Donald Cerrone Spent $20,000 on Training Camp

To me, this is where the opportunity to improve fighter compensation lies. Every fighter under contract with the UFC (or any major org for that matter) should be given an annual "training allowance" salary to help offset these kinds of costs, in addition to their fight purse; consider it a minimum wage. I'm not sure what the number should be, but it should be enough for a fighter to cover at least the bare bones training costs for 2-3 fights per year. Fighters who choose to spend more than that, of course, would be able to at their discretion.

Issue being that this is an individual contract employment. The UFC has no effective means of ensuring that this money is used for any intended purpose. Additionally, when is this fighter paid this amount? January? Only to be cut two days later due to an assault charge? Then what happens to that money?

Will never happen. The money must be laid out in the fight contract. Any advances must be negotiated there.

I really like Cowboy but I think Jury has what it takes to beat him. I guess we will find out.

What is he making per fight? Sounds like he would be screwed if he lost, cant imagine he would make much more than that

Don't care who wins, it will be good to see Jury forced to fight instead of pot shot.

Yeah sorry I explained more in my edited post.

dont be sorry, its your opinion and I respect it man. It remains a close fight and Jury looked solid so far, while Cowboy is known to look off every once in a while.

However, careful when to mention the Gomi win, ok it proves Jury has power cuz finishing Gomi is no small feat even though is chin is probably degrading at this point. But is outstriking Gomi in 2014 really that impressive? He looks so slow right now and with his weird stance...he gets hit a LOT, Vallie Flagg is no longer a UFC fighter and tagged Gomi a lot, and remember that not top 20 japanese grappler dude who had Gomi on queer street in round one? Oustriking Gomi is not that impressive nowadays imo.

he can still afford snowmobiles, fighter plane rides, and racing ferraris.

I'm pretty confident Jury will beat Cowboy, this same guy dominated Michael Johnson for 3 rounds and KOed Gomi.

Issue being that this is an individual contract employment. The UFC has no effective means of ensuring that this money is used for any intended purpose. Additionally, when is this fighter paid this amount? January? Only to be cut two days later due to an assault charge? Then what happens to that money?

Will never happen. The money must be laid out in the fight contract. Any advances must be negotiated there.

Very simplistic viewpoint, Dana. And I'm not talking some life-changing amount of money, where a fighter could just train all year and not fight.

It would be in the form of regularly scheduled paychecks spread over the course of the year, just like any employee's compensation. As long as you are under contract and available/training to fight, the fighter would receive their base "salary". Once you're cut, as in your example, the paychecks stop. Of course there is no way to police what the money is spent on, but that would pretty much be obvious come fight time, wouldn't it?

He's lying.

fry.jpg

Back