DONE WRONG PADS WILL CAUSE WRIST, SHOULDER & ELBOW INJURIES!

i can relate to that Tim. Injured my elbow a couple of times hitting pads, but mainly because the pad holder has weak ass wrists, so I’m punching straight through and over stretching. It’s a recurring injury as well that I’ve had for about 10 years

Tried to get a friend hold mitts for me and jacked up my wrist the wa they do it. Thanks tim

i can relate to that Tim. Injured my elbow a couple of times hitting pads, but mainly because the pad holder has weak ass wrists, so I’m punching straight through and over stretching. It’s a recurring injury as well that I’ve had for about 10 years
sounds like a very shitty pad holder, lol

sounds like a very shitty pad holder, lol

Ah tell me about it. Both my elbows are fucked. Can’t spar anymore, or hold pads for anyone that hits harder than a little girl. Hitting the heavy bag is pretty much my limit now. Knees are fucked from kickboxing, got problems with both biceps due to boxing. I am literally falling apart, and spending about £1,500 + a year on various treatments to keep me training

the real problem is I am too old to still be doing this shit!

Last edited:
Ah tell me about it. Both my elbows are fucked. Can’t spar anymore, or hold pads for anyone that hits harder than a little girl. Hitting the heavy bag is pretty much my limit now. Knees are fucked from kickboxing, got problems with both biceps due to boxing. I am literally falling apart, and spending about £1,500 + a year on various treatments to keep me training

the real problem is I am too old to still be doing this shit!

I got a bad left elbow from hitting a heavy bag denser than my usual ones after some bad rounds of sparring. True to form, after the awful sparring, I went right back to work trying to work harder and not smarter. Threw ONE left hook with my elbow a little low and all the energy transfer was absorbed through the otherwise good elbow. Instantly felt a surge of pain. It was a chore to lift with it for about 4 months. Obviously, being a dumb moron, I continued to train and spar. About 7 months or so later, I got my fight scheduled, and won, knocking him down in the first round, having a good second, and a third where I was worried about getting tired so I kept saving up my energy for basically nothing. For years after, I kept having problems with that elbow.

I'm saying all this stuff because I am probably healed about 90%, which is up from 70% that I've had since 2016 after my match. I went to work at my parents house this past summer, stopped all training and exercises like chin ups, and the honest day's labour each day, 7 days a week for about 5 weeks had this recuperative effect. It wasn't dull intensity, muscle specific. It was just outdoor work and renovations at my own speed.

I was surprised how much natural work, regularly, at a brisk--not excessive--pace kind of worked my body overall into a state of reasonable toughness.

I guess what I'm saying is that worked for me might work for others. You can love training, but the training won't love you back. I learned that the hard way. I'll never block a right hand the way I used to. But you can love yourself back and build a healthy body in the long run. Maybe take a break and let your body realign. I noentrain 1 or 2 times a week. Shadow boxing once, and/or heavy bag once.

This should be in the stand up forum, not here.

Who the hell are you to talk to a world class fighter like that? Have some humility. What's the hardest thing you ever did? Have a rough go at your shitty 9 to 5 job? Clap clap. What have you done with your life? Probably get rejected by every woman you've ever seen.

This is a boxing forum and a video on boxing belongs as much here as it does in stand up. You might actually understand the sport better because of these videos.

Be thankful Tim is even here.

Who the hell are you to talk to a world class fighter like that? Have some humility. What's the hardest thing you ever did? Have a rough go at your shitty 9 to 5 job? Clap clap. What have you done with your life? Probably get rejected by every woman you've ever seen.

This is a boxing forum and a video on boxing belongs as much here as it does in stand up. You might actually understand the sport better because of these videos.

Be thankful Tim is even here.

1. I talk to people the same whoever they are.
2. I didn't say anything bad to him, just that the post which was in the Kickboxing & Muay Thai forum to start with didn't belong there.
3. You don't know shit about who I am or what I've done in my life so save your assumptions based on your own miserable life to yourself, you little fan boy.

I got a bad left elbow from hitting a heavy bag denser than my usual ones after some bad rounds of sparring. True to form, after the awful sparring, I went right back to work trying to work harder and not smarter. Threw ONE left hook with my elbow a little low and all the energy transfer was absorbed through the otherwise good elbow. Instantly felt a surge of pain. It was a chore to lift with it for about 4 months. Obviously, being a dumb moron, I continued to train and spar. About 7 months or so later, I got my fight scheduled, and won, knocking him down in the first round, having a good second, and a third where I was worried about getting tired so I kept saving up my energy for basically nothing. For years after, I kept having problems with that elbow.

