Double End Bags And Speed Bags In MMA

ShogunStomp

White Belt
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of building my home MMA gym for when the gym I go to is closed or I can't make it there, you know? So I really only want the basics like a Banana Bag, Mats, Grappling Dummy which I all have. I also have the small things like Dumbbells, Mirrors, a Medicine Ball and a Jump Rope. I still have room left over too so I was wonder would a Double End Bag And Speed Bag help me? I notice a lot of MMA gyms don't have them, why? My striking style is a lot of MT but I would like to mix in some Boxing too, mainly head movement ,footwork, reaction time and general speed but I wanna improve those area for my MT so would they help? Also what else would they help with?

You don't really see it as much in MMA, but definitely go for it. I plan on getting a speed bag myself.

well the mma gyms i have been in have double end bags for sure and most have speed bags.

I have both in my home gym and they are great tools to have

Maybe the lack of speed bags explains why MMA striking is so bad.

Speed bag is a good idea. It has nothing to do with accuracy or power but it increases stamina in keeping your hands up which is absolutely essential when kicks or punches are coming your way.

Double end bags work on head movement and base stabilization. Not as handy in MMA because to win at a double end bag your stance tends to widen and your legs become easy pickings for wrestlers. I would nix the double end back out of fear that you would unnecessarily become to stationary. Instead get a teardrop heavy bag used for hooks and uppercuts. Great for stopping sloppy shots by dry humpers.

Maybe the lack of speed bags explains why MMA striking is so bad.

Not at all. MMA striking can't be measured comparatively against pure striking sports. There is no frame of reference for MMA striking to be bad or good. If you compare MMA striking to Boxing or Kickboxing you are comparing apples to oranges.

I'd highly recommend a double-end bag if for no other reason than it's a lot of fun to use. It's also good for hand-eye co-ordination, accuracy, hand-speed and head movement.

Speed bags can be a great tool for working on your accuracy and timing. Obviously they can be used in a traditional sense, but you can also practice working on landing hooks, jabs and crosses on the bag while it's moving. Working on a cross-hook or hook-cross is also good for developing timing and hitting a moving target. I think there is a Title boxing instructional with Freddie Roach where he talks about utilizing the speed bag, worth checking out.

Double end bags work on head movement and base stabilization. Not as handy in MMA because to win at a double end bag your stance tends to widen and your legs become easy pickings for wrestlers.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Alright after I read the Teardrop Bag idea, what do you guys thing should be in a MMA gym?

Double end bags and speed bags are in boxing gyms for a reason, good reason! Given striking or boxing is a significant part of MMA, well...... deductive logic says, YES, double end bags and speed bags are good training tools for MMA!

Speed bags- help develop timing, coordination and reflexes. Really they serve best as a conditioning tool

Double end bag- assists to develop punch control, timing, head movement, reflexes and general awareness of where your target is at. It is both an offensive and defensive tool, in addition to being a conditioning tool as well.

Given the practical use of this equipment, absolutely they are helpful! Truth is, If I were going to give advice on building a home gym, double end and heavy bag would be the first things i would suggest you incorporate and in that order.

Double end bags and speed bags are in boxing gyms for a reason, good reason! Given striking or boxing is a significant part of MMA, well...... deductive logic says, YES, double end bags and speed bags are good training tools for MMA!

Speed bags- help develop timing, coordination and reflexes. Really they serve best as a conditioning tool

Double end bag- assists to develop punch control, timing, head movement, reflexes and general awareness of where your target is at. It is both an offensive and defensive tool, in addition to being a conditioning tool as well.

Given the practical use of this equipment, absolutely they are helpful! Truth is, If I were going to give advice on building a home gym, double end and heavy bag would be the first things i would suggest you incorporate and in that order.

OK a spare home MMA gym then :redface:.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I box... you? I know what my coaches want when they put me on the double end. I train boxing FOR boxing. My MMA striking (which isn't as often) uses completely different mechanics that make a DEB useless. You don't know what you are talking about. Not that you made any useful comment or anything.

Ditch the DEB for a teardrop bag and work the hooks and uppercuts.

Back