Don't pretend you don't miss this

Meh, you're just another MMA Orientalist. You guys think it's cool because it's Japanese, that's all. If the UFC did this, you'd be deriding it as another instance of evil Dana White turning our beloved sport into a WWE-esque circus.

ha, nice escape

I'm siding with the OP.

The 'MMA Orientalist' theory is bull. I couldn't care which country promoted it.

If anything, I'm surprised to see Japan went that route instead of the Western World. Given the vast majority of our preferred sports, and fans, are like a over hyped, over commercialized circus anyway. I'm all for an entrance, it adds to the spectacle of a live show. Providing (as I've already stated) they stay short and respectful to the other fighter.

It's not bull. It's the same logic they use when they shit on the UFC for hiring pro wrasslers (Bork, Punk) but give PRIDE a pass (countless examples of puroresu PRIDE fighters).

No doubt. Probably complain that UFC's pyrotechnics budget takes away from fighter pay too.

Lol.

"If you add up the cost of the fuel, divide that by 400, each fighter on the roster could be getting an additional $23.50 a year! Fucking greedy bastards, man!"

Meh, you're just another MMA Orientalist. You guys think it's cool because it's Japanese, that's all. If the UFC did this, you'd be deriding it as another instance of evil Dana White turning our beloved sport into a WWE-esque circus.

This is an extremely presumptuous statement in which your basis is conjecture.

Some of us were brought into Mma via pride so of course we will feel nostalgia.
Why you're trying to discredit peoples motives behind enjoying Pride is petty.

This is an extremely presumptuous statement in which your basis is conjecture.

Some of us were brought into Mma via pride so of course we will feel nostalgia.
Why you're trying to discredit peoples motives behind enjoying Pride is petty.

I used to buy PRIDE PPVs, too, and have fond memories. It introduced me to Miruko Kuro Koppu, one of my favorite fighters. But then again, at least I'm consistent. I didn't shit on PRIDE then for their puroresu-ers just like I don't shit on the UFC or CM Punk now for being a pro wrassler.

That screaming chick they had was absolute trash, though.

I used to buy PRIDE PPVs, too, and have fond memories. It introduced me to Miruko Kuro Koppu, one of my favorite fighters. But then again, at least I'm consistent. I didn't shit on PRIDE then for their puroresu-ers just like I don't shit on the UFC or CM Punk now for being a pro wrassler.

That screaming chick they had was absolute trash, though.

If you liked Pride I don't understand the need to generalize Pride fans.
The Ufc was not attacked so there was no need for defensive posturing.

With that being said Lenne Hardt was an acquired taste.

Lol. It's as good an explanation as anything I can think of, but yes, there is a lot of weird "blame the UFC for everything Pride did, while uphold Pride as the exemplar of everything right in MMA ever" on Sherdog.

It's not bull. It's the same logic they use when they shit on the UFC for hiring pro wrasslers (Bork, Punk) but give PRIDE a pass (countless examples of puroresu PRIDE fighters).

Never had an issue with Brock, given his pedigree of being a legit athlete combined with legit wrestling credentials. Respect Punk for what he's doing and the business decision behind it. Not a fan of him from what I've seen personally, or the fact he's gained a roster sport ahead of 50 + others.

Pride fan, UFC fan, MMA fan. Rarely 'shit' on any promotion as you eloquently put it.

Different logic right there.

One thing I do agree with, is that the UFC gets too much stick from fans.

Last edited:

It's not cool because it's Japanese. It's cool because of how much creative control was given to the fighters themselves, rather than forcing them all through the same regiment.

IMO, anyone unable to make this basic observation is an idiot.

Those entrances for final conflict 2004 were amazing with the image over the stadium

Nobody said this was good because it's Japan...it was good because it was grand and obviously well organized....as compared to how UFC hype up fights and create drama between fighters to sell seats...GTFO.

With the UFC entrances its like they're going backwards in quality.. They look like amateurs next to this shit.

giphy.gif

I too dislike the lack of emphasis on walkouts in UFC - a big part of the event, fighters and they help bring that awesome "big fight feel".

I like fancy entrances.. Cool thing about Japan.

But I also like like best fights under one roof and that it must happen today - not in the past. So unless someone brings back fancy Japanese mma then I can't say I bother to miss it too much. There are worse things to stress about.

Nobody said this was good because it's Japan...it was good because it was grand and obviously well organized....as compared to how UFC hype up fights and create drama between fighters to sell seats...GTFO.

Sure thing, weeaboo.

image.php

It's not cool because it's Japanese. It's cool because of how much creative control was given to the fighters themselves, rather than forcing them all through the same regiment.

IMO, anyone unable to make this basic observation is an idiot.

I 100% agree with this and believe you are worthy on an honorary black belt. Let the fighter decide, especially if they are willing to back it financially. Again within a time constraint and also keeping it respectful.

No need to go all out fireworks, stages, blow thousands of

Sure thing, weeaboo.

image.php

weeaboo - someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it.

Spiderman is not japanese asshole

Funny how Pride haters can't appreciate the beauty of their fighter entrances, but splooge in their pants when McGregor comes out to Sinead O' Connor singing live like it's a Mayweather PPV freakshow.

Back