I'm saying all this stuff because I am probably healed about 90%, which is up from 70% that I've had since 2016 after my match. I went to work at my parents house this past summer, stopped all training and exercises like chin ups, and the honest day's labour each day, 7 days a week for about 5 weeks had this recuperative effect. It wasn't dull intensity, muscle specific. It was just outdoor work and renovations at my own speed.

I was surprised how much natural work, regularly, at a brisk--not excessive--pace kind of worked my body overall into a state of reasonable toughness.

I guess what I'm saying is that worked for me might work for others. You can love training, but the training won't love you back. I learned that the hard way. I'll never block a right hand the way I used to. But you can love yourself back and build a healthy body in the long run. Maybe take a break and let your body realign. I noentrain 1 or 2 times a week. Shadow boxing once, and/or heavy bag once.

Cheers dude, really good post and this all seems like very good advice that I will take on board.

I know my limitations now due to my age (47) and long standing injuries, but my issues with my biceps and forearm muscles are absolutely down to over training and hitting too hard with bent arm punches. I need to pull my shots a bit to avoid more injury. I was spending 90 mins, 5 times a week on the bag , which is too much. I’ve cut that down now, and seeing a physio who has advised much the same as you. Sparring and pad work is out because of my elbows. My problem with sparring is I can’t block or parry, because that is what flairs up my injuries. And over reaching. But i can still train regularly if I’m sensible and stick to my limitations. That’s Easier said than done though

Last edited:
Cheers dude, really good post and this all seems like very good advice that I will take on board.

I know my limitations now due to my age (47) and long standing injuries, but my issues with my biceps and forearm muscles are absolutely down to over training and hitting too hard with bent arm punches. I need to pull my shots a bit to avoid more injury. I was spending 90 mins, 5 times a week on the bag , which is too much. I’ve cut that down now, and seeing a physio who has advised much the same as you. Sparring and pad work is out because of my elbows. My problem with sparring is I can’t block or parry, because that is what flairs up my injuries. And over reaching. But i can still train regularly if I’m sensible and stick to my limitations. That’s Easier said than done though

Yup. I hear you bud. More rest days, AND, in the spirit of more unsolicited advice: shadowbox. Put on an old HBO fight. Shadowbox for 3 mins, take the minute when they rest at the bell. Do that for 6 or 7 rounds and you have something to watch while working on movement. You can focus technique, or focus on cardio. Low impact, plus will get you used to full extension to correct bent elbows

If its tendonitis in the biceps/forearm/elbow thats bothering you do isometrics because they load the tendons in a way that helps align the fibers called collagem in your tendons and heal them. Also try collagen supplements paired with vitamin C about an hour before doing isometrics.
An hour before you work out, take 15-20g collagen/gelatin WITH 250mg Vitamin C-joshua naterman

The cool thing about isometrics is they not only help you repair the damages tendon fibers it also has a increbile pain relieving affect (which happens as you do the exercise).

https://stevenlow.org/overcoming-tendonitis/
I believe this page is the most comprehensive guide to fixing tendonitis on the internet. Its very dense with great info but if you dont want to get right into the practical info skip to section 5: corrective measures.

Of course if it isnt tendonitis these protocols wont be efective in fixing your joint pain.

Thats awesome that the manual labor helped heal your elbow. More movement in more directions is the key to healing injuries to the body. Babying the injury aint going to heal it will just delay you from reaggravating the issue but really your just pushing the issue further than the road until it comes back worse.

Thats awesome that the manual labor helped heal your elbow. More movement in more directions is the key to healing injuries to the body. Babying the injury aint going to heal it will just delay you from reaggravating the issue but really your just pushing the issue further than the road until it comes back worse.

I think part of it was that there was no real impact (hand tamper for a walkway, and hammering while putting up siding were about as bad as it got) and I could work at a steady pace. It really galvanized my earlier belief that natural movements make the best workouts in terms of low risk for injury

What brilliant advice!!!
I genuinely hate it when someone holding the pads slaps my glove, things is when your shots slip of the pad like in your video it may sound daft but I always end up apologising thinking it's was due to crap shot from myself but it isn't always the case. Atleast when someone just "holds" the pads you know if it was you and they can give you the proper feedback to explain what it is you've done wrong....im probably the only person who thinks this lol.

In regards to injury makes total sense your putting unnecessary resistance and stress on the elbow and shoulder! I'm 30 and my shoulders are knackerd from years of rugby, I used to struggle putting a t-shirt on without my left arm just dropping. The last thing I want to do is aggravate it even more.

Appreciate the advice @Tim Witherspoon

Back