Don Frye almost went to WCW in 1997, but had "no personality"

I don't disagree with you but wasn't Eric a guy known for his ability to spot talent? There must have been something there that made him think this.

Or he just disliked Don for some reason and didn't want to have to work with him so he pulled a power move.
No Eric Bischoff wasn't. He basically inherited the company and had unlimited funding from TNT and Ted Turner.

Not to say he's an idiot but he isn't exactly the best judge of talent.

I didn't get the "no personality"
He had a perfect personality for it

Why would the big bad enforcer need any personality whatsoever? Besides, Mongo Mcmichael had a personality, and it was best described as "Moron who knows nothing about wrestling, and makes a ton of shitty anecdotes about playing football."

Fucking dog torturer
tumblr_oty3nfDmcn1sj4xr4o1_400.gif

I don't disagree with you but wasn't Eric a guy known for his ability to spot talent? There must have been something there that made him think this.

He got a lot of the younger talent from ECW, Japan & Mexico. But then he let them stagnate on the undercard refusing to give the talented up & coming wrestlers an opportunity to become stars which is why guys like Jericho, Benoit, Eddie etc all jumped ship to WWE. In all the time he was at WCW the only person he helped become a true star was Goldberg.

Just to clarify, this is the same Eric Bischoff who saw NOTHING in Steve Austin, claiming he didn't have the personality to become a star.

He actually said that austin could not get over because he was just a guy in black tights

then after Austin became a mega star, Bischoff had an idea ...

bill-goldberg.jpg

He was lucky to hire Hall & Nash who got really over & made Hulk join nWo & that is what WCW's legacy was.

He had Jericho, Austin, Benoit & others that he kept low on the totem pole

You still on moonspace at all?

Isn't that part of the reason that he rebranded himself as the whiskey drinking, gun loving Patriot? I thought I read something about that, Idk though. Either way you can't claim he lacked charisma when he entered PRIDE right after 9/11 (after a 4 year layoff from competition if I'm not mistaken). Genius marketing mixed with a certified bad ass! Don is the man!

I don’t think Don had that character 20 years ago.

WCW President Eric Bischof told a story on his podcast that he met with Don Frye to bring him into WCW, but felt Frye had no personality.
Ric Flair wanted Frye to be in a new version of the Four Horseman (replacing Steve McMichael - ex NFL player).
He would have been in a role he fits as the big scary enforcer type

He wound up going to NJPW later that year.
Bischof showing that judgement and acumen that ran WCW into the ground

He was lucky to hire Hall & Nash who got really over & made Hulk join nWo & that is what WCW's legacy was.

He had Jericho, Austin, Benoit & others that he kept low on the totem pole
Okay. For the record though Diesel was one of my favorites back in the day, lol. My little brother was the victim of many jackknife powerbombs, as was my first opponent in highschool wrestling ( I got disqualified and apparently lost for that one while the "winner" was rushed to the hospital by ambulance).

Okay. For the record though Diesel was one of my favorites back in the day, lol. My little brother was the victim of many jackknife powerbombs, as was my first opponent in highschool wrestling ( I got disqualified and apparently lost for that one while the "winner" was rushed to the hospital by ambulance).

Love it

I could see Frye being really awkward in a tryout for this position. In the world of wrestling, first impressions are everything. They probably just moved on right away, not like Frye was an international superstar or anything

Don't they have managers for issues like that?

Example: Heyman/Lesnar

He could have been like Brock and been with Heyman

How tall do you think they would have billed him, and what weight do you think he would have been given?

6’1” & 247lbs are his stats. Height would have needed to ba jacked up to 6’4” for wrestling imo and weight could be the same or just 265lbs. But I guess chyna was HHH’s and D Generations enforcer for a long time so stats couldn’t be too important, but she was a jacked woman.

I guess Frye would have been a Flair guy so maybe that didnt sit well with Eric?... Who wasnt the biggest Flair guy himself.
this is probably the truth of it, someone would have to be an idiot to not see the potential in Frye, who also had the look and size to go with it, why give a thorn in your side another big prick to get you with?

I would have to agree. Maybe he wasn't as good at pretending to be Don Frye as he was at being Don Frye, lol. His fireside chats showed that he can play a character infront of a camera though imo. Even if that character was just Don Frye.
I wonder what kind of character they wanted Frye to be. It was during the cringy period of pro-wrestling.

If Rick Rude wouldn't have died because of overdose and made a comeback, imagine the feud: "Stache vs Stache"

Back