Dont sleep on Holly Holm, she could be the Buster Douglas of MMA.

LOL! I was honestly expecting a burner account. "For years,"....??? How many years? She's only been in the UFC for 2 1/2 years, and only had her first professional fight in 2011 lol.

Obviously Holm has a chance to beat her...EVERYONE does. These thread are so pointless. At least give some technical argument for how Holm can win, not just "her striking is excellent." The bigger questions for Holm are regarding her Judo/TD defense, how much damage she can inflict with counter striking, and if she escape a charging RR.

Rousey's the favorite. Obviously.

Holm is the first fighter that I think actually poses a problem to Ronda. I don't mean that she has the game to hurt, or actually finish Ronda in any way, but I do think she has the game, and hopefully intellect, to at least stay on the outside for awhile. Her footwork is good, she is a real boxer, even if she never trades hard or presses her boxing advantage. She fights a lot like Ray Leonard did, a lot of movement, laterally especially, and she uses her reach and height. She's also got the cardio to stay on the outside for a long while and chip away. I guess she fights a bit like Gustafsson, really, but without the power.

Now, Ronda should have no problem eventually getting ahold of Holm and beating her, but, just like Tyson, Ronda's never had to dig deep, chase and deal with the frustration of not being outlanded and unable to catch their opponent. I assume she will be just fine, and will get Holm down at some point for the victory, but every girl so far has run straight into her like a retard, so, I think we will get to see a different part of Ronda's game. This will either make her go over as a more well-rounded fighter, or it will expose something in her game.

Good matchup, UFC. Thank God it wasn't Tate, or.... anyone else in that horrid division. This is the only fight worth watching unless the one other good female fighter in existence makes weight.

Holy shit this thread is bad. Please, for the love of god stop calling Rousey Tyson.

I'm excited. I'm still confident in Holm. If it goes to the ground, yeah, she's in trouble but her footwork, precision and power will give Ronda trouble.

I'm obviously not going to be shocked if Ronda takes her down and submits her but I think Holly's fight IQ and speed will let her keep it standing and we'll see just how untested Ronda has been.

I've said it for years and I'll say it again, Holly is the one to beat Ronda barring any fluke. If Holly doesn't do it, no one will.

Tyson also did drugs, didn't train, and hung around hookers and Don King types. Unless Ronda is doing similar stuff (which I don't think she is), it's not a good comparison.

There were stories about here being a weeded out alcoholic living in her car, not sure if they are true. Otherwise she's hanging out with Dana White and she's a wild girl herself...

But she'll never be on Tyson's level, so she can keep use his name if she wants, Mike is a sell-out anyway.

Holly has looked WAAYYYYY to stiff in her last fights. She has been super hesitant and basically a counter puncher it seems like. That isn't gonna work against rousey obviously. If she comes in with a nothing to lose attitude and starts swinging she has a chance...Here is some of her past work

Holly_Holm_vs._Allanna_Jones_medium.gif

Last edited:
Holm's lateral movement won't keep her out of the clinch for more than a round, especially when her punching power poses no threat at all. Maybe it takes one try, maybe it takes three, but Ronda will toss Holm to the ground and submit her without issue.

Really this is the fight analysis now? "Their personalities are similar to these other two guys that fought and there was a big upset so it could happen here also"

Look at the way Holms and Rousey fight, and then its safe to sleep on holm. Shes got nothing for ronda. I used to think she might be a threat when i'd only seen her highlights vs lesser fighters, but having seen her in the UFC she just doesnt have anything to threaten ronda.

I'm not, Holly is a very athletic woman, I think she definitely has things in her arsenal that could give Ronda problems, but still Rousey is just to good. It's very hard to imagine her losing. I do think Holm is a bigger threat than Tate though.

I don't know maybe Holm can drag Ronda into a little bit of deep water and make it a fight like Meisha did, but the safe bet will always be Ronda via 1st Rd Submission or Knockout

Tyson also did drugs, didn't train, and hung around hookers and Don King types. Unless Ronda is doing similar stuff (which I don't think she is), it's not a good comparison.

Good point, we shall see. Ronda is mega disciplined so I doubt she goes on a bender like Tyson or Jon Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I still got Ronda on this but I think too many folks are counting Holms out right away when she could be trouble for the champ.

