Dong Hyun Kim - "I wanted a fighter with more name value than Siyar Bahadurzada."

Hufusopem

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
On how he feels about facing Siyar Bahadurzada.

I fought over ten times in the UFC so I am pretty indifferent to who my opponent is. But still I want to have a fight that will get the fans excited. Siyar Bahadurzada seems to have a good record but there isn’t much tape on him, but I will be careful because I heard he is a striker. I’m a bit disappointed I couldn’t find a tape of Siyar in a grueling grappling type fight. Because so many people think I will win easily I have to be extra careful not to underestimate him.

How he felt about being offered Siyar Bahadurzada.

I didn’t expect to be offered Siyar Bahadurzada. I wanted a fight with a more experienced fighter with name value. My opponent definitely knows I will try to time his strikes with takedowns so I believe I have to change my style in this fight. I can’t be caught off guard by Siyar’s feints. Actually I plan on doing the reverse and striking with him. If I fight like I did against Paulo Thiago I might lose. I am planning a good strategy for Siyar.

How he feels about fighting in Japan.

The flight to Japan is really short so I am happy about that. I have fought in Japan a lot of times so I have no problems with the food or transportation. I also know some basic Japanese. But the most important thing is when the fights will take place. If it is at night, my conditioning will be even better than at Macau. The Stungun might even come back(laughs).

How his conditioning will be.

I went to the UFC event in Japan last time and some of the undercard fighters were fighting at around 5 in the morning. If Kang Kyung Ho is in the undercard I will have to follow him to his fight. If I don’t, I won’t be able to check the cage. I think the cage check is extremely important.

If that happens it will be pretty bad for my conditioning. I need at least 12 hours of being awake before I fight. It’s just wrong to have to wake up at 1-2 in the morning and go fight right after opening your eyes. Also it will be really hard to recover fully from the weight cut within that span of time.

His strategy for beating Siyar Bahadurzada.

I will pick a basic strategy after talking it over with my coach. Also I am really confident because my teammate Bae Myung Ho can imitate almost every fighter perfectly. He is better than the majority of UFC fighters and Japanese fighters. He is a great deal better than Paulo Thiago. He knows me very well so it is hard for me to take him down or submit him in sparring.

Last edited:
Siyar-Bahadurzada-KO.gif

still don't understand why he went to stand over his thiago like that.

still don't understand why he went to stand over his thiago like that.

I think he wanted to taunt him but half way he realized that is disrespectful so he decided to stop and check on thiago instead.

Thanks Hufu! Glad to hear direct insights from the Dong about his opponent and that he is taking a a different approach with this fight by planning on trading with Siyar, standing up. Now that's what I wanted to see and hear!

BTW, when is Bae Myung Ho coming into the UFC? I know he was offered to come in but he had contractual agreements with Legends?

DHK really wants to fight in Japan huh.
But this fight really means nothing for him.

I am not quite sold on Dong.... His biggest win is paulo thiago and pretty much every named WW fighter he fought, he came up short of a win. I would say that Siyar is a good person for him to fight/wrestle.

I don't know why fighters think they are entitled to more than they earned. They just beat the same guy, one is coming off a lose and the other a winning streak. It makes perfect sense to put these two together.

Remember when Jardine made a fuss about having to fight large head? Clearly he wasnt ready for a title shot... He never recovered from that lose. Fight who they put in front of you and prove that you are champion material. Don't get me wrong I enjoy Kim's fights and realize he didn't say as much about it but every fighter can end any fight they are in.

Kinda like Bisping, if he would of beat Sonnen then he would have his shot but he didn't and currently has a one fight win streak.

Siyar vs dhk is a fucking terrible fight. Dhk vs Hathaway and siyar vs Alves make way more sense.

Thanks Hufu! Glad to hear direct insights from the Dong about his opponent and that he is taking a a different approach with this fight by planning on trading with Siyar, standing up. Now that's what I wanted to see and hear!

BTW, when is Bae Myung Ho coming into the UFC? I know he was offered to come in but he had contractual agreements with Legends?

yeah he was slated to fight at Macau, but Legend FC said No. hes probably their most popular fighter so I'm not surprised.

he will be in the UFC soon enough though.

People saying that Stun Gun will take Siyar down at will en route to a decision are counting Siyar out the way they did Condit. I know Condit's a completely different fighter but that means you shouldn't count out Siyar. Siyar's a beast w/ KO power. DHK has had his chances to make it to the top & it doesn't help that he grinds decisions to get there, it's time to make room in the WW division starting w/ Siyar.

a rematch vs condit would have been cool, but somewhat impractical right now. macdonald is someone who's at a similar place right now in terms of ranking, but unfortunately the ufc and condit were falling all over themselves trying to make that rematch (like they couldn't do it some time down the line when rory and condit were a little closer in ranking).

Back