1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Dominations: Cool vs. Cringe

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by G10, Oct 14, 2021.

1. G10 Green Belt

Long time no post, Sherbros!

Like all of us, I'm sure we've seen a beatdown that was amazing and inspirational, but we've also seen some that were disturbing and cringey. However, what is the difference?

For example, the "cool" dominations I think of are GSP's performance against Fitch, Holloway's vs Ortega, Nate vs. Cowboy, and many more. There was something special about watching these fighters perform a perfect game-plan against strong opponents.

"Cringe" dominations that come to mind are Cain vs JDS 3, GSP vs Koscheck 2, and Texeira vs Smith. Watching these fights just made me feel awful for the guy on the other end of the beating, and I was hoping it would just get stopped.

But really, what's the difference at the end of the day? Thoughts?

2. Carrotman23 Of Rivia

Awesome and violent fights aren't "cringe"
    <{vega}>

3. 13Seconds Gold Belt

I guess the difference between "cool" and "cringe" dominations are that the cringe ones goes on for way longer than they should. I mean, Smith literally picked up his teeth from the canvas and gave them to the ref.

BFoe, kuf, G10 and 2 others like this.
  4. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Btw does anyone remember Mike Davis vs Gifford? That's the worst beating i've ever seen in the UFC. THAT was cringe

bogeyj, Espresso and Ares Black like this.
  5. koquerelle Silver Belt

Silva vs Franklin (second fight I think)
    When Ace knew what was coming. It was a cringe moment for me.

bogeyj, RightToBareKnuckles and G10 like this.
  6. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think it depends on the opponents stage in their career, how much tangible damage they are taking on, and how people feel about the person inflicting it.

Personally for me many performances blur the line and are considered “both”. Holloway Vs Kattar is a strong example for me personally. I appreciated the level of dominance but I was cringing for Kattar the entire time, and as the fight went on I didn’t really enjoy it as much when it became apparent he had very little chance at producing anything resembling a threat to Max.

Ferguson Vs Justin is a good example as well. I was blown away by Justin and loved how effective he was. However, it lost something as the fight went on because tony had no business continuing the fight.

laleggenda27, BFoe, G10 and 2 others like this.
  7. RockyLockridge Silver Belt

Cool beat downs

Joanna vs penne
    Dillashaw vs barao
    gaethje vs ferguson
    Pretty much any time tyron woodley loses

Cringe beatdowns

Miocic vs Hunt
    Shevenko vs cachoeira

G10 likes this.
  8. WHITE ANDERSON Yellow Card Yellow Card

literally 0 difference other than your bias

i loved watching cain beat down JDS and i loved seeing JDS wanting out so bad that they actually KO'ed himself by diving into the mat

gsp's win over koscheck was cringe because GSP was so fucking scared to take a chance against a guy with one eye but those were his post Serra fights in general

when BJ Penn came back at FW to fight francisco edgar, that was beautiful
    you want to mess around and pretend you're still in your prime? GADOOSH this is reality breaking your face

there is nothing more amazing about fighting than seeing these guys have to come to terms with the fact that they're broken down, beaten up old men who are former shells of their younger selves. that's why i love this shit baby, JUST BLEED

G10 and RockyLockridge like this.
  9. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Imo Barboza/Hooker is also dancing on the line. Barboza's technique was just so beautiful to see but man... That should have been stopped sooner

And this is just the last round lol

10. RockyLockridge Silver Belt

I was thinking of this too

11. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yeah…in some fights I get it. Like, no, I don’t want someone to prematurely call a fight when there may be a chance for a late sub etc…IMO that’s one of the balancing forces in MMA, is that wrestling for pts/g&p can make you vulnerable in a 5 round fight.

But we all know THOSE fights in which no reasonable person could see one of the fighters winning. My feelings are heightened when a low ranked/unranked fighter is taking a big step up on short notice.

13Seconds likes this.
  12. G10 Green Belt

LMAO! Nothing wrong with that theory, I guess.