If they gave Holm another year she'd be 34 years old, and likely have lost to Davis or someone before getting her shot

True enough, but anyone thinking she's going to be more competitive than Tate is dreaming.

It's really a testament to both how good Rousey is and how little competition she has at the moment.

Here's hoping Jackson and co. can get her to a point where this fight is at least slightly interesting.

Striking will be competitive but Ronda easily wins on the ground

They could give Holm a thousand years, and it still wouldn't matter. However, any fight is better than a pointless trilogy.

Good point, we shall see. Ronda is mega disciplined so I doubt she goes on a bender like Tyson or Jon Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I still got Ronda on this but I think too many folks are counting Holms out right away when she could be trouble for the champ.

I read a great book on Tyson like ten years ago.

Supposedly Don King made him go to all of these press events in Tokyo instead of training. While Douglass was sparring and all of that, Tyson was eating sushi at PR events and such. Supposedly the ONLY thing he did for the fight with consistency was run, but he didn't maintain sparring, mitt work, or anything else important.

Holly has looked WAAYYYYY to stiff in her last fights. She has been super hesitant and basically a counter puncher it seems like. That isn't gonna work against rousey obviously. If she comes in with a nothing to lose attitude and starts swinging she has a chance...

Wild swinging in the pocket is exactly what gets Ronda into the clinch. She eats a shot, gets the clinch, fight over.

Hesitation, footwork, and annoying jabs are the best recipe to frustrate Ronda. Test her aerobic conditioning and her patience. She doesn't seem like a patient woman, and I don't know whether or not she can chase for periods of time - its a different cardio. Does she shoot for takedowns, or just from the clinch - that's a big difference, too. Jones had a hard time with Gusto, and it was based on not clinching while eating jabs - he got desparate and started shooting, and his shot is not that practiced compared to his clinchwork.

I think this is a good matchup. There is literally no good matchup, but this is a style makes fights '?'

Seriously though, this thread is borderline retarded. There is absolutely no KO threat in this fight which will ultimately result in Rousey charging her recklessly and mauling her to the ground like always. WMMA.

there is a thread for people who think HH can beat RRR. why dont you go there!
why are you posting this? are you stupid or paid by UFC to create these threads to make it look like HH is some kind of a challenge to Ronda and thus legitimizing Ronda's competition? smh

I read a great book on Tyson like ten years ago.

Supposedly Don King made him go to all of these press events in Tokyo instead of training. While Douglass was sparring and all of that, Tyson was eating sushi at PR events and such. Supposedly the ONLY thing he did for the fight with consistency was run, but he didn't maintain sparring, mitt work, or anything else important.

This may be true. However, as soon as Tyson lost, and I remember this clearly, everyone from media to friends at school automatically came up with reasons/excuses, whether they'd seen the fight or not. Its normal - an 'unbeatable god' vs someone without a big name, and the lesser known wins - gotta be a fluke, or an explanation (Anderson/Weidman?)

But, watch the fight, and the commentary, and if you were old enough to watch it with people - fucking nobody was saying, "Tyson looks like shit, or like he hasn't trained" "Tyson's gonna kill him, here it comes" was more like it. There was a subdued confusion that grew as rounds went by, and then Tyson DID start to look like shit, until dropping Douglas the round before Douglas beat him. Douglas showed more heart in getting up there than he did the rest of his career, and it was probably due to his mom dying. Tyson looked worse and worse as the fight went on, but THAT WAS TYSON. It was rare that his fights went deep, but when they did, he always at least showed signs of wilting. He was used to getting people out early, having them fear him, and physically he trained to get them out early. once a fight goes past 15 minutes, the anaerobic/sprint-type athelte's slow down more than the skinny Diaz types. Throw in a weak/spoiled mentality, and things get interesting.

I buy that Tyson didn't take it seriously enough. But I suggest that Douglas fought above himself, and that Tyson was a different guy if you could get him into deep water. Rousey may possibly be the same. I said this all about Lesnar years ago, and was ridiculed. He was more ridiculously mentally weak than I imagined. I said this all about Jones v Gusto, and I was wrong there - he really has guts.

Until its proven, its a question mark. Good matchup UFC. I wouldn't throw a cent on Holm, but its more interesting than watching some broad who's just going to run straight into the Lion's Den, without the tools to deal with the lion.

Back