Dont go below parallel!!

gazhatton

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently read starting strength and watched the instructional DVDs that go with it. I was blown away by the squat DVD and was excited to get down the gym and put what i had learnt into practice.

I warmed up, started off with BW squats (shoving my knees out) then just the bar, carefully using all the things I had learnt. It felt great and I started to put some weight on the bar gradually increasing so I could still concentrate on technique; 40, 60, 70, 80, 90kg. They all felt good so I went for 100kg (which is my prev PR at 2 reps). I was training alone so thought it only sensible to ask for a spot from someone experienced. I asked a guy who a i'd seen a lot of people go to for help/advice.

I did 4 reps with him behind me, everything was right, hams touching calves, knees out at the bottom, hip drive, chest up, chin down looking at the floor, EVERYTHING felt good from my feet position to where the bar was on my back. I racked the bar and turned round and was told I was doing it all wrong because I went below parallel!! He told me to strip all the weight off and start again with just the bar going exactly to parallel!! WTF! :mad:

I recently read starting strength and watched the instructional DVDs that go with it. I was blown away by the squat DVD and was excited to get down the gym and put what i had learnt into practice.

I warmed up, started off with BW squats (shoving my knees out) then just the bar, carefully using all the things I had learnt. It felt great and I started to put some weight on the bar gradually increasing so I could still concentrate on technique; 40, 60, 70, 80, 90kg. They all felt good so I went for 100kg (which is my prev PR at 2 reps). I was training alone so thought it only sensible to ask for a spot from someone experienced. I asked a guy who a i'd seen a lot of people go to for help/advice.

I did 4 reps with him behind me, everything was right, hams touching calves, knees out at the bottom, hip drive, chest up, chin down looking at the floor, EVERYTHING felt good from my feet position to where the bar was on my back. I racked the bar and turned round and was told I was doing it all wrong because I went below parallel!! He told me to strip all the weight off and start again with just the bar going exactly to parallel!! WTF! :mad:

He's a dumbass.

He's a dumbass.

Yeah I wont pay attention it just pisses me off when experts like you and Rippetoe are out there giving people information to get the most out of their training and not injure themselves and some people are still spreading old wives tales.

He's a dumbass.

^^^^

I think there are 3 guys who squat below parellel at my fitness center. One does oly lifts, one is running a 5x5, and one is an old school bb lifter in his early 50's. I have never seen anyone else more than half squat. and we have plenty of dudes that look like the Situation.;)

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to discuss, answer, or comment on.

I generally keep to myself when lifting just to avoid this kind of sitation. I don`t speak to anyone other than cute women and never ask for a spot unless I really really need one (which is never).
Once some old man tried to tell me not to go below parallel but I just ignored him. He must have thought I was a prick.

EDIT: To be useful, whenever I run into one of these guys I usually just tell them I'll take it into consideration and maybe try it next time I'm at the gym. Like flak said, the guy probably isn't being a jerk, he just doesn't know any better.

Another option that I take with my co-workers is to tell them that my routine and lifting technique is based on programs created by well-respected guys in the powerlifting field (Rippetoe, Wendler etc). Basically the ol' "appeal to authority" thing.

Last edited:

Sounds like a know it all, who the hell tells people what to do with their barbell? I hope you didn't strip the barbell down.... because it doesn't even make sense. If you can go below parallel with a certain weight then you can parallel with the same amount of weight.

Were you squatting in a power rack?

If so, and if you had it set up properly, you didn't need a spotter.

The guy was probably telling you what he thought was good info. You know the saying, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

It is annoying that he didn't ask you "is there a reason you're squatting so deep?" and see what you had to say before he told you to stop at parallel.

When I started working out back in the day, the old powerlifters would tell me, "ass to ankles" when doing squats. For whatever reason, I could never get it right. But I tired, it just wasn't meant for me to squat that deep.

There's not right or wrong way when it comes to ROM of for squats. Either go below parallel or at least to parallel, but please, don't squat just 12 inches with loads of weight on the bar.

Going below parallel will ruin your knees. Any doctor you ask will tell you so. As a matter of fact, you are better off avoiding squats altogether. Combining the leg extension and leg curl machine is a much better alternative.

Going below parallel will ruin your knees. Any doctor you ask will tell you so. As a matter of fact, you are better off avoiding squats altogether. Combining the leg extension and leg curl machine is a much better alternative.

No way bro you're forgetting the hack squat and leg press machines. You must have sparrow legs.

edit: and calf raise machine.

No way bro you're forgetting the hack squat and leg press machines. You must have sparrow legs

Those machines are crap when it comes to isolating the VMO though.

What are you talking about.

You need to stop all of that useless training, allof you in fact, and work on your GUNZ.

If you aren't doing 5 variations of curls, sorry, CURLZ, every session, you are wasting your time.

CURLZ FOR THE GURLZ.

What are you talking about.

You need to stop all of that useless training, allof you in fact, and work on your GUNZ.

If you aren't doing 5 variations of curls, sorry, CURLZ, every session, you are wasting your time.

CURLZ FOR THE GURLZ.

do leg curlz count? They work my leg biceps.

do leg curlz count? They work my leg biceps.

Duh!

That depends on the swimming suit you wear on the beach. If it is a surfer-style long-trunks swimsuit you're wearing, then leg curls is obviously a waste of your time.

On a serious note gazhatton (really..why don't people use something like their names, but I digress), ask him why if he tells you again (I would feel the need to get him to spot me again and go ass to grass again as you did, just for the provocation).
Then I would suggest when he mentions it ruining knees, you can start about OLers and PLers and how they have no knee issues.
I would throw in how sin (pi/2) [or 90 degrees) gives you a peak (1), therefore maximal stress when applied to joints, whereas as you move away from this number (in either direction), the angle becomes less and therefore there is less stress on the joints.
See link- WikiAnswers - How is sin 90 equal to 1

I have used this a few times on people. Suffica to say they fuck off because I confuse them (although one dickhead mentioned Ronnie Coleman and this was on a break between sets, so I felt duty bound to rip him to shreds, intellectually- also he was squatting half my weight in a smith machine for 1/2 reps).

Duh!

That depends on the swimming suit you wear on the beach. If it is a surfer-style long-trunks swimsuit you're wearing, then leg curls is obviously a waste of your time.

Truth

But seriously though, the 30 minutes I do on the eliptical and the cycling I do to and from the gym on cardio days (those 2 miles will waste my gains otherwise) are enough for my legs.

Don't do parallel olympic squats.

Don't listen to anybody at the gym.

I don't think going below parallel will ruin your knees, but it can put you at higher risk for injury. One slip when below parallel and you could easily tear cartliage or even a ligament.

And miaou, leg extensions are actually bad for your knees. Ask any decent ortho doctor and they'll tell you that. The leg extension exercise actually encourages a hyperextension of the knee which puts extreme amounts of stress on the knee. Then add the weight you're 'extending' (probably 4X the weight) you have wear and tear over time.

Not arguing, just saying...

As for the argument of, are squats necessary? I think they are. They alone work/build the largest amount of muscles and muscle group in the body. They increase strength and power. For me, if I wanted to grow, I had to do squats- period. I could bench, row, deadlift all day long, but as soon as I added squats on a regular basis, I grow.

Oh yeah, stretch!

Back