Don't be an idiot

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
like me.

I shot myself 2 nights ago, on the very same day that I was posting about the fact that I'm always safe with my glock and that my son and girlfriend are also both safety trained.

What happened?

I was practicing my draw and dry firing and doing it with a loaded magazine. My stupid rationale was that my gun is obviously heavier with the loaded magazine so I wanted to practice my aim and dry fire with the gun feeling like it normally would. So I would draw, dry fire, eject the magazine, rack the slide to reset the trigger, replace the magazine, and reholster.

I was repeating this and also started practicing disassembling my glock which involves pulling the trigger to release the slide from the frame. Stupidly, I kept doing it while I became distracted with something else. So I was ready to pull the slide off the frame and my hand was in front of the barrel when I pulled the trigger. Very fucking stupid.

Not only that, but it was a hollow point, so the exit wound is gnarly. I'm lucky because my fingers and wrist work fine and I don't think I did any permanent damage.

Well, I'll never make that mistake again. Going to be a hell of a lot more careful from now on. Always use total focus when handling your firearm. Always check the chamber. Don't point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. Don't dry fire with a loaded magazine and don't disassemble your weapon without confirming that the chamber is empty. Don't be dumb like me.

June 4th:
View attachment 858835

View attachment 858836

June 8th update:
Healing fairly well. No infection thanks to my robust immune system. Did some pull ups today. Will be able to hit the heavy bag soon

This is the scar a few months after.

20210922_103424.jpg

Last edited:
Not only that, but it was a hollow point, so the exit wound is gnarly. I'm lucky because my fingers and wrist work fine and I don't think I did any permanent damage.

As a pianist/guitarist, that was really hard to read. I'm glad you're somewhat okay, and had the humility to share your story.

Lesson to all, it can happen to anyone.

Dude...

Rounds need to be in a complete other room if you're dry firing.

Luckily you only fucked up your hand and didn't accidentally blast a family member
Living by myself right now. Wouldn't do it with family around. Won't do it at all with a loaded magazine anymore. Going to always check the chamber prior to disassembly. I have a dog and luckily she's ok.

So what happens when you go to the emergency room with a gunshot wound? I know they have to report that to Law Enforcement.

I always thought I was a weirdo....I dry fire in my basement probably 4-5 times a week. I pick up pistol....hit mag release whether there is a mag in or not....rack slide about 5 times just because I never want to do something stupid. Then I dry fire.

Once at work while showing a coworker an extremely illegal sbs, I negligently discharged it into another coworkers car about 20 yards away. With birdshot and a 12-ish inch barrel it caused nary a scratch lol

Always use total focus when handling your firearm. Always check the chamber. Don't point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. Don't dry fire with a loaded magazine and don't disassemble your weapon without confirming that the chamber is empty. Don't be dumb like me.

Preach brother.

Back