News Dominick Cruz requests to not have Keith Peterson referee UFC 259 fight

Should Fighters get to Influence Referee Selection?

• Total voters

Kryptt

⭍ Dead Belt⭍
Platinum Member
Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – On a number of levels, Dominick Cruz doesn’t want to repeat what happened the last time he stepped inside the UFC cage.

“I made the request, and you hope the commission can honor your request. But when it all comes down to it, they run things, right?” Cruz said at a pre-fight news conference Wednesday at the UFC Apex. “They have control over everything.”

upload_2021-3-3_19-4-32.pngupload_2021-3-3_19-4-8.png

“(UFC vice president of regulatory affairs) Marc Ratner alluded he was able to make that possible for me,” Cruz said.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-referee-keither-peterson-not-officiate-fight

I always thought this was possible without any issues? I remember Dana saying fighters can refuse certain refs in that famous Mazzegatti-rant.

Either way I'm with Cruz on this one. Refs have been extremely trigger-happy these past years cause Media went apeshit over some late-stoppages. You dont stop a championship fight when the challenger is getting back up to his feet with a few seconds in the round remaining. I see why Peterson stopped it cause he jumped right in when it looked like Cruz is out, but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, they should be able to request a specific ref not work their fight, if there have been past issues between the two. But no to being allowed to select which ref works their fight.

Also, did anyone else know Mazzagatti became a timekeeper?

I get where he's coming from, but I don't think you want to open this can of worms. What happens when someone requests a referee and that referee does some questionable shit that hurts the other fighter? It's going to look like a conflict of interest.

Oh FFS. That was literally the only significant mistake I remember Petersen ever making, and it was an understandable one. It sucked, and I’m a Cruz fan so I wasn’t super pleased, but shit happens. Petersen is a good ref, Dom needs to move the fuck on.

No but common sense should prevail, it should be preferable to not give him that Referee, but if it's the only practical way, then fuck Cruz he gets what he's given.

Get to pick your judges too? <puh-lease75>
I think that's a pretty different situation.

Yes, they should be able to request a specific ref not work their fight, if there have been past issues between the two. But no to being allowed to select which ref works their fight.

Also, did anyone else know Mazzagatti became a timekeeper?
Does he end rounds 45 seconds late?

Does this man have his ref license back yet?

juRWQKTH_400x400.jpg

He has officially lost all humility he may have ever had.

He’s certainly not the first to make a request like this. But I cannot think of any requests like this that were reasonable.

Oh well, Godspeed Mr Cruz. You’re going to need it this weekend.

There's few things I love more than seeing Cruz at this level of salt. He's such a prick. Couldn't have happened to better person. Thank you, Keith.

God I just LOVE IT.
He ate the knee then bent it to Cejudo.

I think that's a pretty different situation.
If the commission take the fighters word it shows a lack of faith in the officiating and objectivity of Keith Peterson, are they to grant his request because he smelt of booze and cigs? He should be fired then if they go ahead with that based on 0 evidence.
He's either up to the job or not.

Back