Double-legs

Treeoflife85

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me a small rundown between shooting for Double legs in wrestling vs. Bjj. I know that they have different key elements, but is one more useful than the other or is it just personal preference. I suppose that the wrestling shot would be better for No-gi and the Bjj shot for Gi, but if someone could elaborate that would be awesome.

what is the bjj shot? bjj has no takedowns as far as i know, generally bjj schools adapt judo takedowns

the wrestling shot works just as good in bjj as its much harder to sprawl fast when you have a gi on ...

Only one major difference between shooting a double in wrestling vs. bjj and that is in bjj you risk the guillotine.......
I love shooting doubles in wrestling but after a few guillotines in bjj, I will only shoot on an obviously slower opponent.

If you keep tight with your shot and keep your head raised, a guillotine won't be easy to apply. Just don't take all day, keep tight and you'll be fine.

barbwire44 said:
Only one major difference between shooting a double in wrestling vs. bjj and that is in bjj you risk the guillotine.......
I love shooting doubles in wrestling but after a few guillotines in bjj, I will only shoot on an obviously slower opponent.

Actually in wrestling you risk the GUillotine because you are taught to keep your head on the outside of your opponents hip..in BJJ you are taught to keep it inside of your opponents hip

Thanks alot for the replies,
Just talked to another guy in my school and he said that the main difference is that you don't go to a knee when shooting for doubles in BJJ. I guess it stems from the fact that in a real life situation if you go to a knee on concrete you might mess yourself up enough to put yourself out of the fight. Or at least be less effective.

That is correct, I think the guys misunderstood your question.
In wrestling you go on your knee and use a powerful thrust forward against your opponent, but in BJJ you just bend over and go. You are also right in assuming that that comes from BJJ being used in real life situations. To make this work better when you grab the opponent you either try to go to his back or you walk forwards as you lift him up.

barbwire44 said:
if you're getting guillotined then you havent learned how to shot correctly. your forhead needs to be glude to his hip as you come in so you cannot be crossfaced or in bjj, choked. if your head is out there you're going it incorrectly. you do this to protect your head/face and you use your neck to drive and control his direction as you take him.

another option is basically tackling him as if you wore a helmet and your head can know the wind out of him. though, everytime bjj people see a rough technique on a takeodwn i feel that they think i'm cheating or whatever. and this is when you're gooing 100% not 50% practice going through the motions stuff.

if you do a shot correctly he'll be to stunned to react fast enough to pull guard or lock your head. you should be driving him feet across the mat and spiking him in the wall and if you cant, do the shot with that intention. you want to build force and spike his ass in the mat to knwo the wind out of him. if your body comes down on him hard, keep your feet light on the mat and so much the better. you've just set up your positioning or submission.

you do this and you clear his legs, he cant pull guard if you can react with decent quckness. clearing the legs means you snatch as you drive and take his weight off his legs. throw them away from where you're taking his upperbody and you just fucked him up because you'll time right down on top of him. again, light on your feet, drive your shoulder into his abdomen if you get there.

gotta go to work so, gl on that takedown.

I was taught recently by Mario Sperry to drop down you are are looking at their waist, shoot in with your forehead into their belly, chop the tendons at the back of their knees and then drive foreward so you avoid the possibility of a guillotine and stop them sprawling also.

alexgncw said:
the wrestling shot works just as good in bjj as its much harder to sprawl fast when you have a gi on ...

COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

With a gi on it makes shooting a helluva lot harder. A guy with one pinky hooked into your gi can keep you at arms length and make your shots a living hell.

The knee drop is a good point but also in BJJ the double leg shot favors not just driving into the opponent and taking him down, but also putting him into an inferior position. Typically wrestlers end up in the guard due to just driving forward to the ground. In BJJ there is a higher emphasis on getting your hips in close and executing a lift as well as swinging his legs out of the way to end up in side mount. Perfect example is Rickson vs Takada 1. That was just perfect.

alexgncw said:

You can sprawl just as fast with the gi on.

Shots are harder in the gi because you can be more easily countered with throws due to the leverage and grips the gi provides. Most judo players will immediately go for an uchi-mata counter if you shoot on them.

That's not to say that shots don't work with the gi on. Morote-gari is a popular judo technique that is essentially a double leg. However, it is harder to pull off in gi than no gi.

Watch the knee on the ground. Renzo skrewed his knee that way in a streetfight. Broke his kneecap, I believe.

scorcho said:
Watch the knee on the ground. Renzo skrewed his knee that way in a streetfight. Broke his kneecap, I believe.
if you're good the knee doesnt touch and it's a smoothe flowing movement.

why the hell you gonna shoot off your knee in a streetfight? gj renzo.

Just don't use a shot.

Seriously man, you will be eating knees and off a bad shot you get ALL the guys weight sprawling onto you. And if you do get it, chances are very good you wind up in his guard. Big risk and small reward.

In mma it's a lot better to focus on clinch takedowns and getting sidecontrol or mount off your takedowns.

I-Shoji said:
Just don't use a shot.

Seriously man, you will be eating knees and off a bad shot you get ALL the guys weight sprawling onto you. And if you do get it, chances are very good you wind up in his guard. Big risk and small reward.

In mma it's a lot better to focus on clinch takedowns and getting sidecontrol or mount off your takedowns.

I agree. A shot is a very last resort imo. I think alot of them seem to work in mma only because you have alot of fighters that don't mind fighting of their backs. In the future I bet we'll see less of them.

That's why judo throws own!

FStep said:
what is the bjj shot? bjj has no takedowns as far as i know, generally bjj schools adapt judo takedowns

they teach steroetypic mcdojo judo takedowns (for some reason), but in practice they do wrestling.

Back