Does your school walk the gauntlet? Or...

My school does the gauntlet, and puts people to receive a "sport jiu jitsu beating", which is rolling against two people, rolling against graduates, having to do a lot of shit until you're completely exhausted, and so on. If you don't want to go through it, you don't. I would be offended if I don't have to go through it. One of the blue belts got awarded his blue, but didn't take part on the gauntlet because "it could inflame my backne". Then he came in a handful of classes with the blue, and left.

No Gauntlet... Just a handshake a new belt and a bunch of jealous looks by the guys who got passed over :)

The place where I trained in Korea had a belt test and a belt whipping gauntlet. Now I train at a Gracie Barra place in the US and all we do is clap when someone gets a belt. Maybe it's to avoid scaring the women away.

Roll with fresh partners.
Crawl whip.

We get choked with the belt by the instructor.

Edit: There's a David Carradine joke here somewhere, haha.

people applauded and then I went back in line. Pretty cool huh?

blue belt: walk down and walk back. no running allowed.

purple belt: 2 x blue

brown belt: 3 x blue

BB: you stay on the ground while all the BB and brown belts smash you with their belts for about 20 seconds.

Gauntlet. And they whip you HARDDDDDDDDD bareback. I'm pretty nervous for my first time

...you get your name called, and you get given your belt. Sometimes the Brazilians throw you or chase you a little bit, but not in any kind of official way.

...and that's about it. Call us old fashioned. @_@

Take care.

Oli

P.S. Oh, and if you get your black, you have to make a speech.

You get your belt and everyone claps. Then...

some of us shake hands + fist bump/just shake hands...gnarly? I thought so too.

Gauntlet. My professor never takes part in it but one of my brown belt instructors always encourages it and takes part.

Our congratulatory arse whooping isnt 100% consistant, but you almost always get it for a new belt. I was basically put on the mat and told I'm not allowed to leave it for the class, followed by 45 minutes of rolling with whomever was next in line (of course everyone but "the lucky ones" knew what was going on so the intensity was moved up a few notches).

But others were victems of what we call "shark bait", which is basically being thrown on the mat and everyone gets a 90 second or so turn to demolish you without a break. Basically the same as a lot of others are doing, just with a different name.

Back