Does Yuki Nakai smoke weed?

ChickenBrother

JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT
@Black
Reaction score
This got my attention because it's Yuki Nakai, not some random aikido guy doing aggressive negotiations with a kendo guy.

His thoughts on laying back like "come into my guard and meet your doom" as a "safe" position in MMA:

I'd prepare myself to be in this position at any time. He probably can't jump in as long as I'm in it. It's rarely used in MMA today, but it's virtually impossible to lose if there is no space or time limit. Unless my opponent is a far superior ground grappler, it's very unlikely to lose. It keeps me very safe. It's amazing!

I don't think he's trolling but unless he's high or way behind the times (unlikely), I struggle to see where he's coming from. He says this in the context of a hypothetical fight vs. the karate guy in the vid who, props to him, is indeed shockingly fast for a 57 yo. But I feel like Nakai is flattering him and perhaps giving him too much respect.

Last edited:
He could get headbutted. Seems out of touch. But yeah a karate guy isn’t doing anything to him

He's talking MMA but not clear if he means unified rules or ONE FC (where his protege Aoki fights) which is Pride rules + elbows. But either way, just falling back into this position seems like a terrible idea in grappling, let alone MMA.

I'm not a furry caterpillar lapel guard devotee but I've tried this position many times in both gi and nogi and IMHO, it literally sucks against a trained rolling partner. Maybe 1 out of 10 times, I can get an X-guard sweep or something but I'm starting from a disadvantage because I have no grips whereas other guy can grip my pants for the pass/post on my shins, etc. Starting in seated guard and establishing grips before falling back makes sense for grappling only ruleset but will get your head knocked clean off in MMA. If you're the superior grappler, you can capitalize from anywhere but it sounds insane for Nakai to say "it's virtually impossible to lose if there is no space or time limit."

And there's a few other headscratchers. He says it's pointless to attempt any strikes against a superior striker. And he seems to only attempt singles and low singles. He never tries to tie up or establish lapel grips from standing which is curious given his Judo background and that Karate guy is shown to possess zero knowledge of TDs or ground grappling. Karate guy literally says his "core is taken" and he can't do anything when Nakai shows a neutral over under tie up LMAO.

Isn't he like blind in the orher eye?

He went permanently blind in his right eye after getting illegally eye gouged by Gerard Gordeau in the opening round of Vale Tudo Japan 1995 but still won via heel hook. Then he took GnP from 250 lbs Craig Pittman that fucked up his other eye before submitting him. Then he went into the final vs. Rickson Gracie basically blind in both eyes and he was 135 lbs for that tournament. He kept his blindness a secret so MMA wouldn't get banned in Japan. Then he started studying BJJ and became the first Japanese BJJ BB. Dude is a straight legend and badass.

Last edited:
He went permanently blind in his right eye after getting illegally eye gouged by Gerard Gordeau in the opening round of Vale Tudo Japan 1995 but still won via heel hook. Then he took GnP from 250 lbs Craig Pittman that fucked up his other eye before submitting him. Then he went into the final vs. Rickson Gracie basically blind in both eyes and he was 135 lbs for that tournament. He kept his blindness a secret so MMA wouldn't get banned in Japan. Then he started studying BJJ and became the first Japanese BJJ BB. Dude is a straight legend and badass.

And the Gordeau saga did not end up there...after what happened Gordeau went back to Japan to corner some guys and work with Shooto and who was the one that was put in charge of driving him around?? Freaking Yuki Nakai...I am surprised that nothing happened to him during those travels with Nakai

And the Gordeau saga did not end up there...after what happened Gordeau went back to Japan to corner some guys and work with Shooto and who was the one that was put in charge of driving him around?? Freaking Yuki Nakai...I am surprised that nothing happened to him during those travels with Nakai

Damn WTF. But all I've ever heard or seen out of Nakai is pure class. Gorgeau comes off like a total shithead. He's been asked about eye gouging Nakai in interviews and he's been unrepentent, saying the ref should have stopped the fight and since he didn't, that's why he put Nakai's eye out. I wonder what those two talked about in the car, away from the cameras.

Last edited:

I don't think he's trolling but unless he's high or way behind the times (unlikely), I struggle to see where he's coming from. He says this in the context of a hypothetical fight vs. the karate guy in the vid who, props to him, is indeed shockingly fast for a 57 yo. But I feel like Nakai is flattering him and perhaps giving him too much respect.

He is flattering him. Yuki Nakkai and a bunch of local martial arts experts collaborated to exchange techniques and cross promote. He's not going to say "Jiu jitsu is the best, that's why I do it." He's trying to let everyone shine by identifying strong points in those arts. Like being a good house guest..

If they don't (or if Nakai was too much of a gentleman to bring it up), that must have been the worst case of "Ima get you back MFer" eyes in the rear view mirror probably ever.
I always wondered about that. I've never heard whether Yuki Nakai ever had any resentment towards Gordeau for the incident or not, because that is something which really depends on the personality type.

I always wondered about that. I've never heard whether Yuki Nakai ever had any resentment towards Gordeau for the incident or not, because that is something which really depends on the personality type.

no man.
They are chums.

upload_2022-9-27_22-13-31.jpeg

No one can get into anyones head and get someone’s true feelings but I’ve read Nakai say more than once that they’re cool.

We just got to take him at his word.

no man.
They are chums.

View attachment 945519

No one can get into anyones head and get someone’s true feelings but I’ve read Nakai say more than once that they’re cool.

We just got to take him at his word.
Gordeau seems to be hated more by the audience than by the people he actually deals with personally apparently. Rutten and the RINGS guys are friends with him, Gracie and him are cool regardless of the bite / tap ignore thing at UFC 1 and Inoki seems to like him too. I can see why he kept popping up in pro wrestling.

Back