Don King presents: Prizefighter "review"

Well, like I said in the other thread the game isn't very polished, but no doubt it's the best boxing sim on the market right now. Fight Night was just not a sim approach to boxing at all. Try the game online, I've had some amazing battles against other people (fighting the AI is only so-so on PF).

Online though you have to stick and move, manage your stamina (meaning choosing your shots wisely), create angles, footwork, etc. The boxing is very true to the sport. Oh, also the kockdowns are so much more realistic online, it's not a knockdown fest like it is against the AI. Most fights go to the cards online, unless you're really ontop of your game you can score a KO.

If you're a hardcore fan of boxing and give the game a chance you should enjoy it.

A friend of mine pointed me to this review... seems interesting. This is a reader review, not a review by a website. (sorry for long post)

--------------------------------

I was not at all surprised to see the mediocre reviews that Prizefighter received from most gaming websites. I believe it has an average of 55/100 at ****critic. From the first time I saw actual gameplay footage I knew that Prizefighter will not be getting the accolades that Fight Night Round 3 received. While IGN and Gamespot are reputable websites that have given gamers tons of reliable information on hundreds of games in the past, when it comes to boxing, frankly they don't have a clue, not even that pudgy boxer dude from Gamespot. Finding knowledgeable boxing fans off the street is rare. It is even more rare in the videogame industry. With all due respect to the guys from various videogame websites, their opinions are not reliable when it comes to the sweet science. If you're looking for some insight from a real boxing enthusiast, you know, the type who'll stay up late at night watching nameless fighters go at it over at YouTube or watch some unknowns trade leather on Telemundo, then you've come to the right place.

I've barely scratched the surface on Prizefighter's career mode, but I've had a chance to fight in a dozen or so exhibition matches against the CPU. I'm only going to cover for now, the most important aspect of any boxing game, which of course is the boxing itself. Let me get this out of the way. The action in Prizefighter mimics the sport better than any boxing title before it, including the lesser known but highly regarded Victorious Boxers series, and yes, even Fight Night Round 3. That's not to say that Prizefighter is perfect, for it definitely has flaws. But the rhythym and pacing of Prizefighter is very realistic, and the flow of the matches emulate the sport quite accurately. The boxing mechanics are sound but are somewhat hampered by the extremely steep learning curve. My biggest problem is with the control scheme and I'm not talking about the use of the face buttons as opposed to the widely popular analog punching in the Fight Night franchise. The main problem with Prizefighter's controls is the body punch modifier, which is the right trigger. When used with the "step-in" modifier, which is the right bumper, it feels like you're pressing every single button on the controller, especially if you're adding yet another modifier that makes you "step around" with the punch by pushing up or down with the left analog stick. There's lots of modifiers but I think the only one that really causes issues is the right trigger. I prefer the body punching in FNR3, where you would naturally throw to the body when your fighter is leaning forward. It only makes sense and I wish that Prizefighter would have adopted this. There have many, many instances in Prizefighter where I intended to throw a body punch from the crouch position and would instead end up throwing an awkward punch to my opponent's head. The weird thing is that it seems like I AM able to throw a single left hook to the body from the crouch, but every other body punch requires the modifier. Another issue that just about every website agrees on is the unresponsiveness of the controls in Prizefighter. I don't particularly agree. What some would consider "unresponsiveness," I would call realistic. You see, people's problems with Prizefighter's punching system is the fact that the punches won't always be thrown at the same speed and intervals the buttons were pressed. Players tend to press the buttons rapidly and expect the combo to come out just as fast. That's simply not the case in real life. Regardless of how fast you want to punch, there are physical limitations. There is inertia and varying degrees of weight transfer associated with each punch thrown, and Prizefighter has implemented this aspect. Unfortunately, it is a subtle feature that will be interpreted by the large majority of gamers as "unresponsiveness." Also, there are some oddities and awkwardness to be found with certain punches and there are times when they don't seem to come out the way you expect them to, such as hooks to the body looking a bit straight-ish. The reactions to body punches look exaggerated sometimes, but these only happen when you are either hit with a modified version of the punch or you were interrupted in the middle of throwing a big punch yourself. This pretty much sums up the flaws in Prizefighter, and believe me, they are lot more minor than I might've made them sound. Oh yeah, Jim Lampley's commentating is robotic at times. It sounds lame when it is obvious that there is a seam between his phrase and the boxer's name he's talking about. Also, Emanuel Steward rarely says anything.

