Dont ever say Tai Chi has no place in MMA again

MilesAbove

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Gall utilized a Chin Na Tai Chi Chuan technique to set up that knockdown. Now, I am 100% it is a move utilized in BJJ/Wrestling as well when opportunity arises, but that technique is Tai Chi through and through.

The #1 problem for Tai Chi has been the last 100 years of McDojos in both east and west that only teach theory or bastardized basics, while over-promising effectiveness without real-world testing. I hope with this maneuver we start to see people taking into account Tai Chi as a strong basis for balance, distance, and standing lock development in MMA.

It cannot be the only technique. It shouldn't even be your primary technique. But it is a strong supplement in the aforementioned areas when applied to MMA.

Tai chi is like yoga, its an exercise routine..

Tai Chi Quan is a legitimate martial art; unfortunately, it's generally taught at maybe 1/16th speed as a form of leisure or exercise, but at full speed, it's a probably fairly decent self-defense system.

He timed a beautiful right hand counter, wtf r u on about?

Yes, Tai Chi and Cross Fit... Deadly Martial arts for sure.

<{1-8}>.

Tai Chi and laundery folding are some lethal routines in the deed

Chin Na is not Tai Chi Chuan. Chin Na or Qianna is its own grappling/joint locking system. A lot of other Chinese systems incorporate it. But it is a separate art.

He timed a beautiful right hand counter, wtf r u on about?

He utilized Sage's lack of knowledge on where to put his hand with his underhook, spaced his feet properly, turned his hips outward to cause an Upward Elbow lock, and finished with a strike. Usually you'd utilize a stright punch when you reverse your hip direction, step in with the lead and rotate 180 to face the same direction as the opponent to finish the lock. However the latter is not useful in MMA with such powerful and balanced athletes, so he opted for a strike which worked beautifully.

Wrestling and BJJ both utilize this standing armlock, I would assume. However it has root in Tai Chi, specifically the combination utilized by Gall.

Isn't Tai chi a drink they sell in Starbucks?
Or is that a chi tea latte? I'm sure that's got a place in MMA.

Gall utilized a Chin Na Tai Chi Chuan technique to set up that knockdown. Now, I am 100% it is a move utilized in BJJ/Wrestling as well when opportunity arises, but that technique is Tai Chi through and through.

The #1 problem for Tai Chi has been the last 100 years of McDojos in both east and west that only teach theory or bastardized basics, while over-promising effectiveness without real-world testing. I hope with this maneuver we start to see people taking into account Tai Chi as a strong basis for balance, distance, and standing lock development in MMA.

It cannot be the only technique. It shouldn't even be your primary technique. But it is a strong supplement in the aforementioned areas when applied to MMA.
Do you think Mike Perry can be champ if he utilized Tai Chi?

giphy.gif

Chin Na is not Tai Chi Chuan. Chin Na or Qianna is its own grappling/joint locking system. A lot of other Chinese systems incorporate it. But it is a separate art.

Chin Na means submission. BJJ has Chin Na techniques, catch wrestling has Chin Na techniques, Tai Chi has Chin Na techniques

People dissing Tai Chi as an exercise would fail to keep up with Chinese 80 year olds who practise in squares..... going slower is harder by the way.

And when you speed it up it has applications as a martial art.

Stfu it's women's mma .. pretty sure some yoga female could fight in the UFC and win

Back