Does yours go up every year?

It used to but that’s one advantage of getting older I guess, it is fairly steady these days.

Whenever my car insurance goes up, I look at moneysupermarket and gocompare and I look for better deals.

I’ll call my existing insurer and ask them to match the best price, and if they cannot then I will change it.

My insurance went down £2 a month for the year, but I could have had £14 a month off for a year if I switched, so I did.

They start raising rates or handle a claim slow I start looking elsewhere. Sometimes every few years I'll just get some random quotes just to see what other are offering.

Insurance companies:

1) Typically rate your risk with a statistically computed combination of comparing you to people of similar characteristics (age, gender, location, etc) and your past history.*
2) Their charge is generally driven by both their best estimate of your risk and the amount to fix any damage in a claim.

The cost of fixing damage to (or caused by) a car is always going up, same as all other goods and services go steadily up due to inflation. Therefore, even if your risk is assessed exactly the same as before, constantly rising potential damage costs would dictate an increase in charges.

* A new twist is telematics, where your detailed driving habits (roads you use, mileage, time of day, speeds you go, how hard you brake, etc) can also be used in the rating.
If your girlfriend thinks she's that much safer than everyone else, she could try this. It might say she drives a lot like others in her demographic. But it might say she's safer and deserves a lower rate, too.

My car insurance goes down every year.

I've been rear ended twice in the last year. Once at a red light. It turned green and the guy behind me just drove into me. The other at a four way stop. I stopped and the guy behind me just kept going. No damage to my van in either accident but both guys tried to act like it was my fault until I got out and they realized I was twice their size. Both brown guys with FOB accents.

Apparently you get slammed for going over the speed limit with telematics. Unless she is the type to go 25 in a 30mph zone, I'd avoid it.

You have to shop around every couple of years.

Back