DOJ: California man charged with threatening to kill Boston Globe employees

blindfolded.jpg
If you take @Trotsky post that you responded to, and change each sentence to mean the exact opposite of what he said, you would arrive much closer to the truth.

Here's an example:
(a) They didn't give Obama any better treatment than any other president: in fact, the MSM was much more unnecessarily critical of him than his predecessor GWB, who probably got the cushiest treatment of any president of my lifetime relative to his performance.

Now just change each sentence to have the exact opposite meaning that Trotsky was trying to convey, and you arrive at this:

"They clearly gave Obama better treatment than any other president: in fact, the MSM was much more uncritical of him than his predecessor GWB, who probably got the one of the most vicious treatment of any president of my lifetime relative to his performance."

I found doing this with any of the posts from Sherdog's liberal clique will help you arrive much closer to the truth.

This is a straw man of colossal proportions.

It's honestly frustrating how, in the Trump age, I've been forced into defending outlets like NYT, WashPo, and CNN, all of whom I have railed against for years, just on the basis that they do report more factually than bogus news entertainment sites. Just during the 2016 primary I was criticizing NYTimes for their slanted coverage of Sanders, and CNN for their blackout of Democracy Spring. But saying they are liars or propagandists - and not that they have an understandable systemic slant in favor of longstanding policies and parties because of their business relationship with them - is not only silly: it's dangerous.

I get most of my opinion/policy content from leftist sites (Jacobin, Salvage, The Intercept, The Nation, In These Times). However, even those left-wing outlets rely fairly regularly on fact-finding by major newspapers, most especially NYT.

This is a straw man of colossal proportions.

It's honestly frustrating how, in the Trump age, I've been forced into defending outlets like NYT, WashPo, and CNN, all of whom I have railed against for years, just on the basis that they do report more factually than bogus news entertainment sites. Just during the 2016 primary I was criticizing NYTimes for their slanted coverage of Sanders, and CNN for their blackout of Democracy Spring. But saying they are liars or propagandists - and not that they have an understandable systemic slant in favor of longstanding policies and parties because of their business relationship with them - is not only silly: it's dangerous.

I get most of my opinion/policy content from leftist sites (Jacobin, Salvage, The Intercept, The Nation, In These Times). However, even those left-wing outlets rely fairly regularly on fact-finding by major newspapers, most especially NYT.

" But saying they are liars or propagandists - and not that they have an understandable systemic slant in favor of longstanding policies and parties because of their business relationship with them - is not only silly: it's dangerous."

What you describe is lying and propaganda. Why is the truth "dangerous"? If you were honest you'd say "when it doesn't fit with my opinion or beliefs".

I'm sure you will say that this study is crap and the long time director of NPR is full of shit, but I'll post it anyway:

"Conclusion
Although we expected to find that most media lean left, we were astounded by the degree. A norm among journalists is to present “both sides of the issue.” Consequently, while we expected members of Congress to cite primarily think tanks that are on the same side of the ideological spectrum as they are, we expected journalists to practice a much more balanced citation practice, even if the journalist’s own ideology opposed the think tanks that he or she is sometimes citing. This was not always the case. Most of the mainstream media outlets that we examined (ie all those besides Drudge Report and Fox News’ Special Report) were closer to the average Democrat in Congress than they were to the median member of the House."
"The mainstream media does not have a liberal bias. . . . ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, the New York Times, The Washington Post, Time, Newsweek and the rest -- at least try to be fair." --Al Franken. (2003, xx) Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right.
The main conclusion of our paper is that our results simply reject such claims."

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/GrosecloseMilyo.pdf

https://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other-half-of-america-that-the-liberal-media-doesnt-cover/

Another stupid 'but but Obama' out of you.

The reference to Trump here is his rhetoric against the press, his calling them "the enemy of the people" repeatedly, and yes that does affect people.

Did Obama repeatedly call the press (or in that case the Republican House) the "enemy of the people" and state that all of them were insidiously lying and trying to mislead the public for the benefit of [well, none of them seem to agree on what shadow organization is behind this plot] and to the detriment of the country?

No?

Okay, then they aren't comparable. And, frankly, saying that about the Republican Party would be a hell of a lot more accurate than saying it about the entirety of American journalism.

He has never called for any violence against the press.

So he can't criticize the liberal press?

This is the go to for the left now. Say things they don't like and they will use anything they can to silence you, the race card or blame any violence on the other side.

A California man has been arrested for allegedly threatening to kill Boston Globeemployees after the newspaper coordinated a series of editorialsdenouncing President Trump’s attacks on the media, the Justice Department said Thursday. Robert D. Chain, 68, of Encino, California, was charged with making threatening communications in interstate commerce. He allegedly made threatening calls to the Globe about 14 times between August 10 and 22. On Aug. 16, the day hundreds of newspapers published editorials promoting the freedom of the press in coordination with the Globe, Chain called to say he would shoot Globe employees in the head “later today, at 4 o’clock,” prosecutors said. According to the DOJ, Chain referred to the Globe as “the enemy of the people,” echoing Trump’s rhetoric.

Showing up armed at a pizzeria was bad enough but now his supporters are being arrested for threatening to kill members of the press while using the language he uses. Only question is when will he be pardoned?

DUb3Yv6UQAA4dMe.jpg

This was him today, outside the courtroom:

"Wearing a bright blue T-shirt, and his hair in a pink-dyed pony tail, as he walked out of the courthouse he was asked by journalists whether he had a problem with the free press.

"There is no free press in America," he responded, before stopping and turning to the cameras.

"Yeah, I would like to make one statement. America was saved when Donald J Trump was elected president."

