News Dominick Cruz requests to not have Keith Peterson referee UFC 259 fight

Should Fighters get to Influence Referee Selection?

• Total voters
Dom is always bitter about everything. I strongly dislike this guy, and his commentary is garbage.

8p9vkydii6y41.jpg

Wait, that can't be Peterson's real account. If it is, he shouldn't be reffing a fighter he has a public beef with.

I did laugh at that top tweet though.

anybody who thinks they should be able to select the ref is insane

It’s not like that shitshow Dean put on when Khabib beat Conor. This is just sad. It reminds me of Ladd going to the commision when GDR beat her. It’s really lame. Make a statement about it and move on. Or better yet say nothing at all.

I seriously doubt Keith Peterson would want to

I always thought this was possible without any issues? I remember Dana saying fighters can refuse certain refs in that famous Mazzegatti-rant.

Either way I'm with Cruz on this one. Refs have been extremely trigger-happy these past years cause Media went apeshit over some late-stoppages. You dont stop a championship fight when the challenger is getting back up to his feet with a few seconds in the round remaining. I see why Peterson stopped it cause he jumped right in when it looked like Cruz is out, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think they can deny it but they can request it with their reasons. What the commission does with it thereafter is up to them

It makes since and fighters should be able to have a ref they don’t want. There’s plenty of other refs.

lol can't believe cruz is still sticking to his dumbass excuse to blame the ref for being drunk
he got DESTROYED by the superior alpha male once in a lifetime athlete TRIPLE C and he should be thanking the ref for saving him from getting TRIPLE CTE'D

Oh FFS. That was literally the only significant mistake I remember Petersen ever making, and it was an understandable one. It sucked, and I’m a Cruz fan so I wasn’t super pleased, but shit happens. Petersen is a good ref, Dom needs to move the fuck on.

Totally agree on that. Also rooting for Dominick every fight but he should have not talked about that issue anymore or just go like "nothing left to say" or something.

Don't think they would have put Peterson up for his fight anyway.

Don’t know why anyone would be surprised Dom doesn’t want Cody No Love’s dad to ref his fight, the guy who gave him his first loss! All kidding aside tho, I make the “hey it’s Cody Garbrandt’s dad!” Joke every time Keith refs lol.

I think it's way more likely that fighters hold a grudge and the ref couldn't care less in the moment.

Selecting refs maybe could cause some celebrity status or something or maybe lead to questionable decisions, bribery or other unwanted nonsense. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

LAS VEGAS – On a number of levels, Dominick Cruz doesn’t want to repeat what happened the last time he stepped inside the UFC cage.

“I made the request, and you hope the commission can honor your request. But when it all comes down to it, they run things, right?” Cruz said at a pre-fight news conference Wednesday at the UFC Apex. “They have control over everything.”

View attachment 837695View attachment 837694

“(UFC vice president of regulatory affairs) Marc Ratner alluded he was able to make that possible for me,” Cruz said.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-referee-keither-peterson-not-officiate-fight

I don't think the "yes" votes should be split up IMO. One is just a more specific version of the other.

It should just be "yes" or "no", IMO.

Totally agree on that. Also rooting for Dominick every fight but he should have not talked about that issue anymore or just go like "nothing left to say" or something.

Don't think they would have put Peterson up for his fight anyway.
Probably not, but definitely Dom should be more professional and let it go.
This Saturday can’t get here soon enough though, we deserve a stacked card!
<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

Wasn’t even a bad stoppage

Cruz needs to realize no one cares about that stoppage anymore.

I think it’s happened before. DC said on his podcast that he requested Herb not ref the second Jones fight because he was letting Jones get away with holding his gloves in the first one

I don’t see anything wrong with requesting not to have a specific referee. The commission can consider it and deny it if they so choose, but no harm in merely requesting. If fighters were asking for specific referees to officiate their fights, that would be a very different story.

Back