I'm not sure how game reviewers played Prizefighter, but I approached each fight as a real boxing match. I wasn't intent on spamming certain punches or looking to exploit the CPU. I just wanted a good ol' boxing match and fought in a realistic manner. What I got was my behind handed to me the first few times in exhibition mode. Heck I couldn't make it past the 2nd round in my first 3 or 4 fights! I've been on the losing end of several one-punch KO's where the ref didn't even bother counting. I've been beat down and stopped in the middle rounds. I've gone the full 12 rounds and lost by a unanimous decision. All I can say is that losing never felt this good! Winning feels much better, of course. I haven't had many victories, but the two that stick out in my mind are my 5-round demolition of Enzo Macaranelli (sp) playing as Steve Cunningham, and my devastating KO of Edison Miranda playing as Arthur Abraham in which I landed a crippling liver shot in the sixth round, immediately followed by a left uppercut to the chin, instantly ending the fight. If I could only use one word to describe the in-ring action in Prizefighter it would be, "involved." You are required to constantly move and defend. I'm not talking about running around the ring, but you cannot remain stationary. Otherwise you'll get pummeled. You have to box. You throw a couple of punches, step back or circle, block, lean, counter, throw a combo, etc. It sounds basic enough but you'd be surprised by how often you'll find yourself planted in one spot too long and start eating your opponent's combos. Also you'll find out that your opponent can reach you even when you think you're safely out of the way. You'll learn to always put your guard up and move your upperbody whenever you're not punching, or you'll be an easy target. It's funny when you realize how much other boxing games have influenced your fighting and how you would tend fight the way you're used to, at least during your first few matches. Eventually you'll start picking up the rhythm of Prizefighter and you'd be blocking, moving and countering more naturally. Matches will also begin to last longer as you learn to defend yourself better.

continued at:

IGN: Don King Presents: Prizefighter Reader Review by fighterforjc

This game has great presentation and really difficult for me, seeing as I know nothing of boxing I have a hard time trying to find flaws in my opponent to counter punch. Its not like fight night where your opponent drops his hands and is stunned after you block.

just picked it up, had a really hard time finding it for some reason.

There is a bit of a learning curve which adds alot of depth to the game. The harddest part is really just getting used to what buttons do what (bit of a change from fight night controlls).

TTT for a few questions.

So how was this game?

Most of the bad reviews were making comparisons to FN3.

How is it without comparing it to that game?

If you played it and had never played FN3, would you think it was a good game?

Here's the roster. A game where I can play as Andrew Golota has a definite upside.

But yeah I'm also interested in feedback, especially compared to FN3.

Heavyweight
Andrew Golota
Samuel Peter
Sergei Liakhovich
Shannon Briggs

Cruiserweight
Chad Dawson
Enzo Maccarinelli
O'Neil Bell
Steve Cunningham

Middleweight
Kelly Pavlik
Arthur Abraham
Daniel Santos
Edison Miranda
Joe Calzaghe
Ricardo Mayorga
Roman Karmazin
Roy Jones Jr

Welterweight
Andre Berto
Ivan Kirpa
Jose Luis Castillo
Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
Luis Collazo
Oscar De La Hoya

Lightweight
Joan Guzman
Joel Casamayor
Juan Diaz
Julio Diaz
Nate Campbell

Featherweight
Chris John
Daniel Ponce de Leon
Elio Rojas
Juan Manuel Marquez
Vic Darchinyan

Classic Boxers
Joe Louis
Ken Norton
Larry Holmes
Rocky Marciano
Floyd Patterson
Archie Moore
James Braddock
Max Baer
Chris Eubank
Nigel Benn

In retrospect, here are my thoughts on Prizefighter.

Despite the shake gameplay videos, I still bought this game on release day, just because I love boxing.

I was immediately disappointed, almost shell shocked when I first put the game in. It looked terrible, Mayorga looked like a crypt keeper, and the punches looked robotic, and everybody bounced around the rings like they were trapped in mud or something.

Yesterday, I popped this game in again.

And Mayorga still looks like a crypt keeper, as does everybody else.

The on screen action visually still looks like a terrible representation of boxing.

And everybody moves around in invisible mud.

Even so, there are plenty of lil nuances that I believe only a true boxing fan could appreciate. And there are many things this game did right, and many things that are absent from the fight night games.

You can fight on the outside, you can throw a stiff step in jab, that will keep your opponent from getting on the inside, even better, you can learn to win rounds just by using this jab.

You can kind of fight on the inside too, its interesting. You can walk your opponent down, and unleash combos on the inside.

Even so, this game is still a mess. And commits a lot of unforgivable mistakes. ie Read the instruction manual, they have a mini bio about every boxer in the game, and they mention Golota getting disqualified against Bowe, but they talk about it like it was unintentional, and they attributed his disqualification to 'bad luck'
If that doesnt trip you out, Samuel Peter has almost no power rating, instead his agility is his biggest weapon. Mayorga has a really low power rating. Calzaghe has low stats all around including a rediculously low stamina rating..

So my advice... rent this game.. there are some charming qualities to be found, but everything else is extremely sub par, almost embarrassing.

I was so excited for this game to come out but it turned out to be wack there is no doubt that Fight Night Round 3 is hands down the best boxing game ever. Hopefully The new one coming out will be better

I prefer Fight Night round 3 hands down, People who say you true Boxing fans prefer it are stupid because its not the actual gameplay that affects it, its the the control system. Fight Nights punches are easier to throw and better for true boxers as its how we react!
The main thing about it is dumbass controls make you have to think I want to throw a jab oh thats X. 2 Slow

I prefer the original punch out to FNR3.

Back