"Had Hillary Clinton, the criminal Hillary Clinton, who by the way, whose emails were just hacked by the Chinese, now..."

A woman accompanying Mr Chain interrupted to say: "Let's get out of here!"

_103236186_captasdf335oure.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45361667

Last edited:
Long story short, Donald Trump is a country dividing wanna be dictator piece of shit.

Yep, Trumps attacks on the press are totally harmless.
What does this have to do with Trumps "attacks on the press" ? You think Trump was the only guy to ever question the legitimacy of mainstream media like CNN lmao

" But saying they are liars or propagandists - and not that they have an understandable systemic slant in favor of longstanding policies and parties because of their business relationship with them - is not only silly: it's dangerous."

What you describe is lying and propaganda. Why is the truth "dangerous"? If you were honest you'd say "when it doesn't fit with my opinion or beliefs".

I'm sure you will say that this study is crap and the long time director of NPR is full of shit, but I'll post it anyway:

"Conclusion
Although we expected to find that most media lean left, we were astounded by the degree. A norm among journalists is to present “both sides of the issue.” Consequently, while we expected members of Congress to cite primarily think tanks that are on the same side of the ideological spectrum as they are, we expected journalists to practice a much more balanced citation practice, even if the journalist’s own ideology opposed the think tanks that he or she is sometimes citing. This was not always the case. Most of the mainstream media outlets that we examined (ie all those besides Drudge Report and Fox News’ Special Report) were closer to the average Democrat in Congress than they were to the median member of the House."
"The mainstream media does not have a liberal bias. . . . ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, the New York Times, The Washington Post, Time, Newsweek and the rest -- at least try to be fair." --Al Franken. (2003, xx) Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right.
The main conclusion of our paper is that our results simply reject such claims."

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/GrosecloseMilyo.pdf

https://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other-half-of-america-that-the-liberal-media-doesnt-cover/
No matter which side a reporter or newspaper leans, a fact is still a fact. A quote is still a quote. Mainstream news outlets can be taken to court when they intentionally report something that isn't true (and they're held accountable when they screw up).

So it doesn't matter if the right moved super far to the right and the newspapers didn't follow them. If the think tanks that the papers use have work that can be proven wrong, then prove it wrong instead of complaining about the stupid metric of "fair and balanced"

What does this have to do with Trumps "attacks on the press" ? You think Trump was the only guy to ever question the legitimacy of mainstream media like CNN lmao

It has everything to do with what Trump says about the media. Read what the guy said. He's parroting Trump's words. He's brainwashed into believing what Trump says.

Which other president has called the press "the enemy of the people"?

It has everything to do with what Trump says about the media. Read what the guy said. He's parroting Trump's words. He's brainwashed into believing what Trump says.

Which other president has called the press "the enemy of the people"?

To be fair he said Fake Press was the enemy. Not The Press

But still, As bad as the media can be. He should have not said that

The guy should be locked up for a very very long time.

However he didn't actually try to carry it out, say like the guy that shot up the the softball shooting.

If this is Trumps doing then that was Obama's.

I agree.

Fair is fair.

Don't expect many others here to agree with you though.

Lol, the Daily Beast is the absolute worst. I believe the opposite of whatever they say. They are a disgusting Clinton propaganda machine who does nothing other than play identitarian politics

To be fair he said Fake Press was the enemy. Not The Press

But still, As bad as the media can be. He should have not said that

This tweet is about "much of the media", in other words "all mainstream media besides Fox News".

"I just cannot state strongly enough how totally dishonest much of the Media is. Truth doesn’t matter to them, they only have their hatred & agenda. This includes fake books, which come out about me all the time, always anonymous sources, and are pure fiction. Enemy of the People!"

This tweet is directed at "Fake News", which again means everyone besides Fox.

"The Fake News hates me saying that they are the Enemy of the People only because they know it’s TRUE. I am providing a great service by explaining this to the American People. They purposely cause great division & distrust. They can also cause War! They are very dangerous & sick!"

This tweet speak for itself, he spells out who he's referring to.

"The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!"

So yes, he is telling his followers to hate the mainstream media, and disbelieve everything negative that they report about him, besides Fox News, the only one he trusts. Lots of his dedicated followers actually believe this, including several who post here regularly.

This tweet is about "much of the media", in other words "all mainstream media besides Fox News".

"I just cannot state strongly enough how totally dishonest much of the Media is. Truth doesn’t matter to them, they only have their hatred & agenda. This includes fake books, which come out about me all the time, always anonymous sources, and are pure fiction. Enemy of the People!"

This tweet is directed at "Fake News", which again means everyone besides Fox.

"The Fake News hates me saying that they are the Enemy of the People only because they know it’s TRUE. I am providing a great service by explaining this to the American People. They purposely cause great division & distrust. They can also cause War! They are very dangerous & sick!"

This tweet speak for itself, he spells out who he's referring to.

"The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!"

So yes, he is telling his followers to hate the mainstream media, and disbelieve everything negative that they report about him, besides Fox News, the only one he trusts. Lots of his dedicated followers actually believe this, including several who post here regularly.

Yes. It was overboard. But like I said he NEVER said the press.

Both sides should just reign it in. Just today some Dem congressman or candidate went into a tangent on how Bin Laden and Trump have so much in common. There are people on news shows saying Trump is a traitor

Both sides need to chill

PS Fogie. I despise most the press. Including much of FOX News

Yes. It was overboard. But like I said he NEVER said the press...

Of course not, that would have implied he was including Fox in his tirades. He merely meant everyone besides Fox.

BTW, please reply to my PM. Thanks.

Back