Don't you forget about me: Carlos Newton

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Name: Carlos Newton
Gym: Warrior MMA
Record: 16-14
Accomplishments: UFC Welterweight Championship, UFC 17 Middleweight Runner-up, Canadian Pankration Champion 2X

Carlos Newton was born in Anguilla a tiny Caribbean territory by Puerto Rico. Carlos grew interest at a very young age into Judo and Karate. He attended Westview Centennial Secondary School in Toronto,Canada where lawlessness and gangs were common, thus making Carlos fend for himself. From there he participated in numerous Jiu-Jitsu and BJJ tournaments locally and abroad including the Abu Dahbi tournament. In 1996 he attended Warrior MMA which was headed by Terry Riggs out of Ontario. It was from here Carlos would expand his skills, and enter the "newborn" field of MMA. On April 26th 1996 Carlos Newton at the age of 19 would face his very first opponent at Extreme Fighting 2, his opponent was Jean Riviere a man who outweight Carlos by 100 pounds (260-162). Carlos would lose the match after 7 minutes from exhaustion, but would immediately become a fan favorite for fighting such a bigger man. He would enter the UFC in 1998 in a one night Middleweight tournament and would lose to another MMA legend, Dan Henderson by split decision in the final. he would go on to fight memorable matches, especially against Pride FC legend Kazushi Sakuarab in a grappling extraordinaire, he loses by knee bar. However, he would find "gold" by beating Pat Militech for the UFC Welterwieght Championship at UFC 31 in 2001. He would go on to have an up and down career, filled with fascinating matches with eye glistening wizardry in submissions. He would finally retire from MMA in 2010. Carlos Newton nows resides in Newmarket,Ontario and coaches at Warrior MMA.

Carlos Newton vs Jose (Pele) Landis-Jons Pride 19 (2-24-2002)

Carlos Newton vs Kazushi Sakuraba Pride 3 (6-24-1998)

Carlos Newton Warrior MMA Gym

http://www.warriormma.ca/index.php

Makes you think, what IF Newton didn't get koed when Hughes fell. Pretty good fighter, way better than his record and people say that is a very good guy.

He was never remembered in the first place

Awesome trip down memory lane, that bulldog choke he slapped on militech was legendary schoolyard shit lol.

He choked out Matt Hughes as well. One of the flukiest moments in UFC history.

Makes you think, what IF Newton didn't get koed when Hughes fell. Pretty good fighter, way better than his record and people say that is a very good guy.

He probably would have had some success i believe.

Even back in 2002 Pele was salty as fuck after that loss. And people think that "Brazilians are salty as fuck" isn't accurate lol.

I think people in general can be "salty as fuck" don't have to be fighters and they don't have to be Brazilian or any other specific origin.

Here is Carlos Newton vs Jean Rivire at Extreme Fighting 2 (4-26-1996), Carlos is 19 here and was outweighed by 100lbs!

Indeed.
I watched it wondering who would wake up first and was very amused by Matt's expression when he found out he'd won

Matt stated he was unconscious and when he came to, found out he won.

I assume in any similar situation, especially in a title fight, the victor is whomever first regains consciousness?

Well im unsure of that rule, but Matt did regain consciousness and thus the winner.

Well im unsure of that rule, but Matt did regain consciousness and thus the winner.
Right, he won because he came to first, yes?
Funny that in all these years it hasn't happened again in the UFC, that I'm aware of. Truly flukey.

Right, he won because he came to first, yes?
Funny that in all these years it hasn't happened again in the UFC, that I'm aware of. Truly flukey.

It really was a "once in a lifetime" type of win...so many "what if's" in that match.

It really was a "once in a lifetime" type of win...so many "what if's" in that match.
Which era is my favorite, this forum keeps asking. So hard to choose.
So many historic moments.
I wasn't even a fan of his, then, and anxiously watched versus Royce, hoping he'd get tooled, but it went as I expected. :(
Royce popping afterwards ended my fandom.

Which era is my favorite, this forum keeps asking. So hard to choose.
So many historic moments.
I wasn't even a fan of his, then, and anxiously watched versus Royce, hoping he'd get tooled, but it went as I expected. :(
Royce popping afterwards ended my fandom.

Interesting question actually, i believe my "favorite" era would be 2002-2004, but each MMA year always keeps me wanting more and im very interested in seeing new fighters and their improving talents.

I'm with you bud. I got into this sport when chuck Liddell was literally tripping on his own feet and TKOing mother fuckers walking backwards. When Tim Sylvia and AA fought three times and my disgust at the last fight, I was so happy when Randy punched that smirk off of mr. sprawl and stall.
Then everybody started getting really good and things got really boring, I still love the sport but this attack of the clones shit needs to go. I blame Fitch

Back