don't you hate it when...

IGORYU

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
you get those people who ask you what your hobbies are and when you say martial arts they say stuff like "oh that's great for keeping calm and relaxing. how much meditation do you do?" and constantly think of you as mr. miyagi.
I hate when I get people come into the gym like that and I have to explain to them that we are not trying to become the daisies but that we're trying to be athletes!
damn movie starlettes!
Is it just me or do other people hate that too?

I let people think what they want. Most people at least are familiar with ufc now, at least at my age group (early 20's) so if I tell them I train like UFC fighters, they seem to get the message.

If someone thought I were trying to become Mr Miyagi, I would be fucking stoked.

I don't tell people I train. I will tell people after I get to know them better. If asked what are my hobbies/what I like to do, I leave out the jiu jitsu part.

you get those people who ask you what your hobbies are and when you say martial arts they say stuff like "oh that's great for keeping calm and relaxing. how much meditation do you do?" and constantly think of you as mr. miyagi.
I hate when I get people come into the gym like that and I have to explain to them that we are not trying to become the daisies but that we're trying to be athletes!
damn movie starlettes!
Is it just me or do other people hate that too?
I have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Nobody has ever said that kind of stuff to me.

I don't even tell ppl i do BJJ. if fact- if i don't know them, I give little to no personal info

I let people think what they want. Most people at least are familiar with ufc now, at least at my age group (early 20's) so if I tell them I train like UFC fighters, they seem to get the message.

yea i just say that but then again i dont ramble that off much bc it gets stupid comment slike oh you can take on bj penn or tito ortiz or something like that... and no i dont think i could its a sport like football... so you think you can tackle michael vick... oops well maybe ya can now :-X

Whats wrong with meditation? And part of the reason i do martial arts is to relax. which is also the same reason i quit golf...it just pissed me off.

This thread is funny bc this happened to me last night. I met this girl a few weeks ago and she called me last night. So we were just chatting about ourselves and BJJ came up. Knowing that she has no clue what BJJ is I just said that I train Martial Arts. The first thing she asked was if I do a lot of meditating. I said uhhhh no.

I guess that as MMA fans and competitive Martial Artists we have a much different perception of what Martial Arts are than people whose only experiences with them are based off TV.

I'm definitely not very educated on other disciplines so I'm sure there are many in which meditation is a fundemental component.

I do know that for many people (including myself in some capacity) BJJ is a way to relieve stress and ultimately relax. When I think meditation, I envision someone on their knees, palms up, eyes closed (a little naive? yes). I'm sure the psychological benefit some people get from BJJ can definitely be compared to the benefits of meditation.

Yes I hate that!!

I used to train at a Karate school but they did little to NO karate it was all MMA...

Now with the BJJ its the same ignorance!

What I love even more is when someone starts in with you and then (since i was born with a short fuse) I go back at them and they say "Arent you supposed to be calm and have discipline?"
To which I answer NO! My discipline lies in making sure I train hard everyday so when I have to fight I know Im going to win!

This is when the guys balls usually shrink and he starts apologizing his ass off! =)

I think several of the posters in this thread need to start meditating.

I hate it whern people take jiu jitsu to be about violence or athletic ability.

yes - i tell people they shoudl try jiujitsu and they tell me..

Oh i used to do Suk fan do.... alls i can think of is gay bowing and pajamas and garbage like that..

Back