Donald Cerrone: Is he finally focused on the title?

I like Cerrone, but not against Pettis or Khabib, I would like to see him get a title shot, that is a big feat itself, I don't think even Woodley will get one in the future, I hope Cerrone takes this seriously.

Cowboy thrives on having a decent reach advantage. He runs into problems when he gets an opponent who is as long as he is and has effective punching (Nate Diaz fight) or outstanding kicking (Pettis fight). There aren't many of those guys at LW so Cowboy is very successful in his weight class. I don't see how he beats Anthony Pettis even though he probably has a longer reach. Just a bad style match up for him. If somebody else got the title somehow, Cowboy would have a decent chance to win the belt if he trains properly.

Cowboy thrives on having a decent reach advantage. He runs into problems when he gets an opponent who is as long as he is and has effective punching (Nate Diaz fight) or outstanding kicking (Pettis fight). There aren't many of those guys at LW so Cowboy is very successful in his weight class. I don't see how he beats Anthony Pettis even though he probably has a longer reach. Just a bad style match up for him. If somebody else got the title somehow, Cowboy would have a decent chance to win the belt if he trains properly.

If I'm looking at this objectively, this is probably what I'd consider the most accurate. I fully believe another Diaz fight would go completely different, it still rings true because of the first fight.

If I'm looking at this objectively, this is probably what I'd consider the most accurate. I fully believe another Diaz fight would go completely different, it still rings true because of the first fight.

The only reason a Diaz fight would go different is because Diaz is falling apart now.

The only reason a Diaz fight would go different is because Diaz is falling apart now.

Disagree. He let Nate, 100%, get in his head. He didn't fight his fight. He put Diaz on his ass like 6 times, refused to follow him down..remember Diaz "Let's not do that wrestling shit, let's just fight" and Cerrone allowed that to happen. He threw barely any leg kicks. He let Diaz dictate everything about that fight, wouldn't happen again even if they were the same fighters now, as they were then. That's obviously just my opinion, but it is just that...my opinion.

Short answer, yes.
Cerrone has reinvented himself, similar to Chris Lytle, but with more talent. He's always been a guy with heart and skills, but I think sometimes lacked confidence. Now he's getting it, and starting to realize he can impose his gameplan on almost anybody.
He probably can't beat Pettis, but I think on any given night he's a threat to any other LW. Pettis can and will lose, maybe to RDA or Khabib, and then, who knows, Cerrone might get his shot and win.
I don't care if he's ever the champ, though, as long as he keeps fighting.

I think Cerrone is actually better waiting for a title shot. If he beats Jury then takes 1 more fight against a top contender there's a chance Pettis may lose the belt by that time (probably to Kabib more so than RDA). Even though it would be a tough contest, a title shot against Kabib would be better than Pettis. He would be making a bad move to get a title shot in 2015 IMO

he does not want to be champ as bad as Jury does thats for sure

Donald%2BCerrone%2BBrutally%2BKicks%2BMyles%2BJury%2BUFC%2B182.gif

He just tweeted about a meeting with Dana for another fight, i think he's just trying to stay busy and focusing on making money.

**Is cutting weight twice in a few weeks bad for him? It might be, but once again Cowboy didn't seem to really care:**

"I don't have an answer for you on that one," Cerrone replied, chuckling again. "[That's] probably damaging, for sure. But so is cocaine and alcohol, so I think this is a little less.

"I guess I could sit back like every other fighter and sit and wait. But I'm not every other fighter," Cerrone added. "I'm my own guy, and I don't give a s**t. Bring these fights on, you know? Like I said, if I'm going to be the champ, I've got to beat everyone anyways, so what is sitting and waiting and holding my position do?

"It's not like I just say that, and when it comes to me, I tell my friends, 'oh man, I've got to take this fight because everyone expects me to.' No. When they offered it to me, it was like, yeah, absolutely, let's go. There's no name that comes across the table that I'm like, ‘oh damn, I'm can't take that.' No, let's go. Let's fight. It's what we do. It's what I'm paid to do. It's my job."

From Cerrone, on Benson Henderson

"Dude held the title. He's one of the best out there, man. That's for goddamn sure," Cerrone said. "It's not like I'm taking a filler fight against some bottom-25 guy. This is one of the top guys, and I know that full-well going into it. I'm super excited. If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. The only problem is if I goddamn get that belt, who's going to be left to fight? That's what I want to know."
Kind of looking like he is getting pretty serious about it, even though this isn't the easiest route

What's crazy is that he's winning these fights with virtually one camp between 2-3 fights. He's reminding me more and more of a sports team catching fire at just the right time. The momentum he has should make him a tough fight for Bendo. If Cowboy wins they should make the title fight as fast as possible while Khabib is still healing.

Cerrone with a month or two training camp could be a good rematch with Pettis.

If Cerrone can get the belt more power to him. He'd be an active champ which is what we need. However, I don't see him ever getting through Pettis.

What's crazy is that he's winning these fights with virtually one camp between 2-3 fights. He's reminding me more and more of a sports team catching fire at just the right time. The momentum he has should make him a tough fight for Bendo. If Cowboy wins they should make the title fight as fast as possible while Khabib is still healing.

Cerrone with a month or two training camp could be a good rematch with Pettis.

I totally agree with you there, hard to stop that momentum

Back