Double Standard: Jones has to fight at a different weight class to be GOAT

jon jones is well on his way to being the GOAT. that's coming from someone who doesn't care for him that much, but i respect his skills inside the octagon. he beat 5 former UFC champions in a row. something that has never been done before, that speaks for itself. he can stay at LHW and still be considered GOAT if he just keeps winning. it will help if more fighters like gustafsson can break away from the pack and become a rival for jones. i think that rumble is one such fighter, though i think that he and gustafsson is a great match up, it takes a title challenger out of the mix for jones.

gustafsson and rumble to me, seem like the only legit challengers to jones. hendo is still ranked in the top 10 at LHW. i don't feel that OSP poses a test for jones either. jones is close to clearing out the division.

i think naturally he'll move to HW, but he's only 27 and should be in a rush.

Jones really isn't that much bigger than LHW's.
You guys just think being tall is being "bigger" than someone.
Jones walked around at like 225 for this camp lol

Randy weighed about that when he fought brock. . .

Lol this. I'm pretty sure Cormier cut more weight and weighed more on fight night.

Yup. I'm not afraid to say I just flat out hate Jones for petty reasons, but I have no reason to make excuses for him being a great fighter. In fact, I just want him to be as good as possible to make his fall even more physically arousing.
War Rumble/Gus/Whoever

Is TS trolling or was he not around for the 100's of threads asking for Super Fights between GSP & silva or jones & silva to decide who the real goat was?

To be The GOAT, you have to do your fighting in the division with the best fighters - HW.

Everyone else can only be the GOAT of their division.

This was said about all greats except Fedor because their was no bigger div for him.

Fedor - Heavyweight. By default, the heaviest class is hardest to compete in and remain undefeated. 10 years undefeated. +1 Fedor

GSP - Big win streak, avenged every loss. Won in dominating fashion. +1 GSP

Anderson Silva - Long winning streak, won in dominating fashion and moved up to LHW. +1 Silva

Jon Jones - Big win streak, great resume.

All of the other GOATs had something extra to add to their legacy. If Jones moves up, he's in the conversation.

Jones is much bigger than his opponents at lhw, so we should expect him to beat all of them. Ranking him at p4p rankings is a bit strange, because of his obvious sizeadvantage, but if he keeps on dominating lhw, he will still be remembered as One of the greats.

If he wants to be remembered as THE goat, he needs to move to HW. Especially since he struggled with the only guy he fought at his own size.

To be The GOAT, you have to do your fighting in the division with the best fighters - HW.

Everyone else can only be the GOAT of their division.

Heavyweight is generally considered to be the WORST weight class. Cain has only beaten two fighters in the last 3-years and people pretty much consider him having cleaned out the division lol.

Just look at the top-15 at heavyweight and go full incredulous Cormier gif.

Anderson and Fedor are GOAT because they fought much bigger men then themselves. If Jones wants to be in that conversation he needs to do the same. Pretty simple really.

Then why is GSP considered one of the best? What about Aldo? Shogun?

Jones is the GOAT. Look at his competition. Fedor (my boy) and Andy never fought the murderers row that Jon has fought. I'm not even a fan. I just respect the talent and skills of the reigning, defending ufc lhw champion.

Heavyweight is generally considered to be the WORST weight class. Cain has only beaten two fighters in the last 3-years and people pretty much consider him having cleaned out the division lol.

Just look at the top-15 at heavyweight and go full incredulous Cormier gif.

Only by ignorant people who are sloppy with language and don't know what the words they use actually mean - "best" and "worst", in particular.

How often someone fights has no bearing on how good they are.
It can impact how much you like them or how entertained you are.
But not how good they are.

If you took the top 20 of the HW division and paired them up to fight the top 20 of any other division, it would be a bloodbath.
Nothing else is relevant.
The HWs are the best fighters.

i want to see jones at h/w and fight for the title. he has a real chance of making some real history,lhw and hw champ? how will that look in the history books.

It's because he's been soo dominant at LHW and he's within a few pounds of fighting at HW and fighting for the HW title and being the baddest man on the planet!

anderson is LHW sized and got flack for it.

You're employing a double standard. Andy did fight a few times at LHW, once against an opponent who had just been unseated as champ (who got clowned as much as any fighter has of course). My personal thought process is then Jones could fight Werdum, Browne, JDS, or Cain; and in conjunction w/ another legit defense at LHW, fast track himself to all-time GOAT. Or he could stay put and take the slower track where he may need to equal or beat Andy's title defenses. That's more than fair. Andy had that, the fights against bigger guys, and better win style. He's current GOAT from a resume standpoint. Jones probably from ability/talent.

I keep hearing that Jones has to go to HW to fight Cain, or even Cain and JDS to cement his legacy of GOAT. I'm not saying that Jones is or will be the GOAT. I'm just saying this is a ridiculous double standard. Why does Jones need to fight at a different weight class to prove that he's GOAT? Jones has cleared out his division minus Rumble, and whether you agree with the decision or not, he beat Gus. He has beaten many former champs and the champ to earn his title and then defend it.

When GSP was reigning no one said he had to go to go to MW to fight Anderson to cement his legacy or GOAT status. When Anderson was fighting no one said that he had to go to LHW and fight Jon Jones to become GOAT or cement his legacy. No one is saying that Cain has to find someone at a SHW level somewhere and fight them to cement his GOAT status since there isn't SHW in the UFC.

The point is that GSP, Anderson, Cain all get GOAT status from their fans and others without the added entailment of moving up a weight class to cement their status.

You get posters like this:

No, one's saying Cain, GSP, or Anderson have to fight up a weight class to cement their legacies. There is definitely a double standard for Jones to fight a weight class up to secure his legacy over other fighters that are in contention for GOAT who aren't/weren't called to fight up a weight class.

I'm shocked you didn't throw in a jab at Cain.

Back