News Dominick Cruz requests to not have Keith Peterson referee UFC 259 fight

Should Fighters get to Influence Referee Selection?

• Total voters
If the commission take the fighters word it shows a lack of faith in the officiating and objectivity of Keith Peterson, are they to grant his request because he smelt of booze and cigs? He should be fired then if they go ahead with that based on 0 evidence.
He's either up to the job or not.
Some guys are much quicker to stop fights than others, that's for sure. Cruz is a bit of a douche, but if a guy feels a certain ref stops fights quickly I don't have an issue with them requesting someone else.

Let's be real a lot of refs are awful.

I don't think they should be able to choose the ref they want, but i don't see anything wrong with them requesting that a specific person doesn't ref(as long as they don't rule everyone out except one person)

Some guys are much quicker to stop fights than others, that's for sure. Cruz is a bit of a douche, but if a guy feels a certain ref stops fights quickly I don't have an issue with them requesting someone else.

Let's be real a lot of refs are awful.
I don't have an issue with the request, I just think it should be flat out answered with No in this circumstance.

Referee's a referee, he might get Herb Dean instead who is a way worse referee than Keith, I think Keith is the 2nd best.

I think if there's a history between the fighter and a ref it's better to just go with someone else going forward. I don't think fighters should be able to pick and choose though.

He should be front row with a drink and a smoke
Heckling Cruz all night

Both Jon Jones and Brock Lesner requested certain refs not work their fights. Brock didn't want Mazzagatti and Jones didn't want Big John in the DC fight. But Jones request was shot down. Its ultimately up to the local commission who assign the refs to the fights.

Dom is a bitter lonely person.
It's a dick move.
He already insulted Peterson by saying he was drunk on the job (and smoked what bad boy).

Dom is always bitter about everything. I strongly dislike this guy, and his commentary is garbage.

8p9vkydii6y41.jpg

I read these not too long ago and thought they were hilarious, especially if that is truly Keith's twitter.

Reactions: TCE
Usually isn't a huge deal if only 1 guy is making the request. Especially when its for a non main event fight. They have mutliple refs per event, I imagine they'll be able to shuffle it around to appease his request.

i hope comission says he is the assigned ref,take it or leave it

LAS VEGAS – On a number of levels, Dominick Cruz doesn’t want to repeat what happened the last time he stepped inside the UFC cage.

“I made the request, and you hope the commission can honor your request. But when it all comes down to it, they run things, right?” Cruz said at a pre-fight news conference Wednesday at the UFC Apex. “They have control over everything.”

View attachment 837695View attachment 837694

“(UFC vice president of regulatory affairs) Marc Ratner alluded he was able to make that possible for me,” Cruz said.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-referee-keither-peterson-not-officiate-fight

I actually think it would have been insane for them to match those two up again. There are plenty of refs, why create a story by placing a fighter with a ref he just talked shit on? It’s a no-win situation for the ref.

I voted yes, but what I really think should happen is that they should be smart about the assignments. Don’t put Herb Dean with Robbie Lawler. Don’t put this guy with Cruz. Etc.

Serious question that may solve all of this...

If you get knocked out, even if it's a flash KO, or even if you are damaged and a ref stops it...when you start to gain clarity does it smell like cigarettes and booze?

i can understand a bad decision but he got punched so many times and still look dazed badly after ref stopped

You don't get to pick your managers or bosses or supervisors at work, why should fighters?

Back