13. BFoe PhD in Fedor Studies from the Univ of Stary Oskol Platinum Member

Those are perfect examples. Holloway-Ortega was another cringefest, or Cain-JDS 3, or Cain-Bigfoot 1.
    For cool dominations I think of like, Fedor vs Nogueira 1 and Silva-Griffin.

Zebra Cheeks and G10 like this.
  14. G10 Green Belt

That's a good point. The cringey beat downs tend to happen a lot with a lot of older, past prime fighters. However, even good fighters in their prime receive cringey beatdowns, too. I think JDS was in his early thirties when he fought Cain the third time.

For me, the only thing I can think of that separates a "cool" from "cringe" is the level of helplessness that the receiving fighter is showing. For example, GSP's win over Fitch was cool partly because Fitch kept getting up, trying to find openings, shooting for takedowns, etc. However, GSP's domination over Koscheck was cringey because you could tell in the first round that Koscheck had no answer for stopping the jab, and it was just going to be GSP slowly ripping his face off for twenty plus minutes.

I agree that some blur the line a lot, too. Khabib vs. Michael Johnson comes to mind when I think of a domination both cool and cringey.

Zebra Cheeks likes this.
  15. textwarrior Brown Belt

Pride vs Shame,

Shame:
    I never liked Tito and rooted for Ken Shamrock. The first fight was an awesome fight to watch between both. However, the 3rd one, where Tito picks Ken up, walks him across the cage, then flattens him....in the meantime, Ken is kicking like a girl as he is being walked across...it was the way he was kicking his legs that made him look so bad...That was shameful or embarrassing to watch.

Pride:
    Ken's history of fighting can be filled with Pride or worth but fighting past his prime, is cringe to watch. 37 was his age for his first fight with Tito..37 is that cut off age imo... Ken was ahead on grappling for a few years. Maybe not top wrestler but top grappler. The best at leg locks and fighting off his back from someone who could also take you down. Usually, wrestlers are bad off their back, Ken was like the one guy who could do both.If you know anything about Ken, he was a 185 guy blowing up on steroids to make 220....he fought people much bigger than him in other words and why maybe he didn't do to well off his back against Dan Severn in the rematch. If he fought at 185, he would have owned it but everyone was on roids....185 to 205 was more like his weight range but for his size he was one of the best but past his prime he look like something else...just a regular person with not much grappling anymore either.

G10 likes this.
  16. 1pedestrian Banned Banned

Cool
    DJ vs Horiguchi
    Khabib vs Gaethje

Cringe
    Pennington vs Nunes
    Belfort vs Holyfield (super cringe)

17. Espresso @Terrorist Rat Led BathtubBrothers #DefendorVacate

That was sick

Not in a good way

18. srw15 White Belt

GSP vs Serra 2 was cringe

19. Shaddows Steel Belt

IMHO there's entertainment and there's pain.

It is just which side is ruling that determines it.

For instance: when Silva put Forrest into the matrix, it was a domination but Forrest was not all bloody and battered.
    But watching Junior endure a huge beating from Cain, and only his heart keeping him standing, that was hard to watch. Especially on their third fight (where ghosts of the second fight appeared)

20. M.U.S.C.L.E. Blue Belt

Cringe for me is watching a fighter get beat down round after round and not change their approach one bit, just keep walking into the beatdown.
    And I'm not talking about Kevin Holland "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" guys who get taken down and can't get back up (although that is borderline cringe.)
    I'm talking about Calvin Kattar guys who walk into strike after strike with no chance of landing a shot.
    It's not working. Do something different.

Nick Diaz fight versus Robbie Lawler was cringe too. Nick started off well enough, then the momentum swung in the 2nd round. In the 3rd round, it was clear he was going to get his head caved in by Robbie eventually.

Nick is a jiu jitsu savant. Jiu Jitsu is Robbie's biggest weakness. Hello! Nick? Grab him for Christ's sake!

G10 likes this.