dont care about cuts, just want mass and strength

All the bars and plates at my gym are from Eleiko... u mad?

What I've found is that despite making awesome bars, Eleiko collars have a signifcant flaw. The ends of the pin you spin to tighten/loosen the collars unscrew, and don't necessarily screw back on snuggly. Which leads to the pin falling out, and is a general pain in the ass. Also, the end you spin to tighten them against the bar even more have a tendency to get stuck. And considering this is a powerlifting gym, with some very strong people, so them being stuck isn't a matter of not enough strength to make them unstuck. So in my opinion, Werksan Collars are better.

Which movie?

That was from "My neighbor Totoro". If you haven't seen any Miyazaki movies before, I would recommend "Princess Mononoke" or "Laputa: Caste in the sky" or "Howl's moving castle" as your first view.

It's actually a modified version of a segment in the movie Super Troopers. One cop bets he can't say "meow" 10 times to a person they pulled over. So he drops "meow" into the conversation a bunch.
I haven't seen that one. I guess that's why the joke went completely over my head. Is it a good view?

What I've found is that despite making awesome bars, Eleiko collars have a signifcant flaw. The ends of the pin you spin to tighten/loosen the collars unscrew, and don't necessarily screw back on snuggly. Which leads to the pin falling out, and is a general pain in the ass. Also, the end you spin to tighten them against the bar even more have a tendency to get stuck. And considering this is a powerlifting gym, with some very strong people, so them being stuck isn't a matter of not enough strength to make them unstuck. So in my opinion, Werksan Collars are better.
My gym has one squat rack and 6 bench stations (2 of them are incline). So it has 7 barbells in total. Only one of these barbells has normal thickness, the other six have a slightly thinner grip and they weigh 1-2 kg less (I've weighted them all myself!). So every time I go to them gym I have to "hunt" for "my bar". And that bar has a similar thing with the screws: they are very loose and after every couple of sets I have to screw them back in. Only, I'm not talking about the collar screws, I am talking about the screws of the actual bar at the end of each rotating sleeve! They don't get stuck though, that means they are better than yours, so you can suck my dick!

Last edited:
That was from "My neighbor Totoro". If you haven't seen any Miyazaki movies before, I would recommend "Princess Mononoke" or "Laputa: Caste in the sky" or "Howl's moving castle" as your first view.

I'm gradually working my way through his movies, and I agree, they are awesome. I didn't remember anything like that cat, so I was wondering if it was from one I hadn't seen yet (it is).

My gym has one squat rack and 6 bench stations (2 of them are incline). So it has 7 barbells in total. Only one of these barbells has normal thickness, the other six have a slightly thinner grip and they weigh 1-2 kg less (I've weighted them all myself!). So every time I go to them gym I have to "hunt" for "my bar". And that bar has a similar thing with the screws: they are very loose and after every couple of sets I have to screw them back in. Only, I'm not talking about the collar screws, I am talking about the screws of the actual bar at the end of each rotating sleeve! They don't get stuck though, that means they are better than yours, so you can suck my dick!

It just means that I generally use the Werksan collars instead of the Eleiko ones. Besides, even if bit to adjust the collar (not tighten onto the bar, but tighten against the plates) gets stuck, they're still usable. So you'll have to proposition someone else. I suggest Prok. He knows why.

I'm gradually working my way through his movies, and I agree, they are awesome. I didn't remember anything like that cat, so I was wondering if it was from one I hadn't seen yet (it is).
Which ones have you seen?

It just means that I generally use the Werksan collars instead of the Eleiko ones. Besides, even if bit to adjust the collar (not tighten onto the bar, but tighten against the plates) gets stuck, they're still usable. So you'll have to proposition someone else. I suggest Prok. He knows why.

Well, on the other hand, my gym has nothing but spring collars. And I'm not even using those with the stupid weights I work with these days!

I haven't seen that one. I guess that's why the joke went completely over my head. Is it a good view?

That depends on what you're interested in. It's really a stupid humor movie, same guys in the movie Beer Fest. They're Vermont State Troopers who just fuck with anyone they come across, including each other. They bust another jurisdiction selling pot or something.

Dumb movie, yet has a ton of hilarious quotables.

Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Spirited Away was the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Whoever made that shit was seriously fucked in the head. Is that supposed to be a children's movie? If I had watched that when I was little I would have freaked the hell out.

What is the deal with this Miyazaki and why are you actively trying to watch more of the sick things he calls movies?

Spirited Away was the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Whoever made that shit was seriously fucked in the head. Is that supposed to be a children's movie? If I had watched that when I was little I would have freaked the hell out.

What is the deal with this Miyazaki and why are you actively trying to watch more of the sick things he calls movies?

I don't think little kids were the target audience. And if a movie's weird or freaks you out a bit, I think that makes it more worthwhile...I'd suggest you give his other movies a try, although you'd probably just complain about vertigo from watching castle in the sky or something.

So instead I'll suggest a movie with no action, suspense, creativity...at no point will you feel concern for the protagonist, because there isn't one. You can just look at the nice, familar image of the empire state building, and relax. Andy Warhol's Empire:

This is only a sample. The actual movie is 8 hours long.

