Double Standard: Jones has to fight at a different weight class to be GOAT

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I keep hearing that Jones has to go to HW to fight Cain, or even Cain and JDS to cement his legacy of GOAT. I'm not saying that Jones is or will be the GOAT. I'm just saying this is a ridiculous double standard. Why does Jones need to fight at a different weight class to prove that he's GOAT? Jones has cleared out his division minus Rumble, and whether you agree with the decision or not, he beat Gus. He has beaten many former champs and the champ to earn his title and then defend it.

When GSP was reigning no one said he had to go to go to MW to fight Anderson to cement his legacy or GOAT status. When Anderson was fighting no one said that he had to go to LHW and fight Jon Jones to become GOAT or cement his legacy. No one is saying that Cain has to find someone at a SHW level somewhere and fight them to cement his GOAT status since there isn't SHW in the UFC.

The point is that GSP, Anderson, Cain all get GOAT status from their fans and others without the added entailment of moving up a weight class to cement their status.

You get posters like this:

If this fight were to somehow take place with both guys healthy at their curgent skill levels, I cannot imagine Jones beating Cain. At even money I would be willing to bet everything I have and could accumulate of value on Cain winning.
Easy to say though since there isn't a chance in the world of this fight happening during both men's primes. Too bad.
Jones wants to be the unanimous GOAT? Take fights at HW vs JDS and Cain. Beat those two savages, and take the HW belt. If he thinks he could do it, then why not try and leave a legacy that can't be debated?

No, one's saying Cain, GSP, or Anderson have to fight up a weight class to cement their legacies. There is definitely a double standard for Jones to fight a weight class up to secure his legacy over other fighters that are in contention for GOAT who aren't/weren't called to fight up a weight class.

Cain, GSP, and Anderson never really had the size advantage stigma that Jones has relative to most other fighters in their respective divisions. I suspect this may have something to do with it.

Anderson was a very highly ranked WW and then took fights at LHW. But the HW nonsense with jones is just that. He's great people are just mad.

People were absolutely calling for Ando to stay up at LHW. GSP was being called to prove he could win at MW.

I'm not really sure why you think this hasn't been talked about with others. Jones just fought though, so people are talking about him.

Anderson was the #1 ranked WW, moved to MW, was the #1 MW and beat the #3 LHW like it was nothing.

So no, it' snot a double standard. People were saying Anderson needs to leave MW and fight Jones to be the GOAT

People who hate him are never going to give him his due. GSP faced the same criticism.

It is pretty dumb, right now GSP has the most votes in the poll for current GOAT and he never fought above his weight class so there is definitely a double standard.

The part I think is stupid is why do you want to see Jones in a weaker weight class? Heavyweight is pretty much the unanimous worst weight-class talent wise in the entire sport of MMA.

People who hate him are never going to give him his due. GSP faced the same criticism.

I hate him and I give him his dues constantly. Guy is a fucking animal and possibly the greatest fist fighter to ever walk this earth that isn't named Samart.

Also there's a big difference from Anderson going to 205 from 185 and Jones going from 205 to a weight limit of 265 lol.

Anderson and Fedor are GOAT because they fought much bigger men then themselves. If Jones wants to be in that conversation he needs to do the same. Pretty simple really.

People ALWAYS used to shit on gsp for not fighting silva. Are you new ts?

but to be goat you gotta have class first

Anderson moved up to face the former lhw champ in Forrest and destroyed him.

Jones is a waaaay bigger guy than most hw yet dont wanna do it.

Jones is far from the goat.

That title goes to silva easly.

Jones won't go to Heavyweight. I think it will be a bad choice as well his body shape is more suited to LHW. He said he would take a fight with Cain but doesn't mean he wants to be a HW fighter.

There is still plenty of challenges at LHW so I don't see him going up a weight. He doesn't need to in order to be the greatest of all time. This talk of fighting in a diff weight class is just silly. Where do you draw the line? So he beats Cain hypothetically you still going to get people saying he's not GOAT. Next people will be saying well he should fight at MW fight the champ, win and then go WW and fight the champ and win that title so he can become the best of all time. Its just stupid.:icon_neut

the only way i will ever accept him as goat is if he holds the middle, light heavy, and heavyweight belts all at the same time for at least 3 years defending each belt twice in that time.

Jones really isn't that much bigger than LHW's.
You guys just think being tall is being "bigger" than someone.
Jones walked around at like 225 for this camp lol

People were clamoring for GSP vs Anderson for a decade. Where the fuck were you?

the only way i will ever accept him as goat is if he holds the middle, light heavy, and heavyweight belts all at the same time for at least 3 years defending each belt twice in that time.

Nah he's too big I won't say he's the GOAT until he cuts off his arms to the elbow and makes his reach fair for everyone.

Jones really isn't that much bigger than LHW's.
You guys just think being tall is being "bigger" than someone.
Jones walked around at like 225 for this camp lol

Lol this. I'm pretty sure Cormier cut more weight and weighed more on fight night.

Back