Dominant Decision wins >> flash Finishes

That is a very strange argument.

JDS was clearly in zombie mode fighting for survival after he ate that massive overhand in the very 1st round.

Had he fallend and got KOed (like Cain did) instead of fighting till the end would you call the fight a fluke?

this

then JDS fans would say he was winning the 1st till he got tko'ed lol

How can you throw out the big punch that JDS finished the fight with and not throw out the big punch that Cain rocked JDS with that he never recovered from? These two fights just showed that they are both great fighters and JDS has more stopping power and/or a stronger chin because he wasn't knocked out (not trying to imply that JDS is the better fighter).

I disagree

a win is a win

Dominant decision=flash ko

velasquez dominated the decision after 1 big strike. this caused junior to loose the rest of the fight so if junior went out the result would be the same but it would have been a flash ko instead

you see how it works?

Take Cain and JDS out of the equation as the potential singular big punch may cloud the issue.

instead lets look at Bendo dominating Nate Diaz to a decision and compare that to JDS KOing Cain the first time.

We all know JDS is an awesome striker. Nothing lucky when he lands a big punch. The only question is how repeatable is it really? Can he win as easily or at all the next time? I think we all agree that question loomed large going into last nights fight even if quite a few fans wrongly thought a flash KO is so dominant that Cain stands no chance the second time.

Now look at the Bendo/diaz fight which was a dominant decision win. IS there even one person who questions how repeatable that performance was? is there a single person who would put money on Diaz in the rematch at even odds?

I used JDS/Cain 1 as it is the best example of a flash KO by a guy who should get the maximum credit for it as HE CAN do it over and over. And yet still, even with his awesome skills and power we have to accept that huge questions hang over his win.

the same such questions never hang over a dominant decision win that I have seen.

I disagree

a win is a win

Dominant decision=flash ko

velasquez dominated the decision after 1 big strike. this caused junior to loose the rest of the fight so if junior went out the result would be the same but it would have been a flash ko instead

you see how it works?

this

Actually any finish is better than any decision. After being dominated for five rounds, the loser can still fight. After being finished (whether KO'd or submitted), the loser is out of the fight, helpless if you like.

If you've competed yourself you know this, or if not, talk to anyone who has. Its always better to lose in the eyes of the judges than to be taken completely out of the fight.

Or put it this way - if they had let JDS beat on Cain after the KO, he could have been even more dominating for the last four rounds, beating on an unconscious opponent.

A lot of guys argue that it's more entertaining and it's better. I don't see how anybody could sit here and say a 64 second KO told us more about the two fighters over what happened tonight..
Oh you better believe a lot do. Just look at the guy below. lol.

Actually any finish is better than any decision. After being dominated for five rounds, the loser can still fight. After being finished (whether KO'd or submitted), the loser is out of the fight, helpless if you like.

If you've competed yourself you know this, or if not, talk to anyone who has. Its always better to lose in the eyes of the judges than to be taken completely out of the fight.

Or put it this way - if they had let JDS beat on Cain after the KO, he could have been even more dominating for the last four rounds, beating on an unconscious opponent.
it is often leaves far more questions as to who is actually the better fighter after a flash or quick finish then after a dominating decision win.

I don't think people understand how Junior and Cain match up. The fight is most likely to go one of two ways and we've seen both. Junior was the better fighter the first night, Cain the second.

Both fights tell us just as much about the match up, so yes, I would argue that and I'm delighted MMA has such a great rivalry.

Since when did setting up a knockout perfectly in 64 seconds become unimpressive?

you have to agree because even though Cain got flash KO'd, he recieved a rematch after one win. I think its gonna be hard to sell a 3rd fight after JDS getting steamrolled like that

Since when did setting up a knockout perfectly in 64 seconds become unimpressive?

I think this is gonna be a regular feature of Sherdog after Cain fights, he's had huge problems getting the finish even while absolutely demolishing opponents.

you have to agree because even though Cain got flash KO'd, he recieved a rematch after one win. I think its gonna be hard to sell a 3rd fight after JDS getting steamrolled like that

Dana was talking about an immediate rematch based on the rivalry.

Wrong.

Finishes > Decisions

It goes like this...

KO > (T)KO > Submission > Brittney Palmer holding round card # > Doctor's Stoppage > Corner's Stoppage > DQ > Arianny holding round card # > Decision.

What if Cain had finished Junior in the first round?

Seriously, what if Junior didn't show the heart he did and Cain finished him in the first round after Junior defended against all the takedowns prior to the finish.

There is no such thing as flash KO's, you decide the fate of your own fight

yup. JDS road back will be longer then Cain's. Bank on it.

Also why so many people want to see Anderson/Belfort2. While Anderson will be the rightful big favorite in the rematch many still think Vitor can do much better in a rematch. Rematch Bendo and Nate and no one would give Nate much chance to do any better.

You could also make the argument that while one punch for Junior defeated Cain, one punch from Cain also defeated Junior. Junior was doing quite well in the first half of the first round (you may have had to mute Joe Rogan to see that) by stuffing take downs and landing solid jabs. Cain was flying around flopping on the floor, but when Cain landing that big overhand right, the fight was basically over. Junior never fully recovered. So, one could argue that a single punch won both fights.

Great post sir, I salute you. Please post this in all these Cain>JDS threads.

Its obviously a fluke when JDS does it, but when Anderson phucking Silva does it to Vitor Belfort or every other fighter, its obviously no fluke....love sherdog's logic.....

The Cain nuthugging is out of control lol.

Naw, dog, if you don't finish you're opponent, you're not the better fighter!!

JUST BLEED!!11!!1!1!!!111

Or something along those lines.

Speaking as a Mighty Mouse and Ben Henderson fan, I've had TS's opinion once or twice.

Back