Doom is 25 Years Old Today

I disagree, from a pure fun point of view I think it holds up great, and that’s why instill play it on emulators with mod levels

Did you play the Plutonia 2 megawad? It was a great unofficial sequel.

I remember first playing it on a PC at Sam’s Club that for some reason had it loaded on it lol.

A few years later our family got a PC and both my dad and I were absolutely hooked on Doom 2.

Still play through them today and the 2016 version is one my favorite games ever. Picked up the VFR recently as well.

Actually I’m experiencing another version of Doom now that I never got around to. The PlayStation port. Aubrey Hodges’ score is so good, and the new sound and lighting effects make it feel like a completely different game.

Came in the old PlayStation long box and even has the instruction manual. All in excellent shape.
The "Custom Playstation Edition" also had the Super Shotgun and Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 levels.
Didn't they take the Arch Vile out too?

Ticket to Eternity. :eek:

latest

City of the Damned is probably my favorite PWAD. Real creepy atmosphere.

The "Custom Playstation Edition" also had the Super Shotgun and Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 levels.
There were some differences and I can’t remeber them all now, as I’ve played so many versions so long ago sometimes they blend together.

But I watched a 25th anniversary play through of ultimate doom last night and there was stuff that was “off on some levels” and was trying to remeber if the versions I was remeber I g were PlayStation or 32x levels.

I really can’t remeber if I did or not. Maybe but hard to say played so many can’t remeber the names to them all.

There were some differences and I can’t remeber them all now, as I’ve played so many versions so long ago sometimes they blend together.

But I watched a 25th anniversary play through of ultimate doom last night and there was stuff that was “off on some levels” and was trying to remeber if the versions I was remeber I g were PlayStation or 32x levels.
What do you by off on some levels?

What do you by off on some levels?
Some small things like the image itself to some level design not being how I remembered.

But I’ve played so many versions I could just be confusing some wad I played a ton to a level I saw.

Mainly on shores of hell.

They did, I mentioned that earlier. I've seen the PS1 version crash because there were too many enemies especially on The Suburbs which had a couple of Arch Viles in the PC version. The Revenant was slowed down to about half speed as well.

Some small things like the image itself to some level design not being how I remembered.

But I’ve played so many versions I could just be confusing some wad I played a ton to a level I saw.

Mainly on shores of hell.
Yeah, the PS1 version of Final Doom had all kinds of changes with making maps smaller.

They did, I mentioned that earlier. I've seen the PS1 version crash because there were too many enemies especially on The Suburbs which had a couple of Arch Viles in the PC version. The Revenant was slowed down to about half speed as well.
Hah, it probably crashes after you pick up the the blue skull key and a shitload of enemies teleport in at the same time.

Yeah, the PS1 version of Final Doom had all kinds of changes with making maps smaller.

The same happened with a few of the levels from the PS1 version of Doom:

Containment Area (PC)

472px-E2M2_map.png

Containment Area (PS1)

472px-PSX_Doom_MAP10_map.png

The same happened with a few of the levels from the PS1 version of Doom:

Containment Area (PC)

472px-E2M2_map.png

Containment Area (PS1)

472px-PSX_Doom_MAP10_map.png
Wow, I figured it would be able to handle any Doom 1 level.

if you are looking for some after market content for original doom, try "hell revealed" wad with your choice of after market modernizing tool (e.g., zdoom for rendering and mouse look).

Wow, I figured it would be able to handle any Doom 1 level.

IIRC, the majority of the maps were the same size. I don't think any of the Doom 2 maps were cut down, but I could be wrong. Containment Area was just the worst.

IIRC, the majority of the maps were the same size. I don't think any of the Doom 2 maps were cut down, but I could be wrong. Containment Area was just the worst.
Yes, they used the smaller levels from the Jaguar version of Doom and made few changes to the Doom 2 levels that were added to the PS version.

That was awesome!

I didn't get a pc until Duke Nukem 3D released, so I never got to experience Doom when it was revolutionary. Doom 3, on the other hand, blew me away. I remember the demo for it being incredible, far more impressive than the final product, but I still played the shit out of it, and its expansions, and loved it. I remember that game and Chronicles of Riddick, escape from Butcher's bay, killing everything graphically.

Doom 2016 was cool, played butter smooth too, but I really like what I see from Eternal.

Doom 3 and ridick were great.

Played the crap out of riddick butchers bay, the sequel game sucked though.

Back