Dog people please help. What is he mixed with?

Mixes are the best. Way less health problems. Less neurotic and inbred. Congrats.

Also, when you rescue or adopt you are doing a good thing. Puppy mills and breeders are generally terrible - it very rare to find an ethical one.

In that pic, be looks like he may be 100% Not buying your bullshit.

Size and markings would suggest springer spaniel to me.
What country are you in, could help narrow down common/native breeds?

It's almost certainly not a beagle, if he's already 35 pounds. I've had beagle/lab mixes, and they didn't get much bigger than 40 pounds.

It's almost certainly not a beagle, if he's already 35 pounds. I've had beagle/lab mixes, and they didn't get much bigger than 40 pounds.
Okay good lol thank you for saying that. Nothing against beagles just didn’t especially want one.

Regardless of what he is.... Going to pick him up tomorrow. Thank you for all your help guys. After I do a DNA test I’ll update the thread for those who care.

Springers are a great gundog for beating and retrieval, soft mouthed and are used by UK police forces and military as sniffer dogs.
Every pet springer I've met was absolutely crazy but easily trained and bond with their owner, he should be a great pet.

Hey guys. My wife and I are finally ready for a dog. Actually we’re so overwhelmed by life at the moment and it’s only going to get worse so it’s basically now or never haha.

We decided to adopt because it doesn’t feel right to me to get from a breeder. We wanted a puppy but found this 5 month old “lab mix”. He’s a sweetheart apparently but I’m just curious what he might be mixed with they say they don’t know.

Thanks for your time guys!
I was thinking German shorthaired pointer but the little bit of fluff on the ears and the large patches on the body has me thinking some kind of spaniel.

Either way I reckon it would be a good mix. The lab will mellow out any neurosis/high strung ness from the working breed. You will have to give that fucker a good long walk or play fetch for a good while daily. But it looks like a great mix

Looks like a lab/ Bird dog mix, or maybe even have some hound in.

If it is part hound, make sure your yard is very secure. They will try tracking random scents.

I have a Basset Hound, and if she gets on a scent, she'll put her nose to the ground and won't look back up for an hour. Its actually a common way they get lost, they can't remember how to get back home, because they've been staring at the ground.

Definitely got Lab in there somewhere. His head gives it away.

Thread update. Drove through a rain storm to go get him today.

Last edited:
Back