chael exposed some serious flaws in his game. Too bad; that GSP is the only one that can capitalize on those flaws.

OP I understand your comment because YES when a good fighter loses via submission everyone goes on and on about they need to learn sub defense.

For the record OP, THEY ARE RIGHT!

You have no business being an MMA fighter and being sub'd time and again. Even if you are NOT sub'd often you should still work on your mat game.

BUT if you wanted to use an example you could have chosen most any other fight from that night and had a better argument, as it was you selected as your example the fight where the wrestler was submitted.

Not you; the other poster.

The fact is; Silva could be so much better, if he took his wrestling seriously. The guy would be unstoppable. Chael exposed some serious flaws in his game. Too bad; that GSP is the only one that can capitalize on those flaws.

Why train wrestling when you can train Aikido instead?

Back