Or you could just watch You've got Mail or something...but make sure to read the synopsis on wikipedia first, Just in case there's anything that might freak you out or bother you.

^
You are right, the lady with the gigantic head makes me feel a hell of a lot of concern for the protagonist:

Film-Spirited-Away-2001-001.jpg

I get the feeling that the guy who made it was on LSD when he did. The whole movie was really random and trippy. It begged the question: "what in god's name did I just watch?"

You've Got Mail...was that the one in Seattle with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan? I watched a few minutes of it but it freaked me out too much. I have yet to read the synopsis on wikipedia, though.

Spirited Away is definitely the most complicated and "hard to digest", in terms of meanings and symbolisms, movie from Miyazaki. I've seen it 3 times; you really need to watch it a second time to fully appreciate it. It is definitely a great piece of art and there is nothing random about it. Miyazaki's movies often include elements from Japanese mythology, and someone who completely ignores those concepts might not understand some important details/symbolisms.

I rewatched "Nausicaa of the valley of the winds" a few months ago (I had watched it once some years ago). It's a much more simple and straight-forward movie but I found it deeply touching. The build up to and the final climax are very simple, but so fucking strong.

If you thought Spirited Away was "seriously fucked in the head", then definitely don't ever read into ancient greek tragedy and/or the idea of catharsis. You won't be able to handle it, or even understand it.

Last edited:
Spirited Away is definitely the most complicated and "hard to digest", in terms of meanings and symbolisms, movie from Miyazaki. I've seen it 3 times; you really need to watch it a second time to fully appreciate it. It is definitely a great piece of art and there is nothing random about it. Miyazaki's movies often include elements from Japanese mythology, and someone who completely ignores those concepts might not understand some important details/symbolisms.

I rewatched "Nausicaa of the valley of the winds" a few months ago (I had watched it once some years ago). It's a much more simple and straight-forward movie but I found it deeply touching. The build up to and the final climax are very simple, but so fucking strong.

If you thought Spirited Away was "seriously fucked in the head", then definitely don't ever read into ancient greek tragedy and/or the idea of catharsis. You won't be able to handle it, or even understand it.

Spirited Away being compared to ancient Greek catharsis? We are talking about the same movie, right? The one with this scene:

?

P.S. Yes, I have read into Greek tragedy and/or catharsis a little bit. I recently read "Antigone" and "Medea". I am not intelligent enough to grasp the hidden symbolism of the lady with the huge head, though.

We are talking about the same movie. The one that got universally acclaimed by every single critic out there (rotten tomatoes has it at 97% overall, and 100% in it's "top critics").

That video has only part of the scene; that scene started earlier and ended later. I haven't watched in a while to remember the exact details, but I think that scene had a very simplistic symbolisms, regarding the ugly/stinky/disgusting spirit (was that a spirit of a river or something?) that everybody got disgusted from, but the little girl got close enough to notice there was human garbage in it, and once it removed all the debris from inside it it became healthy again. That's both a symbolism similar to "judging a book by its cover" and an ecology-oriented message. At least that's what I think I remember from that scene.

The next scene (the one with the spirit that is giving away gold and then starts eating people) has a much deeper/stronger symbolism.

I might watch it again some time.

Until then my current opinion stands, regardless of what rotten tomatoes thinks of it.

I always enjoy discussing things with you and Tosa, though.

It is good to keep an open mind and try to be aware of things. It is not like you are actively thinking and analyzing every scene, trying to break down every single symbolism/meaning, as you are watching the movie. What you need to do is open your mind and emotions enough to "plug in" and let the symbolisms/meanings resonate at the back of your head.

Again, Spirited Away is Miyazaki's least "easily digestible" movie. That's why I would recommend other movies as a first view. "Princess Mononoke", "Laputa: Caste in the sky" and "Howl's moving castle" are excellent to start with (edit: howl's moving castle being the heavier of the three). Maybe even "Nausicaa or the valley of the winds", although that might seem a bit too simplistic to some. Maybe try some of those movies before rewatching Spirited Away.

Last edited:
I might watch it again some time.

Until then my current opinion stands, regardless of what rotten tomatoes thinks of it.

I always enjoy discussing things with you and Tosa, though.

You're free to dislike any movie you want, and have your own opinion. But that doesn't mean you aren't wrong. And here's where I'd put one of those face icons to show that I mean that in a good humored way if I used those face icons.

You're free to dislike any movie you want, and have your own opinion. But that doesn't mean you aren't wrong. And here's where I'd put one of those face icons to show that I mean that in a good humored way if I used those face icons. But I'm too serious for that silliness.

Fixed.

I also feel that those face icons are too silly.

And lol @ Tosa's seriousness.

rjo0652l.jpg

Well, on the other hand, my gym has nothing but spring collars. And I'm not even using those with the stupid weights I work with these days!

My gym also has only spring collars, which gets to be a problem at something like 180 kgs when the weights start slipping in spite of the collar. As of now I only deadlift 160, so I'm cool for another few months... then i have to start thinking of buying my own collars.

Eventually it will become an issue. Try using 2, or even three, spring collars per side and it shouldn't be too bad for deadlifts.

Back