Donald Cerrone: Is he finally focused on the title?

MarkyMcFly

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
According to him, Greg Jackson, and Winklejohn, Donald Cerrone is finally serious about going and getting the title. He still enjoys those pay checks, but he's got loftier goals in mind now.

Excerpt from interview with Jackson and Winklejohn re: Donald Cerrone

"What he tells me is: ‘I'm tired of messing around, coach. I'm going after that title.' And that means he's figured it out. He's turned his corner, and I think that's really important," says Cerrone's head trainer Greg Jackson.

"I've known him since he was a kid, since he came here eight, nine years ago. So I see a shift in him. And it's time. That's what I always say, Donald's turned his corner. His mentality is different. It's the first time I've ever heard him say, ‘I really want that belt. I'm going after this thing.' Like, I've never heard him say that. Usually it's like, ‘I don't care who I fight and what I do.' But I just see a focus shift in him."

Jackson isn't alone in his observations.

"He finally knows what he wants," says fellow coach Mike Winkeljohn. "It took us a long time to figure out that what Donald needs is just to be himself and enjoy life, and when he's calm that way, he goes into a fight much more focused. So this one definitely is different. I think he's making a title run right now. He's going to do it this time. He's one of the most athletic guys in our gym and people haven't even seen that in his fights yet."

"Now [he] understands that: ‘okay, I can compete with these guys. My biggest opponent is certainly myself, and if I'm on, then I'm very hard to stop.' I think that was a big epiphany for him," adds Jackson. "Hanging out with Kevin Harvick, too, the race care driver, seeing him win, Cowboy's like ‘well he's winning and he's kinda my best friend. I should be winning a title, too.'"

I really think the RDA fight made him turn a corner. He lost that fight, obviously. He showed heart, didn't fold and (in my opinion) dominated the 3rd round. Somehow the judges apparently gave the unanimous nod to RDA but I just don't see how that's plausible *********.

Fightmetric

Round 3

RDA 7 of 32 for 21% accuracy and 0 for 3 on takedowns

Cerrone 19 for 40, 47% accuracy, no takedowns attempted.

He landed almost 3 times the strikes with more than twice the accuracy and stuffed three takedowns.

That's a win for that round in my book.

Either way, I think he showed in that fight that...even in those big moments, he isn't folding. He may not have won that fight, but he definitely didn't "choke" and gave it his all in that third round, that was too little too late.

My question to you...do you honestly think this is a different Cerrone? I do. I'm a fan though, so i'm supposed to think that. What about you?

********EDIT

That's absolutely plausible. Got in rant mode, and made an ass of myself with that statement lol

Last edited:
Cerrone is in a wierd spot. With losses to the top dogs at LW.

He never shoulda called out Pettis before they fought.

Focus all he wants he had absolutely nothing for Pettis that first fight and while he has improved , so has Anthony , don't see him Beating Pettis, he probably gets Khabib next , well depending on how quickly Khabib heals

I think he is just focused on making money and not blowing it this time.

And no i dont see the difference. He still gets effed up in the first round all the time if his opponent is a good puncher. If he fights in the first round like he fights in the second, then yeah hes a contender

I love Cowboy, but he's not gonna beat Pettis or Khabib.

Shame, since I'd love to see such an active champion.

No. Why bother with the title when you got a good thing going putting a ton of cash in your pocket and being a fan favorite. Cowboy has found his niche and it is working for him.

Cerrone is in a wierd spot. With losses to the top dogs at LW.

He never shoulda called out Pettis before they fought.

Focus all he wants he had absolutely nothing for Pettis that first fight and while he has improved , so has Anthony , don't see him Beating Pettis, he probably gets Khabib next , well depending on how quickly Khabib heals

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/cowboy-cerrone-to-anthony-pettis-i-ll-see-you-again-122414

He ain't backing off either. Another fight, I fully believe, wouldn't go like the first fight. Pettis is the best in that division, hands down. I'm not saying Cerrone is gonna whoop his ass, but I am saying that Pettis aint finishing him in the first round like that again lol

I love Cowboy, but he's not gonna beat Pettis or Khabib.

Shame, since I'd love to see such an active champion.

I'd bet on Cowboy vs. Khabib. Cerrone would be a big underdog and I believe that's money to be made. Khabib could wrestlefuck him, but that hasn't happened to Cerrone, literally, ever. Now, he may not have faced a wrestler of Khabib's talent, but Cerrone is far from a slouch off his back.

Pettis. Well, I'd be nervous as hell going into another Pettis fight

No. Why bother with the title when you got a good thing going putting a ton of cash in your pocket and being a fan favorite. Cowboy has found his niche and it is working for him.

Not that I disagree with you at all, but look at Pettis..

Dudes on a Wheaties box.

The title will always equal more money and more fans.

Saying he wasn't focused in the past is a cop out. That being said, this is probably the best Cerrone that we've seen. I still think he loses to Pettis, Bendo, RDA, and Melendez would be a close fight, but I could see him possibly beating Melendez with the same game plan he used against Alvarez.

According to him, Greg Jackson, and Winklejohn, Donald Cerrone is finally serious about going and getting the title. He still enjoys those pay checks, but he's got loftier goals in mind now.

Excerpt from interview with Jackson and Winklejohn re: Donald Cerrone

"What he tells me is:

Cerrone has no chance in this day and age to become a champ at lw. With guys like Khabib, Pettis, RDA and Bendo around there is only so far he can go.

I hope so. I love Cowboy. The dude will fight anyone, and he's entertaining as fuck to watch.

You don't see how it's plausible that all three judges scored the first two rounds for RDA which he obviously won, and the last for Cerrone, giving RDA a unanimous decision? Seems clear as day that every judge scored the fight the right way, which was 29-28 for RDA. Any judge scoring that fight for Cerrone would be pretty ridiculous, if anything.

But yes, Cerrone is focused more than ever, he just probably doesn't quite have the ability and skill to beat the top 3-4 guys at that weight. He's a threat to anybody else, but he probably never beats Pettis, Khabib, RDA, or, as we've seen, Bendo. Nate Diaz probably beats him most of the time too, as does Gilbert Melendez. He's a very tough guy, but probably not quite championship material. Although he does have the power to make it interesting against anybody that's for sure.

Ah shit....I totally worded that completely wrong, while in the middle of the rant. I was on my soap box, and in my head "unanimous" turned into "won every round"...dumb ass mistake.

I think Cerrone has a chance, and not exactly a bad chance either, of beating Khabib, RDA (again he dominated the third round and was just barely outstruck in the first two rounds, just lost the takedowns) and he almost beat Bendo the first time they fought and could probably do well in a third fight. Diaz isn't the same Diaz and Cerrone isn't the same Cerrone...you couldn't convince me that Diaz would beat Cerrone again. Gil is a toss up for me, though.

Yeah but cowboy can't beat him. Pettis is too good now.

Oh, I wasn't proclaiming that Cerrone would beat him. Just that, if money is your number one motivator, no better way to get more of it than becoming the champion.

He's about the same as always. A really good fighter who is one punch or takedown away from having to work his way back up.

He's always been focused on the title, but he loses to top of the food chain guys before he can get a shot at it.

Back