Don't really have a better alternative

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Miguel Guerrero, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Miguel Guerrero

Miguel Guerrero Amateur Fighter

Its me again. Ill go straight to the point. Im a college student currently living in a rented flat with 2 other students. Im away from home, and money is not something I can pretty much brag about. I managed to pay 40 euros a month to train BJJ, but I also want to lift weights... the thing is I dont have neither the money nor the time to go to a different gym just to lift weights.

So I was thinking about lifting weights in my own room when I have the free time, maybe 3,4 or 5 times a week. The thing is I dont have the money or the space to get a powerrack or a Barbell... I can pretty much afford a pair of Dumbbells and some plates, and maybe even a bench. I know its not the best way but, its better than not training at all, so... any routines I could follow? Before I was planning on doing starting strength by Mark rippetoe, but I need a Barbell and alot of weights to do that one. So maybe a more hypertrophy based routine would do...

My objective is to gain some muscle, maybe around 10-15 pounds, I got my diet planned out, I train BJJ 3-4 times a week.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Your college doesn't have a gym?

3. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but unless you can Squat, Deadlift and Bench with a Barbell, the chances of you putting on 10 - 15lbs of muscle is very low, I would have thought.

If, and it's a long shot I know, you can get your roommates interested in weight training, you may be able to persuade them to chip in money for some quality equipment.

Does'nt your collage have a weight room? Sorry, dumb question; if it did you would'nt have started this Thread. I'd look into any deals that some gyms offer students; over here, students pay a reduced fee for Gym membership.

All the advice I can give you, I'm afraid.

4. CRZA

CRZA Purple Belt

???

5. Miguel Guerrero

I study in the university of Seville, over here we have a college gym called SADUS. Its 11 euros to get the sports card (to be able to pay the student price), and then 26 euros monthly to train there. More than money, the problem is time.

Mondays and Tuesdays I have class from 11:00-19:00.

Wednesdays from 09:00-19:00 and Thursdays from 09:00-18:00.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I train BJJ from 19:15-20:45... and Saturday mornings 3 hours aprox.

Besides Fridays... I cant really find the time to go take my bike and go to the SADUS, which is a 20 min bike ride from my house.

You see if I could train at home, I could even lift weights saturday and sundays.

One solution is to go Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays in the morning really soon... but I cant stop but think that it will take alot of energy from me... plus time to study.

What do you suggest? Thanks for the advice.

6. KnightTemplar

Go early twice a week if you're worried about it taking too much out of you. Use one of the SS Programs; they alternate between A and B workouts so that fits nicely into a 2 day split. Or you can use the 2 day split from the FAQ.

Look on the 20 minute bike ride as a warm up.

Don't lift two days in a row. If you're Squatting each session, and you should be if gaining muscle and strength is your goal, this will be too much for you.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  7. Miguel Guerrero

So how about Tuesdays and Friday mornings? If I only go in the morning, it costs me 20 euros per month, which is pretty nice. Maybe Mark Rippetoes starting strength 2 days per week like you suggested... but my question is, is that enough?

8. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Is your gym on the same campus as your classes? You could go in the morning before you classes or after class on Tuesday and Thursday.

9. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Of course it is.

From the other thread posted about 2-day splits:

Do each lift 5 times a set for 5 sets. Do this every week and you'll become a strong motherfucker.

10. KnightTemplar

Sounds good. And don't worry about not doing enough; you're a full time collage student and training four times a week in BJJ. You should be more worried about doing too much weight training.

SS twice a week with plenty of rest and a good diet(Mr Milk is your best friend)will pack on muscle.

11. Miguel Guerrero

Man I like that... simple, quick and yet it looks basic and intense as hell. That workout could take me how long aprox., 1 hour?

12. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Do a 2 day split, twice a week.
    20 minute bike
    1hr WO
    20 minute bike

Hate to be harsh dude but if you cant devote 3-4 hours a week and 26 bucks a month, I doubt you are going to make much progress with any routine or equipment.

13. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Yeah. I do almost the same routine. I do
    A) Squats, bench, chins
    B) Deads, OHP, Rows

Usually finish with a 10 minutes or so of cardio. I'm always out in an hour.

14. Miguel Guerrero

Dont worry man you're right, im starting to realize my initial idea was pretty stupid.

I really like the 2 day split idea. Get up early train and the straight to class. By the way, a quick question about the Overhead Press... Is it alright if I do it with Dumbbells?

15. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Yeah, probably shorter than that. Depends how long you wait in between sets.

16. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

I'm sure it's alright, as long as you're still lifting heavy.

17. Miguel Guerrero

18. KnightTemplar

Dude, you answered your own question: if it's SS, it's valid.

You can use Dumbbells for Overhead Press, but you will make faster progress with a Barbell.

19. Miguel Guerrero

OK, thanks alot for the advice! :D

20. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

If necessary, use alternate sets to save time. I.e. inbetween sets of one exercise, do another exercise that works most different muscles. Personally I like to do this with almost all upperbody work, alternating between a push exercise, like bench or OHP, and a pull, like chin-ups, facepulls or rows.