Don't you forget about me: Murilo Bustamante

Isn't he the guy who taught Palhares to jack the heel hook?

He was middle aged when he entered Pride, and remember he vacated the UFC title for Pride....after beating two of the best middleweights in the world in Dave Menne and Matt Lindland. Even Murilo knew back then about the low pay the fighters received.
Well many fighters did that,even ufc flag wavers like Chuck fought several fights there.

Hespect, one of my favourite fighters of all time.

Busta > Hendo
Really bruh?

pride-hendo.jpg

and he got robbed by hendo in Pride, i mean by the referees

Great Fighter and Coach!

Him and Mario Sperry did an awesome Job at BTT...

Better boxing than most of the guys in the UFC right now...
And when got taken down...danger for everybody!

Isn't he the guy who taught Palhares to jack the heel hook?

I'm not sure if you're playing around, but for those who don't know any better... No. The opposite. It strained their relationship.

Busta was supposed to be the guy able to control him, but Busta gave up and stopped making excuses for Paul.

He was also never defeated for the MW title. Which makes Bisping a paper champ. Since we are going there nowadays.

Name: Murilo Bustamante
Gym: Brazilian Top Team
Record: 15-8-1
Accomplishments: UFC Middleweight Championship (2002), Pride Middleweight Grand Prix Runner up (2005)

Born in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Murilo Bustamante at a young age had always wished to be a professional surfer along the glistening beautiful shores of Arpoador. He abandoned those dreams to enact on a new one. The world of Judo and Jiu-Jitsu. And from the ages of 10-18 he was tutored by none other than Carlson Gracie himself, where he received his black belt at age 18. At 19 years of age, he grew into boxing gloves where he would train rigorously.

Murilo would go on and win numerous national grappling titles such as, ADCC World Submission Wrestling Championships and CBJJ World Championship. He began his career of MMA/NHB in 1991 where he would fight Marcelo Mendes at Desafio-Jiu-Jitsu vs. Luta Livre. He won by TKO. He would enter a one night 8 man tournament at Martial Arts Reality Superfighting in 1996 where he would go to the finals to face off against monstrous Tom Erikson, Bustamante would be outweighed by 80 pounds but the match ended after 40 minutes to a draw. From there he entered the UFC, where he would face off against Dave Menne for the UFC Middleweight Title. He would win by TKO and win the UFc Middleweight Championship, a title he successfully defends against Matt Lindland by submission choke. Murilo would vacate the UFC title however to enter Pride FC under the persuasion of Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria and the higher rate of pay. Murilo would find moderate success and even fought for the Pride Middleweight title but lose to Dan Henderson by split decision in an IOpen Weight Grand Prix in 2005. Murilo would retire from MMA in 2012...against Dave Menne, which would be his last match where he wins by UD.

Today Murilo Bustamante can be found teaching his new students at Brazilian Top Team in Rio de Janeiro. Considered one of the top trainers in the world in BJJ. Murilo will be remembered as one of the pioneers of BJJ and one of the most daring fighters in the world against bigger men.

Murilo Bustamante vs Jerry Bohlander (Pentagon Combat) (9-27-1997)

Murilo Bustamante vs Marcelo Mendes (Desafio-Jiu-Jitsu vs. Luta Livre) (9-26-1991)

Brazilian Top Team website: http://braziliantopteam.com/

He almost submitted Rampage back in 2003 in Pride.

To bad he never got a fight against Sakuraba or Hidehiko Yoshida.

Why he left Ufc by the way?

He was also never defeated for the MW title. Which makes Bisping a paper champ. Since we are going there nowadays.
Interesting point. Be right back, tracing the lineal MW title.

EDIT: I back, I back.

Murilo - Rampage - Wand - Hunt - Barnett - Mirko - Gonzaga - Randy - Brawk - Cain - JDS - Cain - Werdum - Stipe - DC - Stipe - Ngannou

Ngannou is the lineal UFC MW champion

Last edited:
Back