Dollar Per Dollar, Who is Rebney Kidding?

opl

Green Belt
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/7...ute-over-matching-eddie-alvarezs-ufc-offer-we

Who is Rebney kidding by saying they matched the UFC's offer dollar per dollar? Sure they may have matched some payments dollar per dollar but when it comes to PPV buys and the fighters cut, there is no way they can match that dollar per dollar. They may have matched it as a % but not to the dollar.

Hypothetically, let's say the contract states 1% of the no. of PPV buys and an Alvarez fight in the UFC sold 500K buys at nice round no. of $50 per view, that equates to $25M.

Not let us say Alvarez' cut is 1% of that, for a total of $250K. Is Rebney really saying he has enough money to give Eddie $250K per fight as a main card headliner? I'm being fictitious about 500K but that could be 800K, 1M, who knows? So that's my point.

There is now way Bellator's contract can be dollar per dollar when no one knows how many PPV buys Edddie Alvarez will sell for the UFC. He could sell 1M or he can sell 250K buys. The only thing that contract will state is a percentage with tolerances which could stair depending on how many PPVs Alvarez sells. That contract can even say 1% if <=500K buys vs. 1.5% if between 501K and 800K, etc.

Why else would Alvarez say what he said below?

According to Alvarez in a Monday interview on The MMA Hour, Bellator didn't match the deal. Speaking metaphorically to avoid exact contract language, he likened the UFC's deal to "fine dining" and Bellator's to "McDonald's," saying all dinners are not created equal.

In my mind Rebney saying Bellator matched the UFC's offer is like having a $50 piece of steak with the UFC vs. 10 Big Macs from Bellator. Sure they both work out to around $50 but who wants to eat 10 Big Macs when you can have a fat juicy bone in ribeye at the same table as the rest of the UFC Superstars :)

You're right by saying there is no way they can match the UFC PPV points, as there is no way to tell what PPV buys Alvarez would do to be able to counter it. Or if Alvarez would even been on PPV, Lombards first fight wasnt.

It does sound extremely difficult toccompare apples to apples a ufc contract and a Bellator one. In the ufc your pay could greatly vary depending if you are on fx or fox or ppv or fuel or Facebook. Where in Bellator it seems much more straight forward.

That's why the whole matching thing is idiotic in the first place.

[QUOTE="Rush";78161609]You're right by saying there is no way they can match the UFC PPV points, as there is no way to tell what PPV buys Alvarez would do to be able to counter it. Or if Alvarez would even been on PPV, Lombards first fight wasnt.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure?

Bellator will get a lot of hate for this but at the end of the day we dont know the full details and you can bet you bottom dollar the the UFC would do a similar thing if they were in the same position.

[QUOTE="Rush";78161771]My bad, but he was originally scheduled to fight Brian Stann on Fox. My point still stands though.[/QUOTE]

If they can guarantee him a certain percentage of PPV buys then he's already guaranteed to make more money in the UFC than Bellator. If Alvarez is getting one dollar per PPV buy (just for the sake of argument of course), he's making more than Bellator which cannot guarantee him PPV pay of any kind.

In a ways, it's somewhat good that this will head to court since we'll be able to get a definitive by law answer as to what constitutes a matching contract.

TS seems to have missed the most important paragraph:

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

you don't have to like it, but you should at least attempt to understand it.

TS seems to have missed the most important paragraph:

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

you don't have to like it, but you should at least attempt to understand it.

This.

I'm surprised this general issue hasn't come up sooner: how do you match on PPV buys and ratings if pay is dependent on them? This could be an important case.

I hope all the up and coming fighters take one lesson from this, Don't sign that contract til you have a real lawyer explain what it actually means to you

This.

I'm surprised this general issue hasn't come up sooner: how do you match on PPV buys and ratings if pay is dependent on them? This could be an important case.

this is what i've been saying for months. it's a very intriguing case, legally.

alas, i get drown out with folks quite uninterested in the nuances of the situation.

alas, i get drown out with folks quite uninterested in the nuances of the situation.

Bjorn and Dana are both bald. It's hard to look past that to other issues sometimes.

I hope all the up and coming fighters take one lesson from this, Don't sign that contract til you ha.ve a real lawyer explain what it actually means to you

he knows. UFC knows. Bellator knows. everyone knows.

UFC could easily have offered him triple or quadruple guaranteed pay and no bonuses, to see if Bellator would be willing to pay that. Eddie could have demanded it, like CroCop did years ago. they chose not to, and instead to add in bonus $, to see what Bellator would do. this is what they did.

all of this is quite apparent if folks step back and take their emotion out of the equation.

If they can guarantee him a certain percentage of PPV buys then he's already guaranteed to make more money in the UFC than Bellator. If Alvarez is getting one dollar per PPV buy (just for the sake of argument of course), he's making more than Bellator which cannot guarantee him PPV pay of any kind.

In a ways, it's somewhat good that this will head to court since we'll be able to get a definitive by law answer as to what constitutes a matching contract.

Bjorn has said them putting Alvarez could be done. They could say that they will match the percentage that the UFC is offering. Its impossible to say what they would do apart from projections, something thats not guaranteed.

he knows. UFC knows. Bellator knows. everyone knows.

UFC could easily have offered him triple or quadruple guaranteed pay and no bonuses, to see if Bellator would be willing to pay that. Eddie could have demanded it, like CroCop did years ago. they chose not to, and instead to add in bonus $, to see what Bellator would do. this is what they did.

all of this is quite apparent if folks step back and take their emotion out of the equation.
He knows now, I am not sure he knew when he signed the original deal.

he isnt fooling Eddie by the sounds of it this has turned into a mess - both parties should just forget it and move on.

And Eddie having no choice in the matter is the messed up part. Does he want equal guarantee with no chance of more. Or the same guarantee with a chance for much more?

Back