Dominant champions are not as exciting to watch.

i think there is something to be said for a good underdog - lets face it, when sonnen was utterly dismantling silva for 4.5 rounds, it was exciting and even more exciting when silva caught him by submission.

disagree. nothing brings me more excitement than watching anderson and wondering what he'll do to someone next. then there's always the feeling of "oh my god can THIS be the guy to finally beat him?" feeelings. i'll take that over the "who's gona be champ this month?" feeling any day

Just check the results then, why bother to watch them fight? What a fkn weird thread.

If I am a fan of the title holder I want him to dismantle the opponent. I don't want a close competitive fight. I want him to dominate. If I dislike the title holder or just have a neutral feel on the guy then sure I want to see them in more competitive fights every time out.

GSP I agree is not too exciting but the dominant champ Jon Jones seems to do something a bit different each fight of entertainment value.

And Andy is just awe inspiring to watch the way he dismantles guys.

Im a huge fan of Bj Penn, Anderson and GSP. I thought it was a more exciting match when Bj lost to frankie than when he smashed diego. When Anderson was getting dragged around the ring by Chael was better than when Anderson went into matrix mode on forest. Im a fan of the the champs but i love rooting for the underdog. My favorite time in mma was the LHW division when Liddell lost to jackson, jackson to griffin, griffin to evans, evans to machida, machida to rua and rua to jones. Up to that point most of those fights were a toss up. You honestly couldnt tell who was gonna win. Now it seems the championship fights are too predictable. Am i the only one?

hey fellow masshole :) I'm kind of the same way but a lot of my favorite fighters aren't exactly world beaters so I don't always have a choice.Well the cain jds fight wasn't too predictable.I made my picks on here I think I picked cain it a kinda toss up don't remember exactly.I was back and forth in that fight.

I think the championship fights have gotten more predictable because people are much better informed and know there stuff(just not most on here lol).....but the cards as a whole I think show a different story,a drastically different story.I'm #1 betting all time at the tracker so i'm pretty good at betting and there were so many close fights on paper these last 6 or so events.We are coming into a time where people are so good guy's betting are scratching for footage and info on how training and camps etc are going.People improve so fast it's hard to tell.

I can't remember what event it was but months ago there were 8 HEAVY underdog's that won on a ufc card.Every event there's some big underdog winning it seems.There's plenty there to keep you from now knowing what's gonna happen.

You think Aldo's just gonna walk through frankie edgar ? I doubt it.He'll probably win but frankie will be fast as fuck not packing on that extra weight he's a huge threat to aldo I don't care what any nuthuggers say.I bet against my favorite fighters all the time i'm not biased at all when picking fights but if aldo can't take edgar out early I think he would be in big jeopardy of losing his strap by decision.

There's plenty to keep it interesting to me.If someone's getting bored or think's cards are watered down shit go watch at least 2 recent fights of everyone on the card then you'll be excited about the card or you just shouldn't be watching mma(this isn't pointed towards ts).I think the mma "fans" these days are mostly just wannabe fans who lack the patience to dig a little deeper to be more informed ultimately making the fights more interesting.The new adderall induced fans are ruining forums and giving mma a little black eye lol.

So yeah there's some predictable title fights kicking around here and there but they are also sensible in most cases.I'm ok with sonnen jones because jones has fought what seems like 87X more than any other champ and the show understandably needs help.I'm not happy about it one but I feel I can't bitch when the guy's fought all the time...even if I heavily dislike him he's paid his due's in that dept.This also gives time for a clear #1 contender and a possible match with daniel cormier(via dana white).So in the big picture it's not a big deal.

Like I always say if something's so predictable bet a bunch of money on it 99% of people don't for a reason because mma isn't too easy to predict consistently at a very accurate rate.The top guy on fantasy betting here on sherdog has a correct percentage of only 65% I think that should say enough....and about I don't remember 5 or 10% picked cain to win.

Its fun to watch when Anderson or Aldo destroy other fighters

Its not fun to watch GSP neutralize other fighters

yet GSP is one of your favorite fighters.... just playing I understand what you mean.I think GSP is great to watch but still he could be more exciting and a little less safe on the ground.

I will never understand this line of reasoning among some MMA fans. Do you guys follow any other sports? Most people like to see consistency in what they're watching, a hierarchy of tiers with a clear top dog, like your Jordans, Tysons, Woods, etc..That's what brings in the money, the mystique and dominance of an individual or a team, that's what's truly exciting about sports. Random chance is fucking boring. And you can't really have "upsets" without having dominant champions/competitors anyway.

In my opinion i just like watching closely contested fights. I know its not a champions fault that he is just way better than everyone in his division. With Cain vs JDS i wanted Cain to win but about the 3rd round i was hoping JDS would crack him with an uppercut because he was getting beat so bad. IDK its just the type of fan i am.

My casual friend who stopped watching MMA said the same thing.

I think it's more exciting since their record is on the line.

Fuck off. Anderson is insanely dominant and he's one of the most exciting champions out there. same goes for Aldo, Benson, fuck any of the dominant champs really.

Im a huge fan of Bj Penn, Anderson and GSP. I thought it was a more exciting match when Bj lost to frankie than when he smashed diego. When Anderson was getting dragged around the ring by Chael was better than when Anderson went into matrix mode on forest. Im a fan of the the champs but i love rooting for the underdog. My favorite time in mma was the LHW division when Liddell lost to jackson, jackson to griffin, griffin to evans, evans to machida, machida to rua and rua to jones. Up to that point most of those fights were a toss up. You honestly couldnt tell who was gonna win. Now it seems the championship fights are too predictable. Am i the only one?

:confused: The fuck?

also i think it legitimizes mma more to have a dominant champ. to a lot of casuals, it would just look like all these guys have equal chance of being champ and it's less about skill.

a lot of casuals don't really know who the diff champs are, but some will point out how there's always a new champ.

Back