Doesn't random injury=NC?

Cap_reD

ANTI ZUFFA ZOMBIE
@Orange
Reaction score
Watching UFC last night my gf was clowning MAx Holloway for his post fight reaction.."he's pretty happy for someone who won a NC" "Nah he won" I responded but did he really win?

Usually if a freak inury occurs its a NC and I'm not sure there's more of a "freak accident" than a es****us tear(who has that happen?). Being a fight fan I guess I went with the show and took it as a W for Holloway but I've dragged my girl to enough weigh ins she knows the rules and looks at things more black and white than I do. Holloway didn't put him away why should he get a finish bonus for the other mans misfortune?

As much as having your throat torn sucks having a bad decision on your record could hurt more.

Watching UFC last night my gf was clowning MAx Holloway for his post fight reaction.."he's pretty happy for someone who won a NC" "Nah he won" I responded but did he really win?

Usually if a freak inury occurs its a NC and I'm not sure there's more of a "freak accident" than a es****us tear(who has that happen?). Being a fight fan I guess I went with the show and took it as a W for Holloway but I've dragged my girl to enough weigh ins she knows the rules and looks at things more black and white than I do. Holloway didn't put him away why should he get a finish bonus for the other mans misfortune?

As much as having your throat torn sucks having a bad decision on your record could hurt more.

Nope. Same as in any sport, if you can't continue and you lose, you lose. You're running the 100m sprint in the Olympics and you tear a hamstring, its rough, but you lost. The race isn't called a NC.

You're playing in the Wimbledon final and you break an ankle while being one game from winning it all - and you're given the choice of trying to finish with the broken ankle, or defaulting.

Same in MMA or any combat sport. Once the fight goes past a certain point (varies between organizations), if it wasn't your opponent's foul, and you can't continue, then you lose. And it has to be that way. Otherwise everyone would be arranging a random injury when it looked like they were going to lose.

Nope. Same as in any sport, if you can't continue and you lose, you lose. You're running the 100m sprint in the Olympics and you tear a hamstring, its rough, but you lost. The race isn't called a NC.

You're playing in the Wimbledon final and you break an ankle while being one game from winning it all - and you're given the choice of trying to finish with the broken ankle, or defaulting.

Same in MMA or any combat sport. If it wasn't your opponent's foul, and you can't continue, then you lose. And it has to be that way. Otherwise everyone would be arranging a random injury when it looked like they were going to lose.

This post nailed it.

Stout got the TKO/KO finish bonus, not Max.

Same in MMA or any combat sport. Once the fight goes past a certain point (varies between organizations), if it wasn't your opponent's foul, and you can't continue, then you lose. And it has to be that way. Otherwise everyone would be arranging a random injury when it looked like they were going to lose.

Michael Johnson fans would like a word with you...

bailey-johnson.jpg

First reply got it spot on. End thread.

Pretty much this. Anywho, who's to say the injury wasn't caused by the opponent?

It's only a "No Contest" when it's an accidental illegal strike and the fighter can't continue.

For example, when Wagner Prado was on the receiving end of a Phil Davis eye poke. Couldn't continue, fight was ruled a NC.

Why in the hell would it be a NC

He got the injury because Holloway underhooked his arm and basically threw his whole weight on it, that is a W

Why in the hell would it be a NC

He got the injury because Holloway underhooked his arm and basically threw his whole weight on it, that is a W

Lol what an impressive Win. Holloway using injury tactics to get the title. Stfu. It was definitely a freak injury that ruined an ALREADY shit card

Per the Unified rules:

Knockout by:
when Referee stops the contest (TKO)
when an injury as a result of a legal maneuver is sever enough to terminate a bout (TKO)
when contestant being rendered unconscious due strikes or kicks (KO)

No contests are typically reserved for injuries due to illegal strikes like an eye poke or a commission ruling due to drug failure or other schenanigans.

Fedor's first loss gets brought up a lot because it was ruled a TKO when it should have been a no contest. It was an illegal headbutt which caused a cut and a stoppage. If it was a punch or kick that caused it, then it would be a TKO.

Last edited:

Like Jose with his period pains.

Back