Dong Hyun Kim vs Colby Covington?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who do you think will win this fight?

I know that Covington pushes a high pace with grinding wrestling; against the cage and controlling from the top. However, in his last fight with Barberena, he couldn't really do anything when Barberena was on his back - Barberena continuously got right back to his feet and mounted to real offense in the entire fight.

He is mainly untested against higher ranked competition - although he fought Alves and got submitted. Other than that slip up, he has really beaten everyone he has faced without much problem (excluding Barberena.)

Now we have Dong Hyun Kim, he won a very unimpressive and boring fight vs Saffiedine, however Dong presents a new challenge against Colvington: he can wrestle. Not just wrestle, but he has very high level wrestling and grappling technique in the WW division. I really don't believe Covington will get DHK down much at all here; whereas I do see DHK getting Covington down - many fighters have tried to wrestle DHK and failed.

While DHK has lost to the very best of the division, he has beat very able grapplers and wrestlers such as: Pierson, Diaz, Thiago, Hathaway and Burkman. Who are obviously not title contenders, but they are very experienced and good fighters. But DHK has out grappled every one of those, especially Thiago - which is a very good win.

If I recall correctly, Covington isn't very good on the feet when it comes to striking, but neither is DHK; although he does carry power.

Who do you think will win?

I like this match-up. Hope both make it an exciting fight. Going with Kim by decision.

Think this Covington is just some no-name that they're using to rebuild Kim. I've seen him fight and he's not very good at all. Should be a walk in the park for Kim.

Think this Covington is just some no-name that they're using to rebuild Kim. I've seen him fight and he's not very good at all. Should be a walk in the park for Kim.

What you did there

I see it

And I like it

I find these kinds of fights very interesting and a huge part of why I love MMA. Colby has very strong wrestling credentials, was probably one of the better 160-170 pound wrestlers in the country at his best. He has translated that wrestling to MMA very nicely and has all of the attributes youd expect (strong clinch game, heavy on top, scores points with TDs, etc). However, DHK is really big for the division, a veteran fighter, and has very high level wrestling/judo himself. I think Colby is probably a little better in that realm but DHK bc DHK is so well versed at executing in MMA, its a super close fight on paper. Im leaning towards the younger newer fighter taking a close decision.

Colby is a good fighter, he's not a can as the other guys suggested, actually.
I'm fairly certain though that Dong Hyun Kim gets through him, the UFC seems to be confident aswell.

I can never keep Colby Covington, Drew Dober, Clay Collard, etc, straight in my head

$

$

$

just me?

I think Kim takes it. Hope he does. More interesting to have wildcard guys like the Dong higher in the rankings than a vanilla bean crew-cut scowler like Colby. I remember being bummed when he decisioned Pyle

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Colby Covington sounds like a girls name?

I find these kinds of fights very interesting and a huge part of why I love MMA. Colby has very strong wrestling credentials, was probably one of the better 160-170 pound wrestlers in the country at his best. He has translated that wrestling to MMA very nicely and has all of the attributes youd expect (strong clinch game, heavy on top, scores points with TDs, etc). However, DHK is really big for the division, a veteran fighter, and has very high level wrestling/judo himself. I think Colby is probably a little better in that realm but DHK bc DHK is so well versed at executing in MMA, its a super close fight on paper. Im leaning towards the younger newer fighter taking a close decision.
It could be a really fun fight with many scrambles to get top control (which DHK will probably win). I like Colby, but I see his only way of winning is to wrestle DHK, which I have a hard time seeing. He isn't stronger than DHK, or faster; however DHK will have to get older some time. I think DHK will get top position and end it pretty quickly; by sub or tko. Although DHK doesn't have the wrestling credentials; he can hang with the best wrestlers in his UFC weight class. Of course I would pick Woodley, Hendricks and Colvington to beat him in wrestling: but this is mma!

i just want dong to go back to fighting smart and use his grappling.

his top game is suffocating and heavy as fuck.

if he just fights smart i think he's a top 5 guy.

It could be a really fun fight with many scrambles to get top control (which DHK will probably win). I like Colby, but I see his only way of winning is to wrestle DHK, which I have a hard time seeing. He isn't stronger than DHK, or faster; however DHK will have to get older some time. I think DHK will get top position and end it pretty quickly; by sub or tko. Although DHK doesn't have the wrestling credentials; he can hang with the best wrestlers in his UFC weight class. Of course I would pick Woodley, Hendricks and Colvington to beat him in wrestling: but this is mma!
I give Colby the edge bc he is most likely still getting better and DHK is either plateaued (admittedly at a very high level) or maybe declining a little bit. With his size and judo background DHK has certainly developed an outstanding wrestling attack in MMA, no question. Regardless of who wins, I absolutely love style match ups between 2 fighters who come from related/similar backgrounds, ie wrestling vs judo, boxing vs muay thai, bjj vs sambo, etc.

I can never keep Colby Covington, Drew Dober, Clay Collard, etc, straight in my head

$

$

$

just me?

I think Kim takes it. Hope he does. More interesting to have wildcard guys like the Dong higher in the rankings than a vanilla bean crew-cut scowler like Colby. I remember being bummed when he decisioned Pyle
cartons_rich-creamy_vanilla.jpg

Back