Double-legs

Stoic1 said:
COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

With a gi on it makes shooting a helluva lot harder. A guy with one pinky hooked into your gi can keep you at arms length and make your shots a living hell.

it should be easier. u can grab the pants of the knee area (than cupping it w/ ur hands as in gi-less) and the takedown should be easier.

i can't believe all this anti-double leg ideas here. the double leg should fail primarily/usually against not people who have a good sprawl, but who have a good double leg himself.

about that BS about guillotine and anaconda. first anacnoda needs an arm in there (the arm that should be around the waist, not trapped near his own neck). Second, guillotine chokes do not work if the head is deep in the armpit b/c the choking arm cannot slide around the neck form a complete clamp.

The difference here is theory and application.

I have kept off world class wrestlers by simply stiff arming them on the gi. This is much harder without a gi. Let me just say this, if I can get an overhand grip on the gi, your shooting is done. I just kick my legs and hips back a little bit and there is no way you can grab them. I keep you at arms length indefinately. It is physically impossible without removing my grip on your gi, breaking my stiff arm, or circling for the angle. And ALL of this is much, much harder than you think. Think about it. Or better yet, stop thinking about it and actually practice.

I'll say it again, when you are wearing a gi it is much harder to execute a successfull double leg than without. You will get stuffed time and time again as they simply hold you off using the gi.

Stoic1 said:
The difference here is theory and application.

I have kept off world class wrestlers by simply stiff arming them on the gi. This is much harder without a gi. Let me just say this, if I can get an overhand grip on the gi, your shooting is done. I just kick my legs and hips back a little bit and there is no way you can grab them. I keep you at arms length indefinately. It is physically impossible without removing my grip on your gi, breaking my stiff arm, or circling for the angle. And ALL of this is much, much harder than you think. Think about it. Or better yet, stop thinking about it and actually practice.

I'll say it again, when you are wearing a gi it is much harder to execute a successfull double leg than without. You will get stuffed time and time again as they simply hold you off using the gi.
I got a question about your tip. I'm not trying to rip on it or anything and I've never used a Gi before in wrestling or jiu jitsu so I might not know precisely what I'm talking about but if your opponent is in a good low wrestling stance and you have an arm locked onto his gi firmly, wouldn't that severly throw off your balance? I'm not an expert but what would stop them from grabbing your wrist and using your own 'control' to control you?

Drew_C said:
I got a question about your tip. I'm not trying to rip on it or anything and I've never used a Gi before in wrestling or jiu jitsu so I might not know precisely what I'm talking about but if your opponent is in a good low wrestling stance and you have an arm locked onto his gi firmly, wouldn't that severly throw off your balance? I'm not an expert but what would stop them from grabbing your wrist and using your own 'control' to control you?

Generally you have alot more control with a gi grip than with a wrist grip.

If you grab my wrist then I still have some control of my wrist and could lead you 'somewhat'. If you have my gi, I have no control of that and you have all. A gi in your grip is very strong.

As a noob, I think I'll just stick to single-legs :D

Drew_C said:

You are not really off balance due to the security of a gi grip. If you train in a gi one time, you will see very fast just how much easier it is to grip than in no gi.

I think the easiest way to explain it in no gi terms is this:

In no gi, you can't really take a shot if your opponent has a strong control in the clinch. The way you get around this obviously is to pummel yourself free, duck under, etc. to break your opponent's control. This is MUCH harder when wearing a gi because the grip is a closed fist on a chunk of clothing instead of an open palm cupping a control point like the neck, elbow, lat, etc.

It really is quite a bit harder to shoot with the gi. Anyone who tells you differently hasn't really trained with it. Shots are not necessarily ineffective with the gi; in fact, they are more common in judo than you might think. However, they are not nearly as common as in wrestling for the reasons stated above.

The low wrestling stance isn't quite as good with the gi due to the grip controls and the counters using these grips (uchi-mata).

I use single legs all of the time. It's easier to scoop up a leg and then reap the other out from under them or sometimes I'll go to a lift. I don't get caught in too many guillotines anymore since I keep my head up, but in the beginning I did. Plus, if someone knows what they're doing, they'll just do a pancake sprawl and your face will hit the ground (not saying every time but there is a chance.) If I sprawl on someone, I push their head down and go to a front headlock, where I just slip around to the back.

Back