Dom REYES highlights why building a run of consecutive DEFENSES is the ultimate test of GOATNESS

Rum

Champion of Champions
@Silver
Reaction score
I started fighting in 2012 and look at that – Jones was the guy then. So I’ve kind of been training for him the entire time.” --- https://mmajunkie.com/2019/01/dominick-reyes-wants-to-dethrone-jon-jones-keys-beating-ufc-champ

The Chris: "I imagined fighting Anderson Silva since I got into martial arts" ---

Max and Conor said the same thing about how when they finally got in the cage with Aldo they'd been studying him for half a decade.

There are many ways to be impressive in MMA - spectacular finishing ability, unbeaten streaks, titles in multiple weight classes, talking mad trash, being as swole as Yoel Romero at 41 ...

... but above all of them the absolute #1 ultimate test of greatness is the ability to stay on top of your mountain while contender after contender after contender after contender after contender tries to rip you down off of the peak.

What Reyes, Weidman, Conor, Max and others are talking about is the significantly heightened level of scrutiny that long term champs such as Jones, GSP, Aldo, etc. had to deal with, and that no other fighter has to deal with on the same level.

The target on your back, as every other fighter in your weight class, and their coaches, studies your game any time they're not studying their next opponent, while you as champ only really concentrate on one opponent at a time because you never know whether any of the others will ever reach high enough to challenge you.

By the time Jonny Bones, for example, faced Glover Texeira, Glover had been studying title holder Jon in his spare time for 3+ years while Jon had only just finished up with Gus to be able to take a proper look at Glover 6 or so months earlier.

Similarly those of us who are true hardcores and non-noobs remember listening to Cage Warriors era Conor McGregor on MMA Junkie Radio all the way back in 2012 (way before Casual Helwani had ever heard of Conor) talking about how he'd been studying FW legend Jose Aldo for years already and was convinced he'd worked out how to beat him. This study began long before Aldo had ever even heard of Conor McGregor. Of course, this is also why Max is too smart to entertain overexcited media and fans prematurely asking whether Max is already the FW GOAT. Max knows how it is because from Feb 2012 to Dec 2015 - long before Aldo or his team ever started watching tape on Max - Max was studying Aldo like the rest of the 145 division.

So of course it's hella impressive that GSP is a 2-division champion, but it's faaaaaaaaaar more impressive that he defended his title 9 consecutive times. That's just how the real world works.

TL;DR A long streak of title defenses is the #1 ultimate truest test of GOATNESS ... FACT

(In b4 some humorless drooling goober points out "GOATNESS" isn't even a real word)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
latest

Fighting the #1 contender every fight is better than having a potentially easy path to the title. Or having a title shot handed to you...

I bet Reyes puts up a better fight than A Smith. I just saw that A Smith has a 76 inch reach at 6'4. Not sure how he gets in on Jon. Not really sure how good A Smith is honestly but not sure if he has a legit shot at Jon. I think Reyes and J Walker are the best options right now, although those two need some experience.

EDIT: Anyone know Reyes' reach or J Walker's?

I bet Reyes puts up a better fight than A Smith. I just saw that A Smith has a 76 inch reach at 6'4. Not sure how he gets in on Jon. Not really sure how good A Smith is honestly but not sure if he has a legit shot at Jon. I think Reyes and J Walker are the best options right now, although those two need some experience.

10225296.jpg
10250014.jpg

Fedor defended the lineal HW title 18 times in a row with 16 finishes.

Fedor GOAT.

Fedor GOAT.

Yep, fair call.

While not a "long-term champion" in the same way as, say, Aldo or a GSP, Fedor was considered the #1 HW on the planet for many years and thus heavily studied by all of his opponents after a certain point, so he fits the same profile.

Jon's fight on the weekend really drove this point home.

A true test of GOATness also means never testing hot during your streak.

The Chris says the same thing here ... he'd been studying Anderson ever since he got into MMA

Nope, staying undefeated is. And that was the only reason Fedor was considered to be the GOAT by the majority for the longest time. Nobody ever cared about his title defenses. Now, even though he is still rightfully considered GOAT by many, it isn't half as popular an opinion as it once was. And it is only because of his losses even though they were at the tail end of his career.

Jones would crush those GOAT polls if it weren't for steroids since he is basically undefeated.

Khabib will eventually take that title but if he loses one fight, people would start discrediting all his achievements.

There's a reason why there is only one purely undefeated fighter in UFC with 20 plus fights. Because it is the hardest possible thing to do. Even greats like Silva, Aldo and GSP lost multiple times, some to even cans.

An undefeated fighter who nobody could ever beat is by definition the best fighter ever.

Was the #1 HW on the planet, and thus operating under the same high-scrutiny conditions as a defending champion.

The point stands.

Keep up.

Reyes has a 77”, vs. Jones’ 84 1⁄2” reach.

Fedor GOAT.
Fighting an unranked can in a non title fight isn’t a defense. He had a bunch but not 18

smith only has 76 in reach tf? im 5'10 maybe 11 and im at 75

Good times.

Back