Double lives

I think most people are a bit different online to what they are like in person. But if they are totally different then that is just f*cking weird.

I've always pretty much been the same. Obviously in certain situations you have to amend your personality and the things you say a bit, but that's just basic social skills to most of us.

I am a real wombat.

But no, just the one life. Depending on how busy things get, give or take a quarter of a life.

I try to mix everything up, I combine it all... but that leads to some 'interesting' intersections. I try to be all of who I am in every instance. Like, if I'm around professors and 'educated' people, I can talk philosophy all day long, but I'll still talk about drugs and other shit. If I'm around thugs, I'll talk about drugs and thug shit, but I don't hide the fact that I like learning and philosophy and stuff. I just try to be me in all phases of my life. Probably not the most 'effective' strategy, but I like the genuine feel of it. It's limiting in some ways, because people judge you, but in a much more fundamental way it's very freeing as I don't feel any constraints about what I say about who I am anywhere I go or with anyone that I talk to. I don't have to hide.

I wouldn't say I have different 'versions' of myself since my overall personality is the same. However, I do behave somewhat differently depending on the environment.

For example, I never curse at work, I tend to use a more refined vernacular when at a formal dinner party compared to how I speak hanging out with friends and enjoying some drinks, I don't make crude jokes in public but I sometimes do in a more private setting, etc.

I don't think that's leading a double life though since all are facets of my personality. There's a time and place for everything and I simply realize what facets of my personality are appropriate given the current environment.

As a side note: not to get overly nosy or involved in a stranger's life but TS maybe you should consider not associating with criminals. I don't visualize that ending well.

That's not a double life, that's just having social intelligence. This sort of adaptive behavior is a key component to being a functional, social creature, which humans are supposed to be.

You're not going to hold the same conversations or behave in exactly the same way around your mum, your friends, your work contacts or complete strangers. You need to adjust all sorts of your behavior to make the people you're with feel comfortable and to relate with them.

People who say they're 'real' all the time and operate with the same behavior constantly are either completely ignorant or just plain stupid.

That's not a double life, that's just having social intelligence. This sort of adaptive behavior is a key component to being a functional, social creature, which humans are supposed to be.

You're not going to hold the same conversations or behave in exactly the same way around your mum, your friends, your work contacts or complete strangers. You need to adjust all sorts of your behavior to make the people you're with feel comfortable and to relate with them.

People who say they're 'real' all the time and operate with the same behavior constantly are either completely ignorant or just plain stupid.

I think there is a difference between adjusting to different situations and purposefully hiding things. Of course I don't act EXACTLY the same or talk EXACTLY the same to a drug dealer as I would to a professor, but I'm the same person in both instances and I don't hide one from the other.

The human condition really is something else. What a paradox us humans truly are.

A poster said people who say they are true to themselves are either ignorant or stupid. I agree. But what if everyone was true to themselves cooperatively?

I hid my drug addiction from everyone but a few friends for years. Luckily those days are gone.

Now im just a brony.

I have 4 different lives/circles.

Work (construction/planning)
Boxing Coaching
Programming
Church

Each one gets quite a different version of me. The 2 most similar are work and boxing I suppose.

The human condition really is something else. What a paradox us humans truly are.

A poster said people who say they are true to themselves are either ignorant or stupid. I agree. But what if everyone was true to themselves cooperatively?

That's a paradox. We can't be cooperatively true to everyone because everyone has different capacities, environments and cultural elements. It's impossible to have a 'neutral' personality.

during conversation, a smart man might rattle off the theory of relativity to a construction worker and to a fellow theorist. A wise man might talk about sport to one and his limited knowledge of physics to another.

This doesn't necessarily make the wise man smart or the smart man un-wise. It's an example of different intelligence in different capacities.

I wear masks. Not sure that's the same as living two lives.

I basically have one superficial representation of myself that generates an illusion of contentment here on Earth (to placate others), while the other is the real me who cannot stand it here but trudges on quietly for the sake of those around me.

It feels like two lives, because the more authentic emotions and thoughts I have cannot be shared with others.

I used to be into some shady stuff, had necessarily different projections of myself and have many friends who still are involved with that world but nowadays I pretty much just remain myself throughout.

Everything in its place but I don't hide any of it because now I have nothing to hide. The most I'll do is omit names if I'm describing something to someone.

Started selling when I was 18, about the same time I moved out of my parents house.

Been robbed at gunpoint/knifepoint, robbed people at gunpoint. Kidnapped someone's brother over $600 and just roughed him a bit. Had threats of people trying to kidnap me and my girl from people that were just realeased from jail. Same people tried extorting me, which never happened. Was making roughly 123k a year profit from selling for about 1.5-2 years. Had D's by my house on three separate occasions in 3 different houses (I moved around a lot). Had cops take pictures of me and my car at least once since I saw the flash in broad day light. Was going to move work and a nine from my boys houses, turns out D's were watching us and as soon as we walked out they ran up on us. My man had the gun and ended up throwing it in the compactor. I had about 600 pills between my nutsack in a ziplock bag. They ended up searching me and didn't find it, luckily I had briefs on. From that day I never wore boxers again. They searched me again in the precinct and didn't find it. I thought they were going to book me so I mustered up the courage and removed them from my briefs and put them behind a cabinet since it was close to the cell I was in. My boy was in the other rooms talking shit to the cops so they ended up booking him. The lady detective comes up to me and says since you're nice you're going home, but your boy is going to central bookings. She also told me to stop what we're doing because they knew. She just said don't do it in my neighborhood. After I heard I was being released I mustered up the courage and put the ziplock bag back in my pants. Also ended up turning half the people I knew to junkies, had mothers calling my phone crying. There is more, but I rather keep that to myself.

No brag, just fact.

Started selling when I was 18, about the same time I moved out of my parents house.

Been robbed at gunpoint/knifepoint, robbed people at gunpoint. Kidnapped someone's brother over $600 and just roughed him a bit. Had threats of people trying to kidnap me and my girl from people that were just realeased from jail. Same people tried extorting me, which never happened. Was making roughly 123k a year profit from selling for about 1.5-2 years. Had D's by my house on three separate occasions in 3 different houses (I moved around a lot). Had cops take pictures of me and my car at least once since I saw the flash in broad day light. Was going to move work and a nine from my boys houses, turns out D's were watching us and as soon as we walked out they ran up on us. My man had the gun and ended up throwing it in the compactor. I had about 600 pills between my nutsack in a ziplock bag. They ended up searching me and didn't find it, luckily I had briefs on. From that day I never wore boxers again. They searched me again in the precinct and didn't find it. I thought they were going to book me so I mustered up the courage and removed them from my briefs and put them behind a cabinet since it was close to the cell I was in. My boy was in the other rooms talking shit to the cops so they ended up booking him. The lady detective comes up to me and says since you're nice you're going home, but your boy is going to central bookings. She also told me to stop what we're doing because they knew. She just said don't do it in my neighborhood. After I heard I was being released I mustered up the courage and put the ziplock bag back in my pants. Also ended up turning half the people I knew to junkies, had mothers calling my phone crying. There is more, but I rather keep that to myself.

No brag, just fact.

You still in that game?

You still in that game?

Nah. It's been 3 years since I stopped. Glad I did it sooner than later. Majority of the people that I knew who were on my level or higher are in the Feds right now.

Back