doing muay thai and trying to bulk

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by flamingredhead, Aug 16, 2010.

1. flamingredhead

flamingredhead Blue Belt

Okay so my question is if its possible to do muay thai every day and still be able to bulk up? Cause I'm still trying to get good enough to compete but I also want to get big.

2. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Eat more and lift heavy. Just like any other case when you want to "bulk up"

3. oasfc

oasfc Orange Belt

it is possible, but its very difficult.

i took 3 months off MT this summer and did starting strength with a gallon of milk a day. im still working off the fat but im cofident that ive put at least 3-4kg of muscle on, training MT aswell in my rest days would have destroyed any gains both in size and in my lifts. ive seen people do it but it would be a very gradual process, you would need to lift week in week out all year round to put on a few kg of lean muscle. i would recommend starting strength or 5x5 to help you put on size but it is very difficult to balance these programs and the rest time it requires with training MT. it is best to take a few months off to put on muscle IMO. however if you wish to put on size whilst training MT something like a two-day split that dosnt have you squatting 3 times a week (which is near impossible to do whilst training any sort of martial art).

4. flamingredhead

flamingredhead Blue Belt

Shit I was hoping I wouldn't have to take time off. I guess bulking will just have to wait. How do the pro mma guys do it? Like gsp putting 8lbs on and Mir getting totally fucking yoked?

5. oasfc

oasfc Orange Belt

because they are professional athletes who job is to train. im not saying it is not possible to bulk whilst training MT im just saying it will be a very slow and gradual process that will require lifting throughout the year to help develop lean muscle.

6. flamingredhead

flamingredhead Blue Belt

Ya ill probably just wait til my muay thai membership runs out then try to bulk up. I'm hoping with a personal trainer and eating enough I can pack on like 10lbs in a couple months.

7. UTN1

UTN1 Purple Belt

You can't gain any weight if you are doing MT every day , Do it three times a week and left weights once a week , eat alot of good foods drink alot of protien shakes or milk , you may gain some muscles this way .

8. UTN1

UTN1 Purple Belt

Don't do that ! I did what oasfc is talking about once and I lost all the weight in my first two months of MT training

9. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Can't is a pretty strong word. MT workouts might burn anywhere from 500-2000 calories depending on intensity. You can absolutely gain weight while burning 2000 calories per day - you just need to eat a lot in order to do it.

10. oasfc

oasfc Orange Belt

i train muay thai seriously, 4 times a week, even more when training for a fight. if you train less you could get away with running a strength program whilst training.

if you do decide to take a few months off to bulk you must not stop lifting all together when you start muay thai again or you will lose your muscle gains. reducing you lifting schedule from something like starting strength to a 2-day split or even one day squat, bench, DL, anything to maintain your strength and muscle mass.

11. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

I've managed to build muscle by doing 3 weights sessions a week, aswell as doing 4 kickboxing sessions a week. As long as you are getting your daily protein requirements, EFA's and enough carbs to fill in your deficits you will gain weight

12. flamingredhead

flamingredhead Blue Belt

So it sounds like I have to eat like a madman if I'm gonna do both. How do I prevent myself from overtraining???

13. rubberducky27

rubberducky27 Yellow Belt

Eat enough & Sleep enough.

14. oasfc

oasfc Orange Belt

a bit of advise - dont go with a program that has you squatting 3 times a week whilst training MT/kickboxing, recovery gets very, very difficult. a two-day split should be good enough. check the strength FAQ in the S&C forum.