Don't Fear the Sweeper - Gifs of Great Sweeps in MMA

tumblr_nbro2jhFMp1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

for those that dont know, i'm guessing ts' title is a reference to this classic rock song:

Man, Diaz blew that opportunity.

with only 39 seconds left in the round, i doubt it mattered much.

but i do wonder if he let conor sweep him, or if it truly caught him off guard.

Josh Barnett sweeps the Olympic Judo Gold Medalist Pawel Nastula and immediately slaps on a nasty toe hold

06-Josh-Barnett-vs-Pawel-Nastula.gif

Edit: technically a reversal, not a sweep, since he was in side mount. But still awesome

Last edited:
Nick sweeping cyborg into an Armbar

Didn't brandao have a sweet one right into a finish against bermudez?

Last edited:
Conor's ground game is ridiculously underrated.

People just say "He was subbed three times therefore his ground game sucks!" but considering two of those were early in his career and one was against Nate Diaz...also consider that he showed great ground skills against Holloway and swept Diaz, he's clearly underrated.

He also

- Hit a beautiful reversal on Brandao, and escaped multiple leglocks and kneebars when Brandao is a 2nd degree BJJ black belt
- Got up from under Mendes multiple times, hurt him from guard with elbows, and escaped a guillotine and then outscrambled him to KO him
- Looked great on the ground against Siver, even mounting him with ease
- Escaped a guillotine that Diaz, a 2nd degree BJJ black belt, himself said would've tapped most guys
- Has only been taken down like 6/26 times in the UFC, and 4 of those were against Mendes on short notice. The other 2 were against Diaz where in the first fight he immediately swept him in that gif, and then the other came in the 2nd fight only after 24:30 minutes of fighting and 6 failed attempts.

They hold onto the Diaz submission as proof it sucks when the reality is is that it's proof why Diaz is a 2nd degree black belt with the most submissions in LW history. Conor escaped the guillotine and so Diaz countered the escape into full mount, then when Conor rolled Diaz managed to transition it into taking his back, and then Conor was defending the RNC until Diaz got the space necessary to get under the chin using a punch to force his head back off the momentum. It's not that Conor did anything wrong, it's that Diaz is simply an amazing BJJ practitioner and vet and showed it.

McGregor's ground game is fine.

Last edited:
with only 39 seconds left in the round, i doubt it mattered much.

but i do wonder if he let conor sweep him, or if it truly caught him off guard.

Considering Diaz had just tried to take Conor down and tried to get on top of him, I doubt his plan was to be the one on the bottom only seconds later.

Back