Donnie Wants to "Greatly" Increase Nuke Numbers

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Donald Trump has called for the US to "greatly strengthen and expand" its nuclear arsenal.

The president-elect, who takes office next month, said the US must take such action "until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes".

He spoke hours after President Vladimir Putin said Russia needs to bolster its military nuclear potential.

The US has 7,100 nuclear weapons and Russia has 7,300, according to the US nonpartisan Arms Control Association.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38410027

giphy.gif

"The United States will spend at least $179 billion over the nine fiscal years of 2010-2018 on its nuclear arsenal, averaging $20 billion per year, with costs increasing from $16 billion to $25 billion per year over that timeframe"

http://www.nti.org/analysis/articles/us-nuclear-weapons-budget-overview/

It's such a bad thing the United States wants to protect itself. Obama let other countries walk all over us for 8 years, not happening anymore motherfuckers.

636028491160779307-427101620_30036-00-rfr-eagle_with_flag_and_constitution_1600px.jpg

Our Nuclear arsenal is becoming dated and China and Russian are looking to improve theirs.

They could theoretically neutralize ours if we don't. Nuclear deterrent has kept us from Nuclear Warfare in the past and will so in the future. It's important that all the major power players are on the same level and new dangerous ones don't emerge.

That said, I don't follow it closely enough to have an informed opinion as to whether this is a good idea or not. Also, dates say 2010-2018

Our Nuclear arsenal is becoming dated and China and Russian are looking to improve theirs.

They could theoretically neutralize ours if we don't. Nuclear deterrent has kept us from Nuclear Warfare in the past and will so in the future. It's important that all the major power players are on the same level and new dangerous ones don't emerge.

That said, I don't follow it closely enough to have an informed opinion as to whether this is a good idea or not. Also, dates say 2010-2018
The point is US already spends a significant amount on simply maintaining the current level of warheads. Trump wants to greatly boost that number. The US nuclear arsenal needs modernization yes, but not more warheads. What's the point of having enough to destroy the world 20x over? Trump promised he'd reduce national debt when he's increasing spending all over the place while cutting taxes. It's a recipe for a financial disaster.

Just for reference, China is currently estimated to have anywhere from 200 to 400 warheads, and they're militarily and economically the closest competitor to US.

We can coat the entire world in nuclear fire several times over.

For those of you saying Trump is updating our nuclear capabilities, will he be disposing of the outdated nukes as newer ones are created or will he be keeping both?

We can coat the entire world in nuclear fire several times over.

For those of you saying Trump is updating our nuclear capabilities, will he be disposing of the outdated nukes as newer ones are created or will he be keeping both?

Hold on, I'll call and ask him now.

The point is US already spends a significant amount on simply maintaining the current level of warheads. Trump wants to greatly boost that number. The US nuclear arsenal needs modernization yes, but not more nukes. What's the point of having enough to destroy the world 20x over? Trump promised he'd reduce national debt when he's increasing spending all over the place while cutting taxes. It's a recipe for a financial disaster.
The debt will never be dealt with in a meaningful way (it can't be, and whatever politician that did it would be committing career suicide) and the era of conservatism where they at least pretended to is gone in my opinion. It is my opinion that that Trump didn't know what he was talking about or blatantly lied to appeal to old fashion conservatives.

There is a school of economics (Austrian) that points to the currency has to collapse and the economy will have to be built from the ground up again (makes most sense to me). Keynesian economics doesn't apply this logic. I don't know enough to even pretend to know what will happen, but both sides swear the other is going to spell certain doom (from my understanding).

As for economic issues, do your own research, I don't know shit. But this is what I've been able to gather.

Yes. Expanding the arsenal and it's technological capabilities.

That sounds like two different things. But it's not unusual for Trump to lack details.

Mr Trump has offered no further details on his plans but he has hinted in the past that he favoured an expansion of the nuclear programme.

That sounds like two different things. But it's not unusual for Trump to lack details.

They go together like peas and carrots. You don't upgrade one part and leave the other ancient. I mean, coming from a technical standpoint, that makes no sense.

They go together like peas and carrots. You don't upgrade one part and leave the other ancient. I mean, coming from a technical standpoint, that makes no sense.

So now you're saying he does intend to increase the number of nukes and not just spruce up the existing ones?

We're about to enter a real bizarro world on nukes/Russia. While simultaneously praising Russia, we're entering another nuclear arms race against them. I assume there will be this weird transition where Russia is still the good guy and right about everything, but also such a threat and an enemy that we need to ramp up. And people in the WR will pretend to know way more about nukes than they do.

Back