Does your school walk the gauntlet? Or...

NateTx4112

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Does your school have you walk the gauntlet when you receive a belt and take whippings by everyones belt to your back? Or do they do something different?

At my school you run the gauntlet of upper belts meaning 8-10 mins of rolling with a fresh upper rank every 90 seconds or so jumping in going 100% while you start in bottom posistion and do your best to survive the time on the clock.

Anyone else do something different?

We call it the Iron Man at my school...

Guys getting promoted are put on the mat and the others take turn grappling with them non stop for about 30-40 minutes until they are completely exhausted. The point is basically for the promotees to survive and for the others to submit them as often as possible. They don't even get to rest at all between partners. When we switch the guy coming in usually goes straight into backmount or whatever position is available and starts working a submission :)

Then they get whipped by the instructor :)

In ours you get a choke, a lock and a throw by the three top BBs.

We get thrown by everyone in class and then have to throw everyone in class basically until you start throwing people from one knee because you're so tired.

Gauntlet. No kimono. Everybody gets to whip you. But we only do it from blue to brown.

Blue belts go through a sort of torture camp, 3 hours of cardio, drills, rolling, cardio, drills, rolling, etc.

No one below blue belt (except those "testing") are allowed to be there.

"Rolling Gauntlet" like some of you guys do. Roll with everyone in the school, 1 minute intervals, no rest, from lowest to highest belt. Throws, hard takedowns, locks, chokes, knee on belly riding, etc. It's all about survival.

Blue - 15min
Purple - 30min
Brown - 45min
Black - 1hour

we do a form of it...

the guy getting promoted has to roll for 3 minutes with everybody in attendance, starting with the least experienced guys and working up the ranks and ending with the instructor. There is no break allowed and the next guy is encouraged to jump on you as soon as the 3 minutes are up. We're encouraged to roll hard and submit the guy as many times as possible. we keep a bucket handy in case you have to puke. (if you puke, you have to rally and keep going) the goal is survival, nothing more.

when I got promoted to blue, it was right after I went on a week long beach trip, which included lots of relaxation, eating, and ingestion of intoxicants. so obviously I wasn't in peak condition at the time...my first class back - surprise! - my turn to run the gauntlet. There were 15 people in attendance so it lasted about 45 minutes. honestly I enjoyed it. I became so exhausted that I entered a trance-like state and lost track of time. couldn't even count how many times I had to tap towards the end. but I think it's a good thing. shows you that you are capable of taking things a lot farther than you might think. I walked away feeling good, although I was totally spent and sore the next day.

At the formal ceremony, no. But the following week, there is usually a small hazing of either throws or gauntlet. Just for laughs, throws are soft and the whips in the gauntlet are very light.

Gauntlet with Gi. I can't imagine how bad your back will turn out in a nogi gauntlet.

we roll with a fresh partner thrown at us every 2 minutes with no breaks.

blue-30 minutes
purple -40
brown-50
black-an hour

when i tested for my blue i commented afterwards that i felt like i'd just been jumped into a gang. :icon_lol:

Walk the Gauntlet with NO gi on, that shit with the gi is weakkkkk lol. Were having our promotion this month, and some of my really good training partners are getting promoted so you know I'm getting them good, Ill get you guys a video to show you how we roll :icon_chee.

My instructor lines everyone up against the wall, by belt order, and then calls people out and hands them their belt. No gauntlet, no whipping, no tests, nothing but a hug and a smile because you've ALREADY earned it.

In fact my instructor laughs at the whole "whipping" phenomena that seems to be going around now. He said it started with people getting whipped on their ass a little bit as they walked through everyone. Now it's gotten to the point of "no kimono, beat the shit out of him." He said that was never the intent. It's not some gang initiation. He actually stopped the practice 10 years ago or so because it was getting out of hand.

I never understood how the gauntlet (belt whipping version) was compatible with the values and philosophy of BJJ. What I like about training is the brotherhood and mutual respect in the academy. The gauntlet seems no different than a frat hazing exercise in sadism.

I used to train at a place that did it, and experienced it myself. Sure it's all in good fun, it didn't hurt that bad, but I just don't see why anyone gets off on it. But to each his own.

Where I train now, they don't do it.

Gauntlet with Gi. I can't imagine how bad your back will turn out in a nogi gauntlet.

It sucks - but only hurts for a few hours after.

A brazilian BB watching mine said something that roughly translated to "blue on the hips, red on the back."

Here is a video of an old one from our club.
YouTube - ‪Jorge Gurgel awards two Blue Belts‬‎

I forgot to mention: you have to go through twice. And you have to walk, not run.

They do it here as well. The intervals I think are longer than 90 seconds but usually the higher belt ranks take turns jumping on top of the person getting their new belt. I've seen it go on for anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour per person. Most often, it's the person rolling in class for about half an hour and then the higher guys start piling in. Then afterwards, the gi's and rash guards come off and the whippin' begins.

Just a ton of rolling til exhaustion then getting thrown by higher ranking belts.

Back