Donald Trump Celebrates Leif Erickson Day

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was surprised that the White House officially recognized Leif Erickson Day. This is more of a quesiton thread than anything else. Did past President's acknowledge Leif's accomplishments as the European explorer to discover the Americas or is this a new thing?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-leif-erikson-day-2019/

On Leif Erikson Day, we honor the spirit of exploration, courage, and faith that led this legendary Viking and his crew to sail across the Atlantic in search of new lands and opportunities more than a thousand years ago. His dream — to venture beyond the known horizon and redefine the impossible ‑- still defines and inspires Americans today.

Leif Erikson’s undaunted life of exploration began in Iceland — the same location where the Apollo 11 crew trained for its historic journey to the surface of the Moon. The bold spirit that propelled Erikson and his fellow mariners across an unknown ocean is the same spirit that carried our brave astronauts into space 50 years ago, and it is what continues to fuel our desire to unlock the mysteries of the universe and pursue the exploration of Mars.

Americans share strong bonds with the homelands of the Vikings. Millions of Americans proudly trace their ancestry to Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. All of these nations help keep our transatlantic community strong. They stand shoulder to shoulder with us as North Atlantic Treaty Organization Allies or partners to enhance regional peace and stability. And as members of the Arctic Council, we work together to promote sustainable growth, scientific research, and environmental protection in the High North while maintaining the region as an area of low tensions.

Nordic Americans contribute each day to the rich tapestry of our country by their self-reliance, drive, spirit of adventure, and cultural traditions. On this day, we pay tribute to the remarkable achievements of Leif Erikson, and we celebrate the daring dreams, big vision, and passion for discovery of all people of Scandinavian heritage.

To honor Leif Erikson, son of Iceland and grandson of Norway, and to celebrate our Nordic-American heritage, the Congress, by joint resolution (Public Law 88-566) approved on September 2, 1964, has authorized the President of the United States to proclaim October 9 of each year as “Leif Erikson Day.”

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim October 9, 2019, as Leif Erikson Day. I call upon all Americans to celebrate the achievements and contributions of Nordic Americans to our Nation with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
eighth day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand nineteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-fourth.

DONALD J. TRUMP

Most people don't know that Leif Erikson was Republican.

It's not a bad writeup, and we could focus on it more. I wouldn't be against tying it together with Columbus day and giving it some pomp and circumstance.

Cant wait for liberals to start bitching about it.
I'm cooler with Lief Erickson than Columbus. At least Lief just kicked some rocks around and then went home instead of enslaving everyone he saw and starting a genocide.

But, the larger question is, why, in 2019, do we really need to commemorate the "discovery" of America?... Seriously, there were people here 24,000 years ago. We know this.

We should re-name Columbus Day "A Victoribus Historia Scribitur" Day.

That, at least, would be a more accurate rendering of our founding myth.

Last edited:
Well... learn something new everyday I guess...

I'm cooler with Lief Erickson than Columbus. At least Lief just kicked some rocks around and then went home instead of enslaving everyone he saw and starting a genocide.

But, the larger question is, why, in 2019, do we really need to commemorate the "discovery" of America?... Seriously, there were people here in 70,000 BC. We know this.

We should re-name Columbus Day "A Victoribus Historia Scribitur" Day.

That, at least, would be a more accurate rendering of our founding myth.

From the perspective of Europe Leif Erickson discovered America. And since America is a European descended country he discovered America as applied to our collective consciousnesses.

Well... learn something new everyday I guess...

57f2f329a83d7.image.jpg

Leif Erikson or Leif Ericson (c. 970 – c. 1020) was a Norse explorer from Iceland. He was the first known European to have set foot on continental North America, several centuries before Christopher Columbus. According to the Sagas of Icelanders, he established a Norse settlement at Vinland on the northern tip of Newfoundland in modern-day Canada.

Leif was the son of Erik the Red, the founder of the first Norse settlement in Greenland and of Thjodhild (Þjóðhildur), both of Norwegian origin. His place of birth is not known, but he is assumed to have been born in Iceland, which had recently been colonized by Norsemen mainly from Norway.

Leif's successful expedition in Vinland encouraged other Norsemen to also make the journey. The first apparent contact between the Norse and the indigenous people, who the Norse later referred to as skrælingjar, was made by his brother Thorvald, and resulted in hostilities and killing.

{<jordan}

Stories of Leif's journey to North America had a profound effect on the identity and self-perception of later Nordic Americans and Nordic immigrants to the United States. The first statue of Leif was erected in Boston in 1887 at the instigation of Eben Norton Horsford. A statue was also erected in Chicago in 1901, having been originally commissioned for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition to coincide with the arrival of the reconstructed Viking ship from Bergen, Norway.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

He's got a statue in North Dakota too.

Minot.jpg

It’s racist to celebrate the accomplishments of any white person. This is just more proof that Drunpf is 100% racist KKK member.

57f2f329a83d7.image.jpg

Leif Erikson or Leif Ericson (c. 970 – c. 1020) was a Norse explorer from Iceland. He was the first known European to have set foot on continental North America, several centuries before Christopher Columbus. According to the Sagas of Icelanders, he established a Norse settlement at Vinland on the northern tip of Newfoundland in modern-day Canada.

Leif was the son of Erik the Red, the founder of the first Norse settlement in Greenland and of Thjodhild (Þjóðhildur), both of Norwegian origin. His place of birth is not known, but he is assumed to have been born in Iceland, which had recently been colonized by Norsemen mainly from Norway.

Leif's successful expedition in Vinland encouraged other Norsemen to also make the journey. The first apparent contact between the Norse and the indigenous people, who the Norse later referred to as skrælingjar, was made by his brother Thorvald, and resulted in hostilities and killing.

{<jordan}

Stories of Leif's journey to North America had a profound effect on the identity and self-perception of later Nordic Americans and Nordic immigrants to the United States. The first statue of Leif was erected in Boston in 1887 at the instigation of Eben Norton Horsford. A statue was also erected in Chicago in 1901, having been originally commissioned for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition to coincide with the arrival of the reconstructed Viking ship from Bergen, Norway.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

He's got a statue in North Dakota too.

Minot.jpg

Oh, I know the man.

Just had no idea there was a LE day. Seems a bit silly.

From the perspective of Europe Leif Erickson discovered America. And since America is a European descended country he discovered America as applied to our collective consciousnesses.
Not really.

Comparatively few Europeans knew anything about Lief Erickson's "discovery." So, if you want to think about the "collective consciousness" of Europe, it more makes sense to keep the recognition on Columbus.

Also, I'm sure African Americans will be interested to learn that "America is a European descended country." The first African slave ship landed in Virginia in 1619, a good 200 years before the descendants of most of today's Irish, Italian, and Eastern European Americans.

Last edited:
It’s racist to celebrate the accomplishments of any white person. This is just more proof that Drunpf is 100% racist KKK member.

no, it’s the 200 other reasons. This one isn’t racist: wonder why he postponed putting Harriet Tubman on the currency though.

no, it’s the 200 other reasons. This one isn’t racist: wonder why he postponed putting Harriet Tubman on the currency though.

There is absolutely zero evidence of Trump being a racist. Harriet Tubman??? how about the fact that she wasn't ever a president, ever think of that???

There is absolutely zero evidence of Trump being a racist. Harriet Tubman??? how about the fact that she wasn't ever a president, ever think of that???

lol was Benjamin Franklin a president you half wit?

How about Alexander Hamilton? What President was he?

Shows the kind of person I’m dealing with here

Because Harriet Tubman wasn’t that important. She deserves a paragraph in the history book. She doesn’t belong on our currency.

Also, happy Leif Erikson Day.

Not really.

Comparatively few Europeans knew anything about Lief Erickson's "discovery." So, if you want to think about the "collective consciousness" of Europe, it more makes sense to keep the recognition on Columbus.

Also, I'm sure African Americans will be interested to learn that "America is a European descended country." The first African slave ship landed in what was to become America in 1619, a good 200 years before the descendants of most of today's Irish, Italian, and Eastern European Americans.
Good to see Project 1619 working as intended.

Back