Don Frye almost went to WCW in 1997, but had "no personality"

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
WCW President Eric Bischof told a story on his podcast that he met with Don Frye to bring him into WCW, but felt Frye had no personality.
Ric Flair wanted Frye to be in a new version of the Four Horseman (replacing Steve McMichael - ex NFL player).
He would have been in a role he fits as the big scary enforcer type

He wound up going to NJPW later that year.

WCW President Eric Bischof told a story on his podcast that he met with Don Frye to bring him into WCW, but felt Frye had no personality.
Ric Flair wanted Frye to be in a new version of the Four Horseman (replacing Steve McMichael - ex NFL player).

Cool, wonder how he would have done in American Pro Wrestling vs Japanese. If he signed with WCW though we may have never gotten Frye Takiama or Frye Shamrock though so probably a blessing in disguise.

He would have fit in that role for sure
Yeah based on the description I imagine it would have been right up his ally, lol. They could have taught him how to play it up to the camera over time and his voice is perfect for such a character so it could have worked out.

Isn't that part of the reason that he rebranded himself as the whiskey drinking, gun loving Patriot? I thought I read something about that, Idk though. Either way you can't claim he lacked charisma when he entered PRIDE right after 9/11 (after a 4 year layoff from competition if I'm not mistaken). Genius marketing mixed with a certified bad ass! Don is the man!

Yeah based on the description I imagine it would have been right up his ally, lol. They could have taught him how to play it up to the camera over time and his voice is perfect for such a character so it could have worked out.

I didn't get the "no personality"
He had a perfect personality for it

I would have to agree. Maybe he wasn't as good at pretending to be Don Frye as he was at being Don Frye, lol. His fireside chats showed that he can play a character infront of a camera though imo. Even if that character was just Don Frye.

I would have to agree. Maybe he wasn't as good at pretending to be Don Frye as he was at being Don Frye, lol. His fireside chats showed that he can play a character infront of a camera though imo. Even if that character was just Don Frye.

IDK
I think he would do great behind Flair who was a great talker
Flair could get him over, until he found his groove

Yeah, I always thought that Frye had personality. Whenever a thread pops up asking what fighter would you like to sit down at a bar and have a drink with, I answer Don Frye.

IDK
I think he would do great behind Flair who was a great talker
Flair could get him over, until he found his groove
I don't disagree with you but wasn't Eric a guy known for his ability to spot talent? There must have been something there that made him think this.

Or he just disliked Don for some reason and didn't want to have to work with him so he pulled a power move.

Yeah, I always thought that Frye had personality. Whenever a thread pops up asking what fighter would you like to sit down at a bar and have a drink with, I answer Don Frye.

That totally fits with Ric Flair too lol

Don definately looks like an enforcer. He's pretty mean looking. Glad he didn't go to wcw

I don't disagree with you but wasn't Eric a guy known for his ability to spot talent? There must have been something there that made him think this.

Or he just disliked Don for some reason and didn't want to have to work with him so he pulled a power move.

Eric is far from that IMO
Look at all the non talents he signed to stand behind the nWo

It seems like Eric thinks the over the top BS is personality

Eric is far from that IMO
Look at all the non talents he signed to stand behind the nWo

It seems like Eric thinks the over the top BS is personality
Fair enough. I stopped following seriously before he came around (early 90s) but that's what I gathered based on the things I've heard about him over the years but my knowledge is admittedly very limited.

I guess Frye would have been a Flair guy so maybe that didnt sit well with Eric?... Who wasnt the biggest Flair guy himself.

With a mustache like that, who needs personality?

Just to clarify, this is the same Eric Bischoff who saw NOTHING in Steve Austin, claiming he didn't have the personality to become a star.

Obviously I'm not saying Frye could have become anywhere near as big as Stone Cold, but a silent enforcer role would have been perfect for a badass like Frye whilst he learned his trade.

Fair enough. I stopped following seriously before he came around (early 90s) but that's what I gathered based on the things I've heard about him over the years but my knowledge is admittedly very limited.

He was lucky to hire Hall & Nash who got really over & made Hulk join nWo & that is what WCW's legacy was.

He had Jericho, Austin, Benoit & others that he kept low on the totem